Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Combi fed Mira 415

I noticed a damp patch on my ceiling today and needed to go in the loft to
sort out the packing gland on one of the two stop taps that feed the shower
mixer. Both are turned down quite low in the winter in an attempt to reduce
the flow so that the combi can cope with the low inlet temperature and still
ensure a hot shower.

(As it is a balancing type valve I do turn down both the hot and the cold)

John

It occurred to me that there might be a better type of in-line valve to
isolate and reduce the flow to the shower mixer. I guess an isolating ball
valve would introduce noise when turned down.

Any suggestions?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
I noticed a damp patch on my ceiling today and needed to go in the loft to
sort out the packing gland on one of the two stop taps that feed the shower
mixer. Both are turned down quite low in the winter in an attempt to reduce
the flow so that the combi can cope with the low inlet temperature and
still ensure a hot shower.

(As it is a balancing type valve I do turn down both the hot and the cold)

Yes to be sure. No need for valves if flow regulators are installed in each
line.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
I noticed a damp patch on my ceiling today and needed to go in the loft to
sort out the packing gland on one of the two stop taps that feed the
shower mixer. Both are turned down quite low in the winter in an attempt
to reduce the flow so that the combi can cope with the low inlet
temperature and still ensure a hot shower.

(As it is a balancing type valve I do turn down both the hot and the
cold)

Yes to be sure. No need for valves if flow regulators are installed in
each line.

Could you recommend a specific valve? (will do some Googling)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
I noticed a damp patch on my ceiling today and needed to go in the loft
to sort out the packing gland on one of the two stop taps that feed the
shower mixer. Both are turned down quite low in the winter in an attempt
to reduce the flow so that the combi can cope with the low inlet
temperature and still ensure a hot shower.

(As it is a balancing type valve I do turn down both the hot and the
cold)

Yes to be sure. No need for valves if flow regulators are installed in
each line.

Could you recommend a specific valve? (will do some Googling)

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/099.asp
Look at part No: 17527 and associated parts. Try around 7 litres/min on
each of hot and cold. Then guaranteed good performance all year round.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
I noticed a damp patch on my ceiling today and needed to go in the loft
to sort out the packing gland on one of the two stop taps that feed the
shower mixer. Both are turned down quite low in the winter in an attempt
to reduce the flow so that the combi can cope with the low inlet
temperature and still ensure a hot shower.

(As it is a balancing type valve I do turn down both the hot and the
cold)

Yes to be sure. No need for valves if flow regulators are installed in
each line.

Could you recommend a specific valve? (will do some Googling)

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/099.asp
Look at part No: 17527 and associated parts. Try around 7 litres/min on
each of hot and cold. Then guaranteed good performance all year round.

Many thanks. What is your reason for suggesting 7 litres / min.

Incidentally, I have the shower head with the smaller holes - I spotted a
single flow reducer that fits after the mixer valve. I did have some success
with a washer fitter in order to reduce the output - but it feels better to
reduce the flow to the valve.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
I noticed a damp patch on my ceiling today and needed to go in the loft
to sort out the packing gland on one of the two stop taps that feed the
shower mixer. Both are turned down quite low in the winter in an
attempt to reduce the flow so that the combi can cope with the low
inlet temperature and still ensure a hot shower.

(As it is a balancing type valve I do turn down both the hot and the
cold)

Yes to be sure. No need for valves if flow regulators are installed in
each line.

Could you recommend a specific valve? (will do some Googling)

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/099.asp
Look at part No: 17527 and associated parts. Try around 7 litres/min on
each of hot and cold. Then guaranteed good performance all year round.

Many thanks. What is your reason for suggesting 7 litres / min.

7 litres/min usually gives a decent shower. If in winter the cold mains is
very cold, you may need to turn the valve more to over hot, but it still
will give a decent shower. You don't want 12 litres/min coming through which
is just warm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
[...]

I suppose I need to measure what I am getting now and make some estimates

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just took a measurement with a bucket and a watch. Current delivery is 11.5
Litres / Minute.

I went onto the Mira site and asked their tech people and they sell a
restrictor for the outlet side of the shower.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Yep a bucket and clock to give hot and cold at litres/min

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

news

"John" wrote in message
[...]

11.5 Litres / min with the head on full. With it on the concentrated setting
then it is about 9.5 litres / min.

I am thinking I need a 0.13 Litres / second pair of valves (7.8 litres /
min) this should give the boiler more of a chance. Fitting 2 new valves
should be more reliable than the 20 year old stop taps that have leaked
slightly on several occasions.

mira 88 + combi boiler Cuprager UK diy 2 July 27th 07 11:47 AM
Which Mira shower for a combi? [email protected] UK diy 7 June 23rd 06 09:00 AM
Mira Event with Combi Question L Reid UK diy 4 January 16th 06 10:39 PM
Combi and Mira 415 Shower john UK diy 1 November 9th 05 08:56 PM
Mira 415 BIV David M Hodgkinson UK diy 4 June 29th 04 03:10 PM