Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

Default using a roller with waterbased quick drying satin?

Suffering from asthma, I've always liked the quick drying waterbased gloss
and satin paints from a "not nearly killing me" point - but for areas that
take a bit more wear and tear I've always until now suffered with the
normal smelly stuff which is much, much tougher and much much easier to get
a decent finish on.

However, having been impressed with the scrubability of the Dulux real life
Matt emulsions for removing kid hand prints etc it has been decided that I'll
be using the Dulux real life satin waterbased paint to do all the woodwork
in the hall, stairs and landing. This is fine for skirtings and things but
it's a real pain to get a decent finish on doors and larger areas as the
damn stuff dries so quickly!

Following some threads on here recently, I invested in some decent synthetic
brushes and yes, they are a lot better but I'm still pondering using a foam
roller to attack the doors. The tin just says apply with a brush and doesn't
mention rollers at all - has anyone on here tried it? With half decent results?

cheers,

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 09:17:51 +0000, dmc wrote:

[...]

==================================
I can't comment on the paint because I haven't used it, but a word of
caution about using a roller is in order. If you haven't previously
used a roller you might not be aware that foam rollers can produce quite a
bit of spatter into the air which might affect your asthma. Obviously it
depends on how vigorously you use the roller but it's nearly always
present to some extent.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dmc wrote:
[...]

You might consider trying a nice big pad, rather than a roller. Pads
can be just as fast as rollers, and they don't 'spray' little drops of
paint.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:
dmc wrote:

Following some threads on here recently, I invested in some decent synthetic
brushes and yes, they are a lot better but I'm still pondering using a foam
roller to attack the doors. The tin just says apply with a brush and doesn't
mention rollers at all - has anyone on here tried it? With half decent results?

You might consider trying a nice big pad, rather than a roller. Pads
can be just as fast as rollers, and they don't 'spray' little drops of
paint.

Hmmm. I've got some paint pads here actually....mebbe I'll give that a go!

I noticed this morning that wickes appear to sell 9" foam rollers now - do
a door in a few strokes \o/

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dmc writes
In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:
dmc wrote:

Following some threads on here recently, I invested in some decent synthetic
brushes and yes, they are a lot better but I'm still pondering using a foam
roller to attack the doors. The tin just says apply with a brush and doesn't
mention rollers at all - has anyone on here tried it? With half decent results?

You might consider trying a nice big pad, rather than a roller. Pads
can be just as fast as rollers, and they don't 'spray' little drops of
paint.

Hmmm. I've got some paint pads here actually....mebbe I'll give that a go!

Also, keep the room you are painting cool to extend the drying time,
shouldn't be a problem at this time of year.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:

You might consider trying a nice big pad, rather than a roller. Pads
can be just as fast as rollers, and they don't 'spray' little drops of
paint.

Ok, using Dulux Real life waterbased satin with paint pads isn't a great
idea - near impossible to get any sort of decent finish (paint a bit too
think maybe?).

Using a foam roller however is a *huge* improvement. It's still not as
great a finish as you can get with a decent tradition high VOC paint but
given the lack of fumes and the fact that I got two coats on the doors
*and* they were dry by the time the kids got home makes it a winner for
me \o/

Cheers,

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dmc wrote:
In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:

You might consider trying a nice big pad, rather than a roller. Pads
can be just as fast as rollers, and they don't 'spray' little drops
of paint.

Ok, using Dulux Real life waterbased satin with paint pads isn't a
great idea - near impossible to get any sort of decent finish (paint
a bit too think maybe?).

Using a foam roller however is a *huge* improvement. It's still not as
great a finish as you can get with a decent tradition high VOC paint
but given the lack of fumes and the fact that I got two coats on the
doors *and* they were dry by the time the kids got home makes it a
winner for me \o/

Hmmm. Interesting. Used a foam roller to apply gloss paint for the first
time today - for about 30 seconds. Finish was appalling.

The kit included a tray, frame & 2 roller sleeves - a fluffy one for
emulsion & a foam one for gloss - so sayeth the instructions.

Do foam rollers & gloss work or is it me?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 00:11:10 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

... dmc wrote:
... In article ,
... S Viemeister wrote:
[...]

To get a nice finish after using a roller .... just quickly brush over
with a wide brush ... it only takes a minute.

Mike P
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
dmc wrote:

Using a foam roller however is a *huge* improvement. It's still not as
great a finish as you can get with a decent tradition high VOC paint
but given the lack of fumes and the fact that I got two coats on the
doors *and* they were dry by the time the kids got home makes it a
winner for me \o/

Hmmm. Interesting. Used a foam roller to apply gloss paint for the first
time today - for about 30 seconds. Finish was appalling.

This wasn't gloss - it's satin finish so maybe more forgiving?

The kit included a tray, frame & 2 roller sleeves - a fluffy one for
emulsion & a foam one for gloss - so sayeth the instructions.

yep

Do foam rollers & gloss work or is it me?

For gloss I find a quick flat with a decent brush sorts it - *if it is
decent smelly paint*. For waterbased stuff it just dries too fast and you get
awful brush marks unless you are really really quick.

For the sating stuff the finish is a bit more forgiving - 2 or three quick
coats with the foam roller and it's not bad - not up to a really flat decent
gloss sure but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages for me :-)

Darren

Quick drying paint F UK diy 15 October 29th 07 09:25 PM
Quick drying filler PJK UK diy 11 June 28th 07 08:25 PM
Mix satin and gloss poly? todd Woodworking 5 June 16th 06 09:40 PM
satin or gloss woodstain? newbietothis UK diy 5 December 17th 05 05:44 PM
How quick is quick curing silicone? Nicholas UK diy 4 January 6th 05 10:00 PM