Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Far from Ideal boiler

My Ideal Isar M30100 has worked in fits and starts over the years,
recently managing a record-breaking 2 whole years without failure but
it looks like the PCB has finally decided to join it's many
antecedents (seven at the last count, most under guarantee, thank
goodness) by presenting a dead short to the mains...and on a Friday
night to boot :-(

So should I give up and replace the whole damn thing or throw another
£200 at it and at least get a year's warranty on the new pcb? Is
anyone repairing pcbs nowadays or are they still 'disposable'?

If I did get a new boiler, which brand is least likely to contain the
kind of electronics which spontaneously commits suicide if you dare to
apply power to it?

Last question... why did I think it was a good idea to dump the idea
of a hot water cylinder with it's inherent backup immersion heater,
for a bloody combi... (no need to answer that one)

mike, anticipating a frosty weekend ahead, from the family as well as
the weather.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Mike Parkins writes
My Ideal Isar M30100 has worked in fits and starts over the years,
recently managing a record-breaking 2 whole years without failure but
it looks like the PCB has finally decided to join it's many
antecedents (seven at the last count, most under guarantee, thank
goodness) by presenting a dead short to the mains...and on a Friday
night to boot :-(

That'll be the transformer melting - look at the cover, it will have
melted round the transformer

So should I give up and replace the whole damn thing or throw another
£200 at it and at least get a year's warranty on the new pcb? Is
anyone repairing pcbs nowadays or are they still 'disposable'?

I have been repairing pcbs for 15 years (www.cetltd.com)

Unfortunately, we're overwhelmed with work ATM. If it's just a Tx
replacement, and the rest tests out as OK, then I can repair yours. If
it needs any deeper investigation, I don't have time

If I did get a new boiler, which brand is least likely to contain the
kind of electronics which spontaneously commits suicide if you dare to
apply power to it?

Worcester seem to be the flavour of the month ATM, unfortunately, this
isn't the best time of year to replace a boiler

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Dec, 00:55, geoff wrote:

That'll be the transformer melting - look at the cover, it will have
melted round the transformer

geoff

True Enough - The 10V secondary is short circuit. Oddly enough the
primary appears to be open cct so I can't figure out why its blowing
fuses.
I guess I'm not likely to find a replacement pcb or transformer over
the weekend so I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and phone Ideal.
thanks Geoff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message
,

snipped
I have been repairing pcbs for 15 years (www.cetltd.com)

So you should have an idea as to the pcbs from boilers that break down more
often than others.
Care to share that info with us please?

Don (who is currently deciding on which system boiler (Viessmann?) to
replace an existing sick one)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Donwill
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message
,

snipped
I have been repairing pcbs for 15 years (www.cetltd.com)

So you should have an idea as to the pcbs from boilers that break down more
often than others.
Care to share that info with us please?

Aha - someone who asks the question the right way round (as opposed to
what's the best)

However, you have to take into account several factors

1) what I see is skewed by getting a lot of pcbs in from service
companies (whose main work is for local authorities who have put in
budget boilers)

2) it's normally several years before I get to see pcbs from a new
boiler on the market

3) It's not only PCBS which cause boiler failure

Don (who is currently deciding on which system boiler (Viessmann?) to
replace an existing sick one)

Yeah, or Worcester or Vaillant, these seem to be the boilers of choice
nowadays

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Donwill
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message
,

snipped
[...]

But not the best Maxie. Viessmann is better as is ECO-Hometec, Atag and
Atmos. I like Atmos.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-08 13:42:52 +0000, "Doctor Drivel" said:

But not the best Maxie. Viessmann is better as is ECO-Hometec, Atag and
Atmos. I like Atmos.

Sure you're not getting confused with Thermos?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Donwill
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message
,

snipped
[...]

dIMM - he mentioned Viessmann in his thread and I agreed with him

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 13:42:52 +0000, Doctor Drivel wrote:

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Donwill
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message
,

snipped
[...]

Another factor to consider is the availability of spares. Spares for
makes with a relatively small installed base are less likely to be
carried at a local boiler spares stockist. True they will all be
available to order possibly for next day. If Veissman are "better" then
they are good value as they are similar in price to the Vaillant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Donwill
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message
,

snipped
[...]

Maxie, it was clear you were saying Viessamn is equal to W-B and Vaillant.
That is not the case. How is the Oriental enchantress Maxie?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 8, 12:18 am, Mike Parkins wrote:
[...]

I have an Ideal Isar M30100. It is on it's fourth PCB, third fan and
something else has been replaced. I can no longer tolerant the annual
breakdowns and resultant taking time off work to wait for plumbers,
the costs, not to mention the fact that my wife, not unreasonably,
does not appreciate being without heating or a hot shower for weeks
every winter.

I'm trying to get something back from Ideal. Have your tried? Any
success? There is clearly a problem with the PCB in this model.

Giles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I have had many problems with my Ideal (oh the irony) Isar M301000 and
would be interested to hear the experiences of others.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 08:05:41 -0800, gileshodgson wrote:

On Dec 8, 12:18 am, Mike Parkins wrote:
My Ideal Isar M30100 has worked in fits and starts over the years,
recently managing a record-breaking 2 whole years without failure but
it looks like the PCB has finally decided to join it's many antecedents
(seven at the last count, most under guarantee, thank goodness) by
presenting a dead short to the mains...and on a Friday night to boot
:-(

So should I give up and replace the whole damn thing or throw another
£200 at it and at least get a year's warranty on the new pcb? Is
anyone repairing pcbs nowadays or are they still 'disposable'?

If I did get a new boiler, which brand is least likely to contain the
kind of electronics which spontaneously commits suicide if you dare to
apply power to it?

Last question... why did I think it was a good idea to dump the idea of
a hot water cylinder with it's inherent backup immersion heater, for a
bloody combi... (no need to answer that one)

mike, anticipating a frosty weekend ahead, from the family as well as
the weather.

I have had many problems with my Ideal (oh the irony) Isar M301000 and
would be interested to hear the experiences of others.

The only one I put in has operated flawlessly for three years. However
that is a small sample.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I noticed that eBay has sprouted several pcb vendors recently so I
sent mine off for repair. Sadly, it still doesn't work. Apart from a
brief whirr from the diverter valve the first time it was powered,
there's no display or other activity, just a glowing power led. Can't
figure this out at all since I know the only fault before was a
shorted transformer on the old pcb :-(
mike.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Mike
Parkins writes
I noticed that eBay has sprouted several pcb vendors recently so I
sent mine off for repair. Sadly, it still doesn't work. Apart from a
brief whirr from the diverter valve the first time it was powered,
there's no display or other activity, just a glowing power led. Can't
figure this out at all since I know the only fault before was a
shorted transformer on the old pcb :-(
mike.

Who to ?

--