Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to fix a shower arm

I've bought a shower arm which will be fed from the other side of the wall.
ie., the idea is that it will just stick out from the wall over the shower
tray with no visible pipes.

Problem is, I don't know how to fix it as there is no bracket, just a screw
thread on the wall end for joining to the feed pipe.

Any help appreciated.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 7, 9:52 pm, "Mark" wrote:
I've bought a shower arm which will be fed from the other side of the wall.
ie., the idea is that it will just stick out from the wall over the shower
tray with no visible pipes.

Problem is, I don't know how to fix it as there is no bracket, just a screw
thread on the wall end for joining to the feed pipe.

Any help appreciated.

mark

I always use a wall plate elbow screwed into timber in the wall:
http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=74070

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 06:38:23 -0800 (PST),
" wrote:

On Dec 7, 9:52 pm, "Mark" wrote:
I've bought a shower arm which will be fed from the other side of the wall.
ie., the idea is that it will just stick out from the wall over the shower
tray with no visible pipes.

Problem is, I don't know how to fix it as there is no bracket, just a screw
thread on the wall end for joining to the feed pipe.

Any help appreciated.

mark

I always use a wall plate elbow screwed into timber in the wall:
http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=74070

Do you mean in a hidden place . I suspect the OP is meaning some sort
of back plate made in chrome that the pipe fits in to or
through....something like this but with the water entry coming in from
the back rather than below as in this item .

http://screwfix.com/prods/21824/Bath...e-Set-150mm-6#

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message
I've bought a shower arm which will be fed from the other side of the
wall.
ie., the idea is that it will just stick out from the wall over the shower
tray with no visible pipes.

Problem is, I don't know how to fix it as there is no bracket, just a
screw thread on the wall end for joining to the feed pipe.

Any help appreciated.

mark

This is the shower arm. The cover plate at the wall end is just a tinny
cover.

mark

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-WAY-CHROME-T...QQcmdZViewItem

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 17:09:50 -0000, "Mark"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
I've bought a shower arm which will be fed from the other side of the
wall.
ie., the idea is that it will just stick out from the wall over the shower
tray with no visible pipes.

Problem is, I don't know how to fix it as there is no bracket, just a
screw thread on the wall end for joining to the feed pipe.

Any help appreciated.

mark

This is the shower arm. The cover plate at the wall end is just a tinny
cover.

mark

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-WAY-CHROME-T...QQcmdZViewItem

Ah . I see. So something like someone else suggested
http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=74070
might well do as it will be hidden in or behind the wall

the wall

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 8, 5:09 pm, "Mark" wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message

I've bought a shower arm which will be fed from the other side of the
wall.
ie., the idea is that it will just stick out from the wall over the shower
tray with no visible pipes.

Problem is, I don't know how to fix it as there is no bracket, just a
screw thread on the wall end for joining to the feed pipe.

Any help appreciated.

mark

This is the shower arm. The cover plate at the wall end is just a tinny
cover.

mark

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-WAY-CHROME-T...VALVE-MIXER-SE...

Yes - use a wall plate elbow inside the wall. Cut a small hole in the
wall directly in front of it (larger than the arm, smaller than the
cover) and after tiling screw the arm into the elbow. If the distances
don't work out, you can use http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=77614
(without the nut and olive) to extend.

It's quite hard to get a perfect seal with PTFE tape, as if you screw
the arm in too far and have to unscrew it even a fraction, it can
start to leak, so I tend to use
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/42142/...-Seal-Cord-50m
instead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message

"Mark" wrote in message
I've bought a shower arm which will be fed from the other side of the
wall.
ie., the idea is that it will just stick out from the wall over the
shower tray with no visible pipes.

Problem is, I don't know how to fix it as there is no bracket, just a
screw thread on the wall end for joining to the feed pipe.

Any help appreciated.

mark

This is the shower arm. The cover plate at the wall end is just a tinny
cover.

mark

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-WAY-CHROME-T...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll do it with a backplate elbow with long
screws.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 18:53:46 -0000, "Mark"
wrote:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll do it with a backplate elbow with

long screws.

mark

We all need one or two of them from time to time !!!!! :-)