Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT. - OK Firth lets sort it out.

First of all apologies to the group for bringing this up again. I've changed the header and marked the post OT.

I do need to sort this out.

Steve. You have openly accused me of;
a.. stealth spamming
b.. dragging my tedious business into this newsgroup when it is, was and remains off-topic
c.. spurious excuses I find to mention my business.
d.. every few minutes that I start threads about my van with links to my website,
e.. moan about another handyman with links to my website.
f.. Post photos of jobs done by other people with links to my website.
g.. Start to bleat about something with links to my website. Generally mentioning that I happen to be a handyman again and
again and again.
h.. a policy of unsolicited commercial advertising to a DIY newsgroup
i.. stealth advertising
j.. thinly disguised business advertising
k.. cunning wheeze's to mention my business every three minutes
All taken verbatim from your posts. Please don't attempt to deny anything, it would simply be tedious.

Ok Steve. You now have one single chance to explain. If you screw this up your credibility is gone completely. **** or bust.

Two very simple questions, your starter for ten.

Question One;

What benefit would I accrue by advertising a handyman business to dedicated Do It Yourself people - who don't need or want a handyman?

Question Two;

Why would I wish to advertise my business to people outside my small operational area?

Over to you ****wit. Answer the questions & you win the argument.

I await your answer with interest. After that you go back into the kill file.

Once again my apologies to the group.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I do need to sort this out.

Rearrange these words to form a phrase "A life get"

I've pointed out that you get advantage from the exposure. At the very
least in the form of increased web hits for your site.

However that's irrelevant. What is relevant is that dragging your
business into every single conversation and starting threads about your
business is tedious. As indeed are people who feel impelled to start
threads with my name in the title.

Grow up, get over it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

I do need to sort this out.

Rearrange these words to form a phrase "A life get"

Some aren't thick skinned.

I've pointed out that you get advantage from the exposure. At the very
least in the form of increased web hits for your site.

So? No one is forced to go to his website.

However that's irrelevant. What is relevant is that dragging your
business into every single conversation and starting threads about your
business is tedious. As indeed are people who feel impelled to start
threads with my name in the title.

So killfile him. I personally find much of interest in his posts. As I'd
guess do the majority here.

Grow up, get over it.

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've pointed out that you get advantage from the exposure. At the very
least in the form of increased web hits for your site.

So? No one is forced to go to his website.

So it gives a reason to continually wibble about his bloody tedious
business and to spatter his posts with references to that site.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:

So it gives a reason to continually wibble about his bloody tedious
business and to spatter his posts with references to that site.

It's widely accepted that it's ok to include pretty much whatever you
want in your sig as long as you keep it to 4 lines or less.

I really don't see what the problem is. TMH's posts are always
interesting, and bring a different perspective to the table. Many of us
here have followed the progress of his handyman business right from the
beginning, and enjoy reading about it.

--
Grunff
Looking for a handyman in the Medway area?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:

So it gives a reason to continually wibble about his bloody tedious
business and to spatter his posts with references to that site.

It's widely accepted that it's ok to include pretty much whatever you
want in your sig as long as you keep it to 4 lines or less.

Why on earth do you and others keep insisting that I am referring to his
sig?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've pointed out that you get advantage from the exposure. At the very
least in the form of increased web hits for your site.

So? No one is forced to go to his website.

So it gives a reason to continually wibble about his bloody tedious
business

If what he does in the day is directly relevant to the question in hand,
then yes.

and to spatter his posts with references to that site.

He (like many others) has a tag line. I don't see frequent links or
other references to the site. Again this is considered by most standards
(appart from yours it seems) as acceptable.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've pointed out that you get advantage from the exposure. At the
very least in the form of increased web hits for your site.

So? No one is forced to go to his website.

So it gives a reason to continually wibble about his bloody tedious
business and to spatter his posts with references to that site.

Steve, you've chosen the wrong person to have a go at as he's popular here
and it's not really that sort of bitchy group you like so much. Stick to
having a go at dribble on here - that's always open season.

--
*Why is a boxing ring square?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've pointed out that you get advantage from the exposure. At the
very least in the form of increased web hits for your site.

So? No one is forced to go to his website.

So it gives a reason to continually wibble about his bloody tedious
business and to spatter his posts with references to that site.

Steve, you've chosen the wrong person to have a go at as he's popular here

Which is more or less what I said, because he's popular he's allowed to
get away with it. It's a poor basis on which to run a newsgroup and will
inevitably lead to tears.

I'll ignore your silly dig.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've pointed out that you get advantage from the exposure. At the very
least in the form of increased web hits for your site.

So? No one is forced to go to his website.

So it gives a reason to continually wibble about his bloody tedious
business and to spatter his posts with references to that site.

No, but it says that mostly we don't care if he does.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
(Steve Firth) writes:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've pointed out that you get advantage from the exposure. At the very
least in the form of increased web hits for your site.

So? No one is forced to go to his website.

So it gives a reason to continually wibble about his bloody tedious
business and to spatter his posts with references to that site.

Steve,

David's contributions to this group have been very valuable,
both in terms of his experience in DIY and contributions to the
FAQ's, and in following his change of life in turning his DIY
hobby into his business, which many of us have followed. This
latter aspect is something that we've watched probably around 5
people in the group do over the last 8 years, and it's something
that very many more of us have considered doing, and may yet do
in the future. This is why it's of particular interest to the
group and directly relevant to DIY.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

This is why it's of particular interest to the
group and directly relevant to DIY.

This is why it's of particular interest to some who read this group even
though it's not directly relevant to DIY.

HTH.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .
The Medway Handyman wrote:

As indeed are people who feel impelled to start
threads with my name in the title.

Says it all really.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Dec, 00:08, (Steve Firth) wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

I do need to sort this out.

Rearrange these words to form a phrase "A life get"

I've pointed out that you get advantage from the exposure. At the very
least in the form of increased web hits for your site.

However that's irrelevant. What is relevant is that dragging your
business into every single conversation and starting threads about your
business is tedious. As indeed are people who feel impelled to start
threads with my name in the title.

Grow up, get over it.

I crossed swords with Dave quite some time back when I first starting
regularly reading UKDIY as it seemed wrong that a professional was
asking advice from a DIY group that I took then to be amateurs - my
gripe then was what sort of professional *needed* to ask advice !

That was quite a number of years ago so I hope Dave has forgotten - I
now remember it with shame.

I don't want to add to the ever expanding size of Dave's head but like
the others here, I look forward to his posts, queries and stories.

It does rather look as if Mr Firth does have a scunner against TMH as
there are a number of other regular and valuable professional
contributors here who have their business tag lines in their posts.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 02:05:44 -0800 (PST), robgraham
wrote:

snip

I crossed swords with Dave quite some time back when I first starting
regularly reading UKDIY as it seemed wrong that a professional was
asking advice from a DIY group that I took then to be amateurs - my
gripe then was what sort of professional *needed* to ask advice !

In my experience - the best ones.
I've picked up loads of tips from ordinary punters who've done nothing
more than view a problem from a different perspective to my own ( and
many other professionals ).

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
robgraham wrote:
I crossed swords with Dave quite some time back when I first starting
regularly reading UKDIY as it seemed wrong that a professional was
asking advice from a DIY group that I took then to be amateurs - my
gripe then was what sort of professional *needed* to ask advice !

I know from my profession that I certainly don't know *everything* about
it - and neither does anyone else I work with, although some would claim
to. So I'm happy to learn from others in that - even if they may have
nominally less experience than myself.

When it comes to DIY the subject is so vast no one person can know
everything. Apart from dribble, obviously. So it's not unreasonable that a
handyman can ask for advice on things perhaps new to him - especially as
it's not a one way street with Dave who passes on his own tips too.

--
*If you can read this, thank a teecher

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

So it's not unreasonable that a
handyman can ask for advice on things perhaps new to him - especially as
it's not a one way street with Dave who passes on his own tips too.

Exactly - sharing goes both ways. The Handyman doesn't just take, he
gives back, too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , %steve%
@malloc.co.uk says...
Grow up, get over it.

Yeah, grow up and stop being sensitive about someone mentioning their
business.

--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 23:10:52 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

I do need to sort this out.

Nobody else does. Your posts are welcome, interesting and
entertaining. As they say in a popular junk TV programme (alledgedly)
Leave it, he ain't worf it.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
http://www.sandrila.co.uk/ http://www.pherber.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I do need to sort this out.

Nobody else does. Your posts are welcome, interesting and
entertaining.

Hear hear.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 23:10:52 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

snip

I do need to sort this out.

snip

Over to you ****wit.

You've really answered your own query.

Firth has *very* occasionally contributed a comment of value to a
discussion. Most of the time he's a keyboard warrior, strutting and
posturing, when in real life he'd never say 'Boo!' to a goose. Ignore him,
let him rant and rave away, unless you feel like a bit of sport with him,
but he has no sense of humour, so even that is a waste of time, TBH.

I haven't seem too many others complaining about your posts, I suspect
quite a few read them for their entertainment value - meant in the nicest
possible way, of course......

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Wanderer wrote:
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 23:10:52 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

snip

I do need to sort this out.

snip

Over to you ****wit.

You've really answered your own query.

Firth has *very* occasionally contributed a comment of value to a
discussion. Most of the time he's a keyboard warrior, strutting and
posturing, when in real life he'd never say 'Boo!' to a goose. Ignore him,
let him rant and rave away, unless you feel like a bit of sport with him,
but he has no sense of humour, so even that is a waste of time, TBH.

I haven't seem too many others complaining about your posts, I suspect
quite a few read them for their entertainment value - meant in the nicest
possible way, of course......

TMH's posts are fine by me, but starting a fight in the playground is
very boring
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 3, 11:10 pm, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

I do need to sort this out.

Take my advice, don't even waste your breath on him.

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway
Handyman writes
*
I do need to sort this out.
*

Dave, if you think he's a dick then kill-file him and ignore him, your
responding to his posts just adds fuel to the fire.

However, by creating this thread and by the positive comments your
posting has received in it you have something to show your ISP if you
receive an abuse complaint in the future. I agree that your posting is
useful and on-topic.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article , The Medway
Handyman writes

I do need to sort this out.

Dave, if you think he's a dick then kill-file him and ignore him, your
responding to his posts just adds fuel to the fire.

However, by creating this thread and by the positive comments your
posting has received in it you have something to show your ISP if you
receive an abuse complaint in the future. I agree that your posting is
useful and on-topic.

I concur entirely.

I'm (mainly) a long-time lurker here, but I've always found TMH's posts
to be interesting and relevant to the group. Please continue to be a
regular contributor and kill-file him.

Styx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

in message ...
fred wrote:
In article , The Medway
Handyman writes

I do need to sort this out.

Dave, if you think he's a dick then kill-file him and ignore him, your
responding to his posts just adds fuel to the fire.

However, by creating this thread and by the positive comments your
posting has received in it you have something to show your ISP if you
receive an abuse complaint in the future. I agree that your posting is
useful and on-topic.

I concur entirely.

I'm (mainly) a long-time lurker here, but I've always found TMH's posts
to be interesting and relevant to the group.

Indeed, whereas Firth is a pain in the arse and one of the many who make
usenet tedious.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
I'm (mainly) a long-time lurker here, but I've always found TMH's
posts to be interesting and relevant to the group.

Indeed, whereas Firth is a pain in the arse and one of the many who make
usenet tedious.

I'm not defending Mr Firth in this case but what you say simply isn't so.
Many of his posts are both informative and entertaining. Mainly on other
groups, though. ;-)

--
*Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid altogether *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
in message ...
fred wrote:
In article , The Medway
Handyman writes
I do need to sort this out.

Dave, if you think he's a dick then kill-file him and ignore him, your
responding to his posts just adds fuel to the fire.

However, by creating this thread and by the positive comments your
posting has received in it you have something to show your ISP if you
receive an abuse complaint in the future. I agree that your posting is
useful and on-topic.

I concur entirely.

I'm (mainly) a long-time lurker here, but I've always found TMH's posts
to be interesting and relevant to the group.

Indeed, whereas Firth is a pain in the arse and one of the many who make
usenet tedious.

Takes all sorts mate. We don't want moderation and we don't want lynch
mobs either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman"
wrote in message ...
First of all apologies to the group for bringing this up again.
I've changed the header and marked the post OT.

I do need to sort this out.

snip

So far this thread sounds like a landslide vote for TMH,
with which I fully concur. Keep up the posts Dave!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DavidM wrote:
"The Medway Handyman"
wrote in message
... First of all
apologies to the group for bringing this up again.
I've changed the header and marked the post OT.

I do need to sort this out.

snip

So far this thread sounds like a landslide vote for TMH,
with which I fully concur. Keep up the posts Dave!

Whole hearted agreement.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 23:10:52 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

Quite a lot of us here are pro, semi-pro or have turned pro.
We do get some benefit from posting here.
Most of us probably find that we don't really need to generate more work.

Personally I'd rather get the benefit of reading a thread with posts from
a pro who, after all is faced with many of the same problems as a diyer!
even if there is some commercial signature lines.

OTOH we have some posts from some non-pros that are very commercial
whilst they have nothing to contribute or (and we know who we are talking
about) are constantly peddling certain "one size fits all" solutions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

"... **** or bust."

"Over to you ****wit. "

Both comments unnecessary - you've reduced yourself to your opponent's
level.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...

"... **** or bust."

"Over to you ****wit. "

Both comments unnecessary - you've reduced yourself to your opponent's
level.

Sadly, I agree. His input is most welcome and constructive. The conduct
of contributors to this newsgroup is usually exemplary. I really cannot
see why SF has taken such exception.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
First of all apologies to the group for bringing this up again. I've
changed the header and marked the post OT.

I do need to sort this out.

Steve. You have openly accused me of;
stealth spamming
dragging my tedious business into this newsgroup when it is, was and
remains off-topic
spurious excuses I find to mention my business.
every few minutes that I start threads about my van with links to my
website,
moan about another handyman with links to my website.
Post photos of jobs done by other people with links to my website.
Start to bleat about something with links to my website. Generally
mentioning that I happen to be a handyman again and
again and again.
a policy of unsolicited commercial advertising to a DIY newsgroup
stealth advertising
[...]

You fail to see that Firth is barking mad.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
First of all apologies to the group for bringing this up again. I've
changed the header and marked the post OT.

Something else you can't do properly.
[snip]

You fail to see that Firth is barking mad.

Takes one to know one.

--
*Am I ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
First of all apologies to the group for bringing this up again. I've
changed the header and marked the post OT.

Something else you can't do properly.
[snip]

You fail to see that Firth is barking mad.

Takes one to know one.

and you know him well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 14:02:31 -0000, Doctor Drivel wrote:

snip

You fail to see that Firth is barking mad.

Oh the irony......

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 14:02:31 +0000, Doctor Drivel wrote:

You fail to see that Firth is barking mad.

He is not mad but he does seem to have quite a bit of difficulty over
knowing what is and isn't spam.

Posts that who offer me free almost anything, porn or wish to make me
change allegiance to another deity == Spam.

Posts from newbies offering tools, materials or web sites to visit
even if purporting to be from a "diyer". == Spam

Posts from people who earn some or all of their living doing household
maintenance/development, sharing experience and knowledge,
also containing a link to their web site. == Not Spam.

Buy to lets Phil Gardner UK diy 457 December 4th 07 01:28 AM
Lets all buy from Sears ANovice Home Repair 53 November 21st 07 02:19 AM
Lets Black Out the USA fred@_______.com Home Repair 71 August 3rd 06 01:43 PM
Steve Firth RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 25th 06 11:40 AM
Lets talk joints garyhuff Woodworking 3 December 3rd 04 04:37 AM