Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is my room to small for a shower ?

Hi,

I have a room / cupboard which measures 1370mm x 1440mm (don't
laugh). I was wondering whether it would do as an en suite shower ?
I can get a shower cubical that will easily fit at around 762 mm but I
also wanted to fit a loo and a washbasin. I think everthing will go
but it is obviously cramped and I just can't visualise what it would
be like when finished. Are there minimum "standard" sizes for a
shower room / toilet, or has anyone else seen one this small and say
whether it is wokable or not ?

Many thanks,

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a room / cupboard which measures 1370mm x 1440mm (don't
laugh). I was wondering whether it would do as an en suite shower ?
I can get a shower cubical that will easily fit at around 762 mm but I
also wanted to fit a loo and a washbasin. I think everthing will go
but it is obviously cramped and I just can't visualise what it would
be like when finished. Are there minimum "standard" sizes for a
shower room / toilet, or has anyone else seen one this small and say
whether it is wokable or not ?

Well there are devices exactly as you suggest all-in-one for caravans......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2007 06:27, RW wrote:

Well there are devices exactly as you suggest all-in-one for caravans......

But using that stinking blue formaldehyde liquid might not go down well
in a en-suite.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:

I have a room / cupboard which measures 1370mm x 1440mm (don't
laugh). I was wondering whether it would do as an en suite shower ?
I can get a shower cubical that will easily fit at around 762 mm but I
also wanted to fit a loo and a washbasin. I think everthing will go
but it is obviously cramped and I just can't visualise what it would
be like when finished. Are there minimum "standard" sizes for a
shower room / toilet, or has anyone else seen one this small and say
whether it is wokable or not ?

Sounds very tight to get a toilet in there too.

I remember someone posting a photo here a couple of years ago where
there was so little room the shower was almost above the toilet and you
almost has to sit on the pot to take shower...

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
On 03/12/2007 06:27, RW wrote:

Well there are devices exactly as you suggest all-in-one for
caravans......

But using that stinking blue formaldehyde liquid might not go down well in
a en-suite.

A bit OT - but formaldehyde isn't the only thing you can use in a caravan
toilet. There is something called BioMagic which is excellent, and sorts
out waste through enzymatic action. Tried it this summer for the first
time - absolutely brilliant, and no need for any of that ghastly toxic blue
stuff!

Keith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 15:17:37 -0800, Mike wrote:

Hi,

I have a room / cupboard which measures 1370mm x 1440mm (don't
laugh). I was wondering whether it would do as an en suite shower ?
I can get a shower cubical that will easily fit at around 762 mm but I
also wanted to fit a loo and a washbasin. I think everthing will go
but it is obviously cramped and I just can't visualise what it would
be like when finished. Are there minimum "standard" sizes for a
shower room / toilet, or has anyone else seen one this small and say
whether it is wokable or not ?

You could do it as a wet room (google....).

It will of course require building regs notification so you might want to
talk to your BCO about it early on to sound them out about their
requirements.

--
John Stumbles

Who's *really* behind all these conspiracy theories?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 08:56:51 GMT, Lobster wrote:

Mike wrote:

[8 quoted lines suppressed]

Sounds very tight to get a toilet in there too.

I remember someone posting a photo here a couple of years ago where
there was so little room the shower was almost above the toilet and you
almost has to sit on the pot to take shower...

I don't remember that one, but I did save one where they just put the
shower in the kitchen

http://www.puppet-head.co.uk/shower.jpg

(I'm guessing it was some odd bedsit)

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My bathroom is 'bolted on' to the end of my offshot
kitchen. It's 1000mm x 2800mm and just fits a
shower cubical, toilet and basin nice and snugly.

--
JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Total amateur here, but we have a downstairs toilet where one side has
an elbow high low wall (don't ask why) 290mm from the cistern centre.
It feels too tight when you sit on it, even though at shoulder/eye
level the wall is a more normal 450mm from cistern centre (and even
though the left side is also 450mm from centre along it's whole
height).

So say 600mm is the total width needed for an uncomfortably cramped
toilet (personally 900mm feels about right as an ideal minimum
width). If you need the shower and the toilet on the same wall, then
you'll have 678mm, so it's doable.

One idea to help you visualise whether you can live with it is to get
some cardboard and put it either side of your existing toilet.

Don't forget the corner toilet/sink, although they always seem to take
up more room than you think they're going to. Actually the corner
toilet opposite the shower might work well for you as it frees up more
wall space for the sink (or moves the pan a little away from the
entrance, depending on how you're planning it).
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/1065-13290
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 15:17:37 -0800, Mike wrote:
I have a room / cupboard which measures 1370mm x 1440mm (don't
laugh). I was wondering whether it would do as an en suite shower ?

It will of course require building regs notification so you might want to
talk to your BCO about it early on to sound them out about their
requirements.

Why does it need building regs involved?

My daughter would like a shower in her bedroom, I've tentatively planned
it to be in a outside wall corner - would that need building
notification?

And what are the penalties for not notifying such a 'home improvement'?

I dont intend moving from here, so a future house sale is not planned
until I die!
Ta
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Dec, 17:42, "
wrote:
[...]

Also, you could have a back to wall toilet and a cistern tucked away
near the ceiling, even in the loft etc., to give you more space.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 20:59:07 +0000, a particular chimpanzee,
(A.Lee) randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote:

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 17:58:20 +0000, a particular chimpanzee,
(A.Lee) randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Why does it need building regs involved?

Because it's an alteration to a 'controlled service or fitting', ie,
drainage.

(not ranting, just curious)

(Not judging, just replying)

So moving a kitchen sink from one wall to another is the same thing, if
I have to add another hole in the wall for a new waste pipe?

Strictly speaking, yes. However, most LAs have better things to do
than process _very_ minor alterations, so may not accept (much less
seek) such an application. The informal policy in most places I've
worked is only to get bothered about any alterations to below-ground
drainage.

I presume there is a fee involved in getting approval for such
improvements?

Yes. Unless it's an adaptation for a disabled person.

And what are the penalties for not notifying such a 'home improvement'?

Apart from the ones of it being an offence, liable to a fine?

What offence is it though?
If taken by the Council, it will be a Civil Offence.

The Building Regulations are made under the powers in the Building Act
1984. Any breach can be prosecuted as a criminal offence.

And how will the
council ever get involved anyway?

Nosy /spiteful neighbours. Any obvious work in a conspicuous place
(front dormer, side extension, etc) may attract the attention of a
passing BCO. When the house is being sold, a surveyor may note some
recent work, or, if the seller is honest, he may disclose it.

If I wanted to sell, I have no receipts at all from work done in this
house, I have either done everything myself, or had a friend do it (e.g.
gas connections etc).
A survey would just put down 'No documentation'. I'd just say it was
done years ago, and the paperwork has been lost.

Solicitors are now under a duty to ensure that any work carried out
_has_ all the required approvals. They can't rely on the seller's
say-so, so absence of documentation would cause problems. I have had
sellers on the phone to me panicking for retrospective approvals on
the day before they are meant to complete a sale otherwise it will
fall through.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"

problem with small living room normalroom Home Repair 1 April 4th 07 09:10 PM
make a small room look Big Banker Pete Home Repair 5 April 26th 06 04:28 PM
Small shower room ScoobyDoo UK diy 1 December 31st 05 04:04 PM
Dining room too small? Chris Home Ownership 0 July 27th 05 12:47 AM
Small ensuite shower room - mosaic tiles pros & cons SC UK diy 6 August 21st 03 11:45 AM