Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Glueing Teak?

I'm repairing a solid teak dining chair and was planning to use
regular PVA wood glue to fix a split stave (child stood on it grrr..).

As it is clearly a very 'oily' wood I'm wondering if PVA is actually
the best solution? Anyone any ideas?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Removing the oil with acetone is recommended immediately before gluing
and then an epoxy glue

Excellent advice.

So would araldite be OK ??

West System is widely used in the marine industry and one of the best
epoxy products about:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-W...Kit-364830.htm

The initial mix will be a much lower viscosity than araldite, so it
can be "painted" onto the bonding surfaces then all the excess glue
effectively squeezed out - giving the strongest possible and least
visible glue joint.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A light sanding is supposed to be more effective than an acetone wipe,
according to some bloke in FWW who did a test a year or two ago. Epoxy
gave the best results in his tests, but there wasn't that much wrong
with either PVA or PU, IIRC.

Sanding may be good for surface contaminants, but I'm not sure it
would improve glue bonding to a naturally oily wood like teak.

I agree about polyurethane glues, but (as Andy already said) it's
absolutely essential to very firmly clamp the surfaces together as it
goes off.

PVA - it's convenient, easy to use, easy to clear up - but nowhere
near the equal of polyurethanes or epoxies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 12:44:54 +0000, Bolted
wrote:

A light sanding is supposed to be more effective than an acetone wipe,
according to some bloke in FWW who did a test a year or two ago.

F W Woolworth?

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:

F W Woolworth?

Sorry, Fine WoodWorking, a US woodie mag.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-02 14:41:25 +0000, Frank Erskine

wrote:

A light sanding is supposed to be more effective than an acetone wipe,
according to some bloke in FWW who did a test a year or two ago.

F W Woolworth?

Oh no.... Fine Woodworking. A very good publication even though it
does originate from Septica.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 11:40:45 +0000, wrote:

I'm repairing a solid teak dining chair and was planning to use
regular PVA wood glue to fix a split stave (child stood on it grrr..).

PVA will "work", but not to the strength you're likely to need in a
chair (do you need it to be capable of kid's step-ladder duty
afterwards?)

De-oiling teak is snake oil. It makes a big difference for hide glue,
but the joint is still weak. It makes little difference to PVA. The real
improvement comes from simply using a glue such as epoxy or PU that
doesn't care whether it's oily or not.

PU is over-rated crap and has no place in furniture making. You're
forever fighting against it: it's either foaming everywhere you don't
want, or it's turning out to be uselessly weak because there was the
slightest gap in it. The problem of overspill alone is enough to rule
out PU on furniture.

Your best option is epoxy (this is true for a lot of structural
woodworking). Don't use Araldite as it's too viscous (and too
expensive!). Instead treat yourself to a West System sampler pack
(about 15 quid from Axminster). This is a _real_ epoxy, of good quality.
It's a low viscosity resin to begin with, and it's unthickened. This
makes it far more useful overall than two-tube mixes like Araldite
(standard or rapid). Every uk.d-i-y reader ought to have one of these
kits - I use about one a year. The various filler powders are worth
trying out too, but not for this job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
[...]

Hi Andy

Interested in your opinion. I have used PU several times to sovle a
embuggerance problem & its saved my arris. Granted it foams all over the
place, but when dry that scrapes off pretty well.

I like it a lot, so could you elaborate on your experiences please?

SNIP
Instead treat yourself to a West System sampler pack
(about 15 quid from Axminster).

I'll take your advice & get one next time I pop into Axminster
Sittingbourne.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 22:20:37 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Interested in your opinion. I have used PU several times to sovle a
embuggerance problem & its saved my arris. Granted it foams all over the
place, but when dry that scrapes off pretty well.

I like it a lot, so could you elaborate on your experiences please?

First of all, you're right about the scraping. Dry scraping after curing
works a lot better than any atempt at wet cleanup. Even then though,
you're not going to do this cleanly on something that already has a
finish on it (i.e. furniture repairs). With the foaming behaviour of PU,
even using a low-foam glue and working it to reduce foaming, you _will_
get some overspill.

For carpentry, rather than joinery or cabinetry, I've also been
disappointed with it. The main problem is short service life - give it a
year or two and things are wobbling. Whether this is stress cycling or
UV failure I'm never sure, but I've just lost faith in trusting it
long-term. Gap-filling performance is useless, to a level that would
require excess care when cutting mortices. If there's any sort of gap
involved, the joint is too weak to survive. I can fill gaps with
Titebond (and that's no gap filler) that just don't work with PU.

Instead treat yourself to a West System sampler pack
(about 15 quid from Axminster).

The fillers are worth having too. I use a lot of mine mixed with either
microballoons (if I want to sand / scrape it) or fibres.

ECO-TEAK: A Big Fat Lie about teak outdoor furniture Akhter Home Ownership 0 December 20th 06 07:29 AM
ECO-TEAK: A Big Fat Lie about teak outdoor furniture. Akhter Woodworking 0 December 18th 06 08:39 AM
Glueing dishwasher Endulini UK diy 2 January 29th 06 05:48 PM
Panel glueing foggytown Woodworking 4 April 9th 05 03:18 AM
Glueing ply to ply ??????? [email protected] Woodworking 7 October 31st 04 04:03 PM