Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shower disassembly

Our seven year old built-in shower has been dripping recently. Google
suggested it needs new seals or a cartridge so I started to strip it down.
Removed the temperature knob, circlips and the flow control handle but I'm
now at a point where I can't see anything obvious to undo next.

http://www.aucf13.dsl.pipex.com/100_0127.jpg

Any ideas?

TIA.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grant" wrote in message
Our seven year old built-in shower has been dripping recently. Google
suggested it needs new seals or a cartridge so I started to strip it down.
Removed the temperature knob, circlips and the flow control handle but I'm
now at a point where I can't see anything obvious to undo next.

http://www.aucf13.dsl.pipex.com/100_0127.jpg

Any ideas?

TIA.

Worth looking on the http://www.showerdoc.co.uk/shower-spares/index.html
site for diagrams.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grant wrote:

Our seven year old built-in shower has been dripping recently. Google
suggested it needs new seals or a cartridge so I started to strip it down.
Removed the temperature knob, circlips and the flow control handle but I'm
now at a point where I can't see anything obvious to undo next.
http://www.aucf13.dsl.pipex.com/100_0127.jpg
Any ideas?

I did one on Saturday.
The link to 'showerdoc' is in the other reply to you, if you can find
the exact maker/model, then the exploded diagram may help.
It looks like yours is knackered. The one I took apart on Sat. looked
very similar, I got 2 circlips out, then had to force out the body, it
wouldnt budge, probably because of the accumulated corrosion and
limescale making the fitting too tight to get out of the body.
I thought it may need unscrewing, so put the hot/cold screw tap back on,
then promptly broke the brass knob, so in the bin it went. I'm not too
sure it could be cleaned up anyway, as it was corroded so much, with a
lot of limescale build up on the exposed internal parts. The plumbers
merchant seemed to think new parts are very hard to come by for older
showers - he said (rightly IMO) that it was far easier to buy a new
shower mixer and fit that, especially for a fitter, rather than DIY
repairs.

For a new one I had to go to the local plumbers, and got one for £90
(ouch!), but on viewing ebay later, there are quite a few available at
less than £50 if you can wait a few days for delivery. Screwfix also do
3 or 4 at less than £60.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
Grant wrote:

Our seven year old built-in shower has been dripping recently. Google
suggested it needs new seals or a cartridge so I started to strip it
down. Removed the temperature knob, circlips and the flow control
handle but I'm now at a point where I can't see anything obvious to
undo next. http://www.aucf13.dsl.pipex.com/100_0127.jpg
Any ideas?

I did one on Saturday.
The link to 'showerdoc' is in the other reply to you, if you can find
the exact maker/model, then the exploded diagram may help.
It looks like yours is knackered.

George at Showedoc has been extremely helpful to me on his forum - looks
like the builder has tiled in place a cowl that needs to be removed to
access the cartridge :-(

Bar shower disassembly Arthur2 UK diy 1 July 18th 07 05:08 PM
Laptop Disassembly? MikeyMuchos Electronics Repair 0 March 29th 07 01:39 PM
hitachi vt-8e disassembly? b Electronics Repair 0 February 15th 06 01:20 PM
Disassembly of Viewsonic VP201s [email protected] Electronics Repair 8 January 29th 06 05:11 AM
Vivitar 285 Disassembly Instructions Yusuf Motiwala Electronics Repair 0 May 17th 04 07:04 PM