Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wallpapering Q

Wallpapering - easy peazy, done that loads of times.

However, this time the underlying walls are a bit of mess. Most (but no
all) of the paint on the plaster came off with the previous paper, and
the plaster type varies too, mostly pink carlite, a few patches of dark
grey thistle and some white one coat stuff. Previous paper was painted
blown vinyl, so no issues with underlying background showing trough.
Going up this time is a very light coloured printed paper - what's the
chance of the patchy background showing through if I don't give it a
coat of paint?

(Its not the time to paint that's the problem, its that paint over glue
residue is a hideous mess and I like to give the walls a good clean
first if painting, but that is hard work!)

--
steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 22:04:27 +0000, Steven Briggs
wrote:

Wallpapering - easy peazy, done that loads of times.

However, this time the underlying walls are a bit of mess. Most (but no
all) of the paint on the plaster came off with the previous paper, and
the plaster type varies too, mostly pink carlite, a few patches of dark
grey thistle and some white one coat stuff. Previous paper was painted
blown vinyl, so no issues with underlying background showing trough.
Going up this time is a very light coloured printed paper - what's the
chance of the patchy background showing through if I don't give it a
coat of paint?

(Its not the time to paint that's the problem, its that paint over glue
residue is a hideous mess and I like to give the walls a good clean
first if painting, but that is hard work!)

What about lining paper?

Don't know if sugar soap would be any use? But trying a bit wouldn't
hurt.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Heavy duty lining paper. Definitely. Also if you were painting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , newshound
writes
Heavy duty lining paper. Definitely. Also if you were painting.

Thanks, never thought of lining paper. Double the work of course!
--
steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 10:51:00 +0000, Steven Briggs
wrote:

In message , newshound
writes
Heavy duty lining paper. Definitely. Also if you were painting.

Thanks, never thought of lining paper. Double the work of course!

But consider the effort of scraping the walls clean!
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 23:14:39 -0000, "newshound"
wrote:

Heavy duty lining paper. Definitely. Also if you were painting.

And this place has a good range of lining papers
http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/m/MAVLP/

--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steven Briggs" wrote in message
Wallpapering - easy peazy, done that loads of times.

However, this time the underlying walls are a bit of mess. Most (but no
all) of the paint on the plaster came off with the previous paper, and the
plaster type varies too, mostly pink carlite, a few patches of dark grey
thistle and some white one coat stuff. Previous paper was painted blown
vinyl, so no issues with underlying background showing trough. Going up
this time is a very light coloured printed paper - what's the chance of
the patchy background showing through if I don't give it a coat of paint?

(Its not the time to paint that's the problem, its that paint over glue
residue is a hideous mess and I like to give the walls a good clean first
if painting, but that is hard work!)

--
steve

If it were me, depending on the size of the room, i would get a plasterer in
to skim it. The house we bought had such bad plaster (only the surface
though from some fool removing the old wall paper with what looks to be a
shovel!!) we have just had each room skimmed as required. I had my front
bedroom done a few weeks back, ceiling included, for £250. now i can just
paint it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , mogga
writes
On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 10:51:00 +0000, Steven Briggs
wrote:

In message , newshound
writes
Heavy duty lining paper. Definitely. Also if you were painting.

Thanks, never thought of lining paper. Double the work of course!

But consider the effort of scraping the walls clean!

Indeed. BTDTGTS. Also very messy job, and while the carpet is up, the
underlay in still in place (lots of staples).
Anyway, put up heavy lining paper this afternoon, although attempts to
convince the powers that be that the plain beige finish was very
relaxing, didn't work ;-)
--
steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steven Briggs wrote:
In message , mogga
writes
On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 10:51:00 +0000, Steven Briggs
wrote:

In message , newshound
writes
Heavy duty lining paper. Definitely. Also if you were painting.

Thanks, never thought of lining paper. Double the work of course!

But consider the effort of scraping the walls clean!

Indeed. BTDTGTS. Also very messy job, and while the carpet is up, the
underlay in still in place (lots of staples).
Anyway, put up heavy lining paper this afternoon, although attempts to
convince the powers that be that the plain beige finish was very
relaxing, didn't work ;-)

Women usually like that colour. I can think of 2 or 3 that even tried to
match the colour using posh paper.

Wallpapering on paper Mike P UK diy 2 August 1st 07 11:17 AM
Wallpapering over new plasterboard. Kenny UK diy 3 November 23rd 06 02:58 PM
Wallpapering into a Bay window? Steven Campbell UK diy 9 November 4th 06 08:09 AM
Wallpapering Fuoleum UK diy 0 July 12th 06 11:56 PM