Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Multi Montes & N m.

Just bought some 10 x 100 Multi Montes and the enclosed (German) leaflet
gives some performance data.

Table give 'maximum admissible loads'. I guess that should read
'permissible loads'?

Anywho, figures for tension load is 3.7 to 4.9 N m, shear load 7.9 N m and
bending load 18.7 N m.

I always thought N m was a measure of torque so I can't get my head around
these figures. Another table gives (pictorially) the torque required to
screw them in as 40 N m, which I understand - impact driver or high torque
drill.

Could anyone wiser than me put these figures into terms my little brain
could relate to?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anywho, figures for tension load is 3.7 to 4.9 N m, shear load 7.9 N m and
bending load 18.7 N m.

Looking at the leaflet in my pack of 10*140 multi-monti, tension load
is 3.7-4.9 KILONEWTON and shear load 7.9-7.9 KILONEWTON (i.e. the
metal of each multi-monti can take several tonnes tension or shear -
assuming it's sufficiently securely locked into something. In practice
I think the bearing material is likely to give out long before the
multi-monti)

BENDING LOAD is 18.7 Nm i.e. if you had a metre of multi-monti
sticking out of the wall, you could hang 18.7 Newtons on the end. Or
187 Newtons on 10cm protruding. Or 1870 Newtons on 1 cm. (assuming
bearing material can take it etc)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just reread my post - of course 1Kg = 9.81N, so should read "several
hundred Kg", not "several tonnes".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I put a socket on an impact driver - delivers a pretty similar torque
to yours. Effortless in brickwork. Can struggle in concrete. You may
have to back off and charge again etc.

I pre-drill at their recommended size (8mm from memory?) - but if I
was driving a lot of them into concrete, I'd get hold of something
heftier than a cordless impact driver.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The cunning plan is to use 10 x 100 multi montis to replace 12mm shield
anchors ...

That is part of the joy of multi-monti's - it's a through fixing - get
the whatever fixed with the first fixing, then you can drill through
to add as many more as you want. That, and the fact that you can
easily take them out again.

Multi Monti The Medway Handyman UK diy 18 July 16th 07 06:44 PM
Multi Millions lending-guru Home Ownership 1 June 19th 06 09:39 PM
Multi Saw leveled UK diy 8 February 26th 06 12:52 PM
Multi-router plans ole Woodworking 5 February 22nd 05 09:29 PM
Multi Region DVD Alistair Electronics Repair 1 December 4th 03 10:45 PM