Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bring back bats

We used to have bats in the attic of our early Victorian house,
but they disappeared when the roof was felted about 15 years ago.

Is there any way of starting a new colony of bats,
or of encouraging those around (there are very few)
to roost in our attic?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Nov, 13:19, Timothy Murphy wrote:
We used to have bats in the attic of our early Victorian house,
but they disappeared when the roof was felted about 15 years ago.

Is there any way of starting a new colony of bats,
or of encouraging those around (there are very few)
to roost in our attic?

I recently found 2 badminton bats and 1 tennis bat in my attic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 13:19:51 +0000, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

We used to have bats in the attic of our early Victorian house,
but they disappeared when the roof was felted about 15 years ago.

Did the felt stop them getting in (or out?)

Is there any way of starting a new colony of bats,
or of encouraging those around (there are very few)
to roost in our attic?

You could contact the bat group
http://www.bats.org.uk/batgroups/batgroups_list.asp
Bound to be loads of info on there

--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
We used to have bats in the attic of our early Victorian house,
but they disappeared when the roof was felted about 15 years ago.

Is there any way of starting a new colony of bats,
or of encouraging those around (there are very few)
to roost in our attic?

Contact Bill Oddie?
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

We used to have bats in the attic of our early Victorian house,
but they disappeared when the roof was felted about 15 years ago.

Is there any way of starting a new colony of bats,
or of encouraging those around (there are very few)
to roost in our attic?

Not as far as I know.
Bats seem to be particularly picky when it comes to roosts - and that
doesn't mean they'll always colonize even the most sumptuous quarters.

The best way appears to be to ensure that they have a decent supply of
food in the way of insects - and that's work that can be done in the
garden. Plenty of moths is what's required, and plants like
Honeysuckle will pull in hundreds of 'in flight' meals every evening
in the summer.

Might be worth getting in touch with your local 'Bat Warden' ( bound
to be one, or something like it ) for specific advice to your area.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 21 Nov, 13:19, Timothy Murphy wrote:
We used to have bats in the attic of our early Victorian house,
but they disappeared when the roof was felted about 15 years ago.

Is there any way of starting a new colony of bats,
or of encouraging those around (there are very few)
to roost in our attic?

I recently found 2 badminton bats and 1 tennis bat in my attic.

I'll raise you by two hockey sticks.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
We used to have bats in the attic of our early Victorian house,
but they disappeared when the roof was felted about 15 years ago.

Is there any way of starting a new colony of bats,
or of encouraging those around (there are very few)
to roost in our attic?

Contact Bill Oddie?

God, you don't want him in your attic!
You'll never get rid of him and you're not allowed to exterminate him any
more.
WM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"wattie" wrote in
:

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in

message
We used to have bats in the attic of our early Victorian

house,
but they disappeared when the roof was felted about 15

years ago.

Is there any way of starting a new colony of bats,
or of encouraging those around (there are very few)
to roost in our attic?

Contact Bill Oddie?

God, you don't want him in your attic!
You'll never get rid of him and you're not allowed to

exterminate him
any more.
WM

Yerbut there is always the chance he would bring Kate Humble,
http://cool-geek.co.uk/kate.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Are you really sure you want them? Could be a real turnoff if you try to
sell. Rabies is spreading through the bat population, and has already
infected one, or maybe two, bat wardens in Scotland. I wouldn't buy a
house if I knew there were some. There are now new rules so once there
if you want to move them, you have to build them something similar in
size and style to what you are ejecting them from. I heard a sorry tale
on radio 4 of someone who had to build a large barn-type structure
costing many thousands with no guarantee that they roost there.

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 21 Nov, 13:19, Timothy Murphy wrote:
We used to have bats in the attic of our early Victorian house,
but they disappeared when the roof was felted about 15 years ago.

Is there any way of starting a new colony of bats,
or of encouraging those around (there are very few)
to roost in our attic?

I recently found 2 badminton bats and 1 tennis bat in my attic.

I bet they make a racket at night

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mogga wrote:

We used to have bats in the attic of our early Victorian house,
but they disappeared when the roof was felted about 15 years ago.

Did the felt stop them getting in (or out?)

I don't think so.
But the loft was cleaned out and flooboards put down -
I guess there would have been plenty of insects for the bats before this.