Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how to bring tension back to garage door?

I am installing a garage door opener but when i finished installing
the motor the door got stuck and would not go past 3/4 of the way.
When I tried closing it it would not move, so then I looked at the
door itself and figured out it was not even on both sides. The door
would make a noise when opened manually before, as if there was a
slight movement in the pulley or the mounting bracket on the right
side. Then I realized that the mounting brackets were not all even and
unscrewed them and straighten them. This helped with the noise but now
the door was not closing properly --it was about 1 inch higher on one
side-- so I decided to release some tension by unscrewing the pullyes
and releasing some cable on the side that was higher and it helped.
But I made the mistake of trying to "balance" the garage door. The
tension is completely off the pulleys now and have a few 2x4 studs at
the bottom to hold the door from completing shutting. I want to know
if I should have the door opened heigher or if these 2 inches would
bring the necessary tension to open the door smoothly again. Now is
very heavy and would not open at all with one person pushing... I
appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

First, it would appear that you should consider hiring a pro. Working
with garage doors can be dangerous. From your questions it would appear you
don't have a good enough working knowledge of garage doors to do the job
safely.

In any case the first step is to get the door working properly with out
the opener attached in any way. Then attach and adjust the opener according
to the installation instructions. It would appear, but it is not clear,
that you are trying to correct the action of the door with the opener
attached to it.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 17, 5:46 am, "Joseph Meehan"
[...]

Dia 's Muire duit- Hide quoted text -

My first advice is to agree with Joseph and suggest you get a pro,
because this can be dangerous if you
don't know what you're doing and you are going about it all wrong.
If you followed the install instructions
for the door, one of the first steps is to verify that the door moves
freely and is close to balanced through
it's movement range, BEFORE you install the opener.

You adjust the tension on the extension springs when the door is all
the way up, not when it nearly closed.
You get the door all the way up and then use a couple of channel locks
or similar on the tracks to prevent it from
coming back down. With it all the way up, you then fasten the cables
so that there is some tension on the springs, starting with enough to
keep the springs and cables snug. Then, the door has to be slowly
lowered and
see how it works. Then adjust again as needed. Depending on the
door, this job may require 2 people for safety.

Before you do anything, make sure the springs have safety cables
running through them. If you don't know what they are, again, I would
call a pro. If the door slips or one of the springs lets go under
tension, it can kill you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 17, 8:35�am, wrote:
[...]

tension, it can kill you.- Hide quoted text -

did the door work OK before the opener install? whens the last me the
track rollers etc were lubed? DONT LUBE NOW, if you may call in a pro.
makes a mess

if you dont have safety cables that run thru middle of springs do that
first! Although if its a old door you may need new springs, espically
if the coils areent all equal looking

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17 Mar 2007 01:17:07 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Search the internet using google for "garage door" instructions

You will find installation intructions for a door just like yours
with detailed instructions on exactly how to hang your door.