Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] driss34@hotmail.com is offline

Default how to bring tension back to garage door?

I am installing a garage door opener but when i finished installing
the motor the door got stuck and would not go past 3/4 of the way.
When I tried closing it it would not move, so then I looked at the
door itself and figured out it was not even on both sides. The door
would make a noise when opened manually before, as if there was a
slight movement in the pulley or the mounting bracket on the right
side. Then I realized that the mounting brackets were not all even and
unscrewed them and straighten them. This helped with the noise but now
the door was not closing properly --it was about 1 inch higher on one
side-- so I decided to release some tension by unscrewing the pullyes
and releasing some cable on the side that was higher and it helped.
But I made the mistake of trying to "balance" the garage door. The
tension is completely off the pulleys now and have a few 2x4 studs at
the bottom to hold the door from completing shutting. I want to know
if I should have the door opened heigher or if these 2 inches would
bring the necessary tension to open the door smoothly again. Now is
very heavy and would not open at all with one person pushing... I
appreciate your comments. Thanks.