Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gap between new laminate floor and skirting

So, I've laid the engineered wood floor in the new extension.
Yesterday I fitted the skirting boards and here's the thing. There's
a variable gap between the floor and the bottom of the skirting boards
in places, where clearly the floor is slightly uneven. The floor was
laid onto a thin layer of insulating foam on top of screed. It
doesn't bother me so much a SWMBO, who now suggests that I fix a
quadrant beading or similar to disguise the gap. My inclination is to
leave well alone, but if forced I would prefer to fill the gap with
gun filler.

Anyone come across this problem before, and have a different solution?

Thanks

Edward
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 21, 10:29 am, wrote:
So, I've laid the engineered wood floor in the new extension.
Yesterday I fitted the skirting boards and here's the thing. There's
a variable gap between the floor and the bottom of the skirting boards
in places, where clearly the floor is slightly uneven. The floor was
laid onto a thin layer of insulating foam on top of screed. It
doesn't bother me so much a SWMBO, who now suggests that I fix a
quadrant beading or similar to disguise the gap. My inclination is to
leave well alone, but if forced I would prefer to fill the gap with
gun filler.

Anyone come across this problem before, and have a different solution?

Thanks

Edward

The most elegant solution would be to scribe the bottom of the
skirting boards but it is time consuming and can look a mess if you
are not very careful.

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stevelup" wrote in message
On Nov 21, 10:29 am, wrote:
So, I've laid the engineered wood floor in the new extension.
Yesterday I fitted the skirting boards and here's the thing. There's
a variable gap between the floor and the bottom of the skirting boards
in places, where clearly the floor is slightly uneven. The floor was
laid onto a thin layer of insulating foam on top of screed. It
doesn't bother me so much a SWMBO, who now suggests that I fix a
quadrant beading or similar to disguise the gap. My inclination is to
leave well alone, but if forced I would prefer to fill the gap with
gun filler.

Anyone come across this problem before, and have a different solution?

Thanks

We didn't have that problem but most people use the quadrant beading and in
my opinion it looks awful - as well as taking up floor space.

Filling the gap would be my choice - if it's done very well and matched to
the skirting.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stevelup wrote:
On Nov 21, 10:29 am, wrote:
[...]

i.e. not very elegant at all.
Women hate gaps. Something deep in their psyche tells them that things
might crawl out of gaps.
I'd gun fill it with an acrylic rather than silicone. Easy to cut flush
with a blade, and washes off with water if you make a mess. Getting a
colour match for the floor might be the difficult bit. The standard
"brown" is distinctly tan IIRC.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Nov, 10:29, wrote:
So, I've laid the engineered wood floor in the new extension.
Yesterday I fitted the skirting boards and here's the thing. There's
a variable gap between the floor and the bottom of the skirting boards
in places, where clearly the floor is slightly uneven. The floor was
laid onto a thin layer of insulating foam on top of screed. It
doesn't bother me so much a SWMBO, who now suggests that I fix a
quadrant beading or similar to disguise the gap. My inclination is to
leave well alone, but if forced I would prefer to fill the gap with
gun filler.

Anyone come across this problem before, and have a different solution?

Thanks

Edward

I had the same problem with one of my floors but I detected the
problem before I began laying the laminate.
I solved it by 'filling in' the dip with pieces of vinyl flooring.
When it was
done I had used 4/5 pieces of the 2mm thick vinyl.
I used a spirit level to 'measure' the depth of the fall and used
increasing sizes of the vinyl to get it almost there.
I didn't try to get it perfect so when I was ready to fix the skirting
I saw when there were any gaps ..that to me looked 'visible', then I
just lifted the boards at that spot and slid in another scrap of
vinyl.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"stevelup" wrote in message
On Nov 21, 10:29 am, wrote:
[...]

No, matched to the floor....:-) The bottom edge of the skirting should
appear straight
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Nov, 12:55, Stuart Noble
wrote:
stevelup wrote:
On Nov 21, 10:29 am, wrote:
[...]

I can't do that anyway. The skirting is fixed and I'm not taking it
off!

Women hate gaps. Something deep in their psyche tells them that things
might crawl out of gaps.
I'd gun fill it with an acrylic rather than silicone. Easy to cut flush
with a blade, and washes off with water if you make a mess.

Absolutely. And it can be painted.

Getting a
colour match for the floor might be the difficult bit. The standard
"brown" is distinctly tan IIRC

I was planning to paint it to match the skirtings. Any reason why I
should try to match the floor?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 21 Nov, 12:55, Stuart Noble
wrote:
stevelup wrote:
On Nov 21, 10:29 am, wrote:
[...]

Only that the skirting is already straight, and it's the floor that
needs to be made straight.
If the gaps are small it probably won't matter either way. I just have a
thing about straightness :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Nov, 14:33, mogga wrote:
On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 02:29:29 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

So, I've laid the engineered wood floor in the new extension.
Yesterday I fitted the skirting boards and here's the thing. There's
a variable gap between the floor and the bottom of the skirting boards
in places, where clearly the floor is slightly uneven. The floor was
laid onto a thin layer of insulating foam on top of screed. It
doesn't bother me so much a SWMBO, who now suggests that I fix a
quadrant beading or similar to disguise the gap. My inclination is to
leave well alone, but if forced I would prefer to fill the gap with
gun filler.

Anyone come across this problem before, and have a different solution?

Thanks

Edward

They have 4 colours of laminate filler at B&Q
Would that do the trick?

Well, it might do (it's a maple floor) but the question remains moot -
do I colour the gap to match the floor or the skirting boards? On the
one hand, the gap is part of the vertical surface (the skirting) but
on the other hand, the eye will more likely detect that the bottom of
skirting board is not a straight line than that there's this odd shape
to the floor at that point. There are a couple of places that I know
will be hidden behind furniture - maybe time for a wee experiment.

Thanks

Edward

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

So, I've laid the engineered wood floor in the new extension.
Yesterday I fitted the skirting boards and here's the thing. There's
a variable gap between the floor and the bottom of the skirting boards
in places, where clearly the floor is slightly uneven. The floor was
laid onto a thin layer of insulating foam on top of screed. It
doesn't bother me so much a SWMBO, who now suggests that I fix a
quadrant beading or similar to disguise the gap. My inclination is to
leave well alone, but if forced I would prefer to fill the gap with
gun filler.

Anyone come across this problem before, and have a different solution?

Thanks

Edward

They have 4 colours of laminate filler at B&Q
Would that do the trick?

Have just been on the B&Q website - can't find the filler you
mention. Can you supply a URL?

Thanks

Edward
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Nov, 16:46, mogga wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Shelf 3 Ashton DIY store...
I think b&q's site wins prizes for sheer frustration

Floor Pro Wood & Laminate Floor Gap Sealant Clear 125ml

Floor Pro Wood & Laminate Floor Gap Sealant medium 125ml
also light and dark versions.

This url might work...

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...&fh_secondid=9...

Yup, that's the stuff.

As for matching to to what - ask SWMBO what she thinks

Excellent idea - pass the buck time.

Thanks

Edward
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Nov, 15:48, Stuart Noble
On 21 Nov, 12:55, Stuart Noble
wrote:
stevelup wrote:
On Nov 21, 10:29 am, wrote:
[...]

Yes, a bit like my wife. I used to be a perfectionist, but it did my
head in....

Edward