Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting skirting board for laminate flooring

My son has just moved into his first (1930s) house and
wants to lay laminate flooring in some rooms. He doesn't
want to use a bead around the edge, prefering to lay the
laminate under the skirting. Rather than try and remove
the skirting (and probably wreck most of it in the process)
he's wondering if there's some sort of power saw that
can be used to just cut 10-15mm of the bottom - a bit
like a circular saw, but without anything protruding far
from the right hand edge. Obviously the depth would have
to be carefully set to avoid any power cables behind the
skirting, (which is why I think a jigsaw won't be suitable)
and he may have to use a knife/chisel to get right into the
corners.
Any ideas on this please?
David

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

DavidM wrote:

My son has just moved into his first (1930s) house and
wants to lay laminate flooring in some rooms. He doesn't
want to use a bead around the edge, prefering to lay the
laminate under the skirting. Rather than try and remove
the skirting (and probably wreck most of it in the process)
he's wondering if there's some sort of power saw that
can be used to just cut 10-15mm of the bottom - a bit
like a circular saw, but without anything protruding far
from the right hand edge. Obviously the depth would have
to be carefully set to avoid any power cables behind the
skirting, (which is why I think a jigsaw won't be suitable)
and he may have to use a knife/chisel to get right into the
corners.
Any ideas on this please?
David

You can get saws for trimming the bottoms of doors in situ which would
probably do - or even a biscuit jointer.

*However* it's all a waste of time 'cos it won't work without removing the
skirting board!

You need wedges between the wall and flooring on the starting side - which
can't subsequently be removed with the skirting in place. Likewise, you need
to get *beyond* the last board to lever them all together - which again you
can't do with the skirting in place.

Remove - and probably renew - the skirting board (it's not *that*
expensive!) and make a proper job of it.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"DavidM" wrote in message
news
My son has just moved into his first (1930s) house and
wants to lay laminate flooring in some rooms. He doesn't
want to use a bead around the edge, prefering to lay the
laminate under the skirting. Rather than try and remove
the skirting (and probably wreck most of it in the process)
he's wondering if there's some sort of power saw that
can be used to just cut 10-15mm of the bottom - a bit
like a circular saw, but without anything protruding far
from the right hand edge. Obviously the depth would have
to be carefully set to avoid any power cables behind the
skirting, (which is why I think a jigsaw won't be suitable)
and he may have to use a knife/chisel to get right into the
corners.
Any ideas on this please?
David

Laminate flooring looks nice, but as far as I am concerned, it makes a room
echo like mad and is not really a pleasant experience for the neighbours
either.
My neighbour has laminate flooring and we can ear everytime someone walks
into her lounge

Carpets are much better
--
the_constructor

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
DavidM wrote:

My son has just moved into his first (1930s) house and
wants to lay laminate flooring in some rooms. He doesn't
want to use a bead around the edge, prefering to lay the
laminate under the skirting. Rather than try and remove
the skirting (and probably wreck most of it in the process)
he's wondering if there's some sort of power saw that
can be used to just cut 10-15mm of the bottom

Bite the bullet - remove the skirting and chuck it ... then fit new
skirting, if you choose something deeper it will make for easier
fitting - spanning the wall skim joint if there is one.

You might find it worthwhile to refit with good thick beads of mastik
adhesive .. I used Pink Grip on my skirtings - seems to have much
better first 'grab' than Gripfill, and is much stronger than the diy
stuff ... no-more nails etc.
But make sure you get rid of all loose dust - and wipe back of boards
with meths first to remove any resin.
Pack underneath to hol it up ... and then screw, nail or pin to hold
until glue sets.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Joe Joe is offline

"Osprey" wrote in message
ups.com...

Roger Mills wrote:
DavidM wrote:

[...]

I bought a cutter that fitted to a angle grinder to undercut the skirting's,
waste of money and effort, remove the skirting's and replace, I used white
UPVC, that was five years ago, her indoors still says what a nice job I did
:-))
Joe

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 13, 8:39 pm, "the_constructor"
wrote:
[...]

And just how does that help the OP?

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Joe wrote:

I bought a cutter that fitted to a angle grinder to undercut the skirting's,
waste of money and effort

Agreed. Nothing will do that kind of cut.
You don't have to wreck the skirting just by taking it off. What you
probably will wreck is the plaster/battens behind it, but that's easy
enough to repair.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

DavidM wrote:
My son has just moved into his first (1930s) house and
wants to lay laminate flooring in some rooms. He doesn't
want to use a bead around the edge, prefering to lay the
laminate under the skirting. Rather than try and remove
the skirting (and probably wreck most of it in the process)
he's wondering if there's some sort of power saw that
can be used to just cut 10-15mm of the bottom - a bit
like a circular saw, but without anything protruding far
from the right hand edge. Obviously the depth would have
to be carefully set to avoid any power cables behind the
skirting, (which is why I think a jigsaw won't be suitable)
and he may have to use a knife/chisel to get right into the
corners.
Any ideas on this please?

We've just laid laminate flooring in our lounge and I'm never doing it
again. We used that Aqualok clicky together stuff and it took me 15 hours.
I'm not particularly cack handed so either I missed something really obvious
or you have to assemble a whole run (i.e. room width) of the stuff then
click it into the previous run.

Anyway we didn't used a bead or cur the skirting. We used a 1 cm wide cork
strip round the edge and left it exposed. Of course you do have to make sure
the edges line up perfectly especially in the middle round the hearth.

--
Malc

"AFB Mr Tracey."
"Underbirths are og"

Les Barker - Irrational Neutscene

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Thanks to all for your advice, very helpful.
David.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

My son has just moved into his first (1930s) house and
wants to lay laminate flooring in some rooms. He doesn't
want to use a bead around the edge, prefering to lay the
laminate under the skirting.

If he ever goes back to carpets he'll (possibly) have noticeable gaps
around the skirting and under the doors.

If you do take it off, don't throw it away though, reuse it!

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 15 Dec 2006 06:06:32 -0800 DrLargePants wrote :
My son has just moved into his first (1930s) house and
wants to lay laminate flooring in some rooms. He doesn't
want to use a bead around the edge, prefering to lay the
laminate under the skirting.

If he ever goes back to carpets he'll (possibly) have noticeable
gaps around the skirting and under the doors.

Just lay the carpet on the laminate surely?

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

malc wrote:

We've just laid laminate flooring in our lounge and I'm never doing it
again. We used that Aqualok clicky together stuff and it took me 15 hours.
I'm not particularly cack handed so either I missed something really obvious

I believe so...

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Just lay the carpet on the laminate surely?

Never thought of that, lol!

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

adder1969 wrote:
malc wrote:

We've just laid laminate flooring in our lounge and I'm never doing
it again. We used that Aqualok clicky together stuff and it took me
15 hours. I'm not particularly cack handed so either I missed
something really obvious

I believe so...

And....

--
Malc

Justin unbuttoned Clothilde's tight blouse and her breasts fell out. He
picked them up and put them back in again.
"Thank you," said Clothilde, polite even in passion. "I'm always losing
them."

John Cleary - Bear Pit

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On 15 Dec 2006 06:06:32 -0800 DrLargePants wrote :
My son has just moved into his first (1930s) house and
wants to lay laminate flooring in some rooms. He doesn't
want to use a bead around the edge, prefering to lay the
laminate under the skirting.

If he ever goes back to carpets he'll (possibly) have noticeable
gaps around the skirting and under the doors.

Just lay the carpet on the laminate surely?

Do not forget, the bodgers put the laminate on the carpet underlay.

Adam

Look for a good setup to cutting 1/8" slot it 1/4" laminate flooring # Fred # Woodworking 1 August 30th 06 05:16 PM
Cutting skirting board John Kelly UK diy 15 July 31st 06 09:47 PM
Cutting laminate flooring - sliding mitre saw? David W.E. Roberts UK diy 17 April 13th 06 12:28 AM
Skirting board Chris Styles UK diy 8 February 8th 06 05:45 PM
Laminate flooring and skirting john UK diy 0 August 7th 05 05:15 PM