Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stopping rats getting under eaves

Installing roof insulation in our single storey dining room revealed heavy
rat infestation in the past. Entry point is clearly via the outside
downpipe and then under the pantiles through the plastic stuff to prevent
birds going in. I obviously need to block off this access route. I could
push scrunched up chicken wire into each of the arches formed by the tiles,
but as there are rather a lot of them I wondered if there was any
proprietary product that was available to do this. Any thoughts?

TIA

Keith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keith Dunbar wrote:
Installing roof insulation in our single storey dining room revealed heavy
rat infestation in the past. Entry point is clearly via the outside
downpipe and then under the pantiles through the plastic stuff to prevent
birds going in. I obviously need to block off this access route. I could
push scrunched up chicken wire into each of the arches formed by the tiles,
but as there are rather a lot of them I wondered if there was any
proprietary product that was available to do this. Any thoughts?

Sounds a good plan - am not aware of anything better. As you probably
know, it's important not to block off the airflow, so something like
chicken wire is a good solution. Will clearly need to be something like
metal or it won't stop the little buggers.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Keith Dunbar" wrote in message
Installing roof insulation in our single storey dining room revealed
heavy rat infestation in the past. Entry point is clearly via the
outside downpipe and then under the pantiles through the plastic stuff
to prevent birds going in. I obviously need to block off this access
route. I could push scrunched up chicken wire into each of the arches
formed by the tiles, but as there are rather a lot of them I wondered
if there was any proprietary product that was available to do this.
Any thoughts?

Screwfix do something called "soffit mesh", as well as "eaves comb
filler" which you probably already have. The mesh is available in
stainless steel, which might avoid any rust-staining you could get as
the chicken wire rots away. Could it be cut into a comb?

Could it be furry-tailed rats, aka squirrels, that have been invading?

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Autolycus" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Kevin,

Do you mean this?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/76498/...sh-75mm-x-30m#

It doesn't actually say what it's made of though. But something like that
would be ideal. I imagine eaves comb filler is plastic and eminently
eatable!

Could be squirrels I suppose - what does squirrel poo look like?

Keith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keith Dunbar wrote:
"Autolycus" wrote in message
[...]

It's stainless steel - should be OK if it covers the relevant access
holes: how will it fill the 'arches' though? Would you scrunch it up?

Having said that - it does mention "birds and insects" on the box, which
might suggest that they don't guarantee it's rat-proof?

This is the eaves comb filler:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/40157/Building/Building-Ventilation/Eaves-Comb-Filler-1000mm#
however, that's placky and will certainly not stop Ratty.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Keith Dunbar" wrote in message

"Autolycus" wrote in message

snip

Screwfix do something called "soffit mesh", as well as "eaves comb
filler" which you probably already have.

Do you mean this?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/76498/...sh-75mm-x-30m#

It doesn't actually say what it's made of though.

I'd looked it up in the paper catalogue, which shows that one as
stainless steel and an alternative plastic one.

Could be squirrels I suppose - what does squirrel poo look like?

I have a Boys Book of Turds somewhere - I'll have a look.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Autolycus" wrote

Could be squirrels I suppose - what does squirrel poo look like?

I have a Boys Book of Turds somewhere - I'll have a look.

A hazlenut in every bite!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keith Dunbar wrote:
Installing roof insulation in our single storey dining room revealed heavy
rat infestation in the past. Entry point is clearly via the outside
downpipe and then under the pantiles through the plastic stuff to prevent
birds going in. I obviously need to block off this access route. I could
push scrunched up chicken wire into each of the arches formed by the tiles,
but as there are rather a lot of them I wondered if there was any
proprietary product that was available to do this. Any thoughts?

Whatever you do, I have the feeling that you'll have to back up with
poisoning --- outside; and start again each year at the end of August
--- thinking country rats, but urban ones likely the same.

Jon C.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan Campbell wrote:
Keith Dunbar wrote:
Installing roof insulation in our single storey dining room revealed
heavy rat infestation in the past. Entry point is clearly via the
outside downpipe and then under the pantiles through the plastic stuff
to prevent birds going in. I obviously need to block off this access
route. I could push scrunched up chicken wire into each of the arches
formed by the tiles, but as there are rather a lot of them I wondered
if there was any proprietary product that was available to do this.
Any thoughts?

Whatever you do, I have the feeling that you'll have to back up with
poisoning --- outside; and start again each year at the end of August
--- thinking country rats, but urban ones likely the same.

Jon C.

Rat crap is about the shape of a date stone but smaller and black.
Poison is not really satisfactory as they usually die in the loft and
stink as they rot. Short and intense in the summer. Less odorous but
longer in the winter.

I had a bad problem and having pantiles could not physically stop them.
With a lot of scepticism, I tried out an ultrasound repeller. I have now
had three years without rats. Occasionally I hear one come in and then
go once the sound and the mains-borne noise hits it. 100% success so
far. You have to have a mains supply in your loft though. With part p
that is now more of a problem than it used to be. You are allowed one
extension off a socket.

Peter Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Jonathan Campbell
scribeth thus
Keith Dunbar wrote:
Installing roof insulation in our single storey dining room revealed heavy
rat infestation in the past. Entry point is clearly via the outside
downpipe and then under the pantiles through the plastic stuff to prevent
birds going in. I obviously need to block off this access route. I could
push scrunched up chicken wire into each of the arches formed by the tiles,
but as there are rather a lot of them I wondered if there was any
proprietary product that was available to do this. Any thoughts?

Whatever you do, I have the feeling that you'll have to back up with
poisoning --- outside; and start again each year at the end of August
--- thinking country rats, but urban ones likely the same.

Jon C.

Pardon a daft question but...

Can Rats and mice climb a vertical brick wall up to gutter height or do
they use other methods like get into and go up in cavities?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I had a bad problem and having pantiles could not physically stop them.
With a lot of scepticism, I tried out an ultrasound repeller. I have now
had three years without rats. Occasionally I hear one come in and then
go once the sound and the mains-borne noise hits it. 100% success so
far. You have to have a mains supply in your loft though. With part p
that is now more of a problem than it used to be. You are allowed one
extension off a socket.

Peter Scott

Where did you get those from Peter?..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Scott" wrote in message
om...

Jonathan Campbell wrote:
Keith Dunbar wrote:
[...]

Interesting - I spoke with a pest control person about these and they were
pretty sure they didn't work - mainly because the rats got used to them.
She said if they worked successfully they'd be selling them! But are you
saying you only switch it on when you hear rats though? A friend of a
friend has a rat problem which was solved very quickly with one of those in
that they left pronto. But perhaps leaving it on all the time wouldn't
work. I'd be interested to know which unit you use.

Keith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keith Dunbar wrote:
[...]

Pest control person I spoke to says they can climb pretty much anything. I
reckon mine went up the downpipe 'cos the entrance hole through the eaves
filler is just above it and the dining room is only single storey. She also
said that having climbing plants on your walls very much increases the
chance of them getting into lofts.

Keith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
Keith Dunbar wrote:
"Autolycus" wrote in message
[...]

Have found brick reinforcing coil in Screwfix that seems very similar to
soffit mesh, but much much cheaper:

https://www.screwfix.com/prods/94846...oil-65mm-x-20M

I wonder if I could use this to block the holes under the tiles and still
keep the airflow?

Keith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Autolycus" wrote in message

"Keith Dunbar" wrote in message

Could be squirrels I suppose - what does squirrel poo look like?

I have a Boys Book of Turds somewhere - I'll have a look.

I'd mis-remembered the title slightly it's actually "Mammals of
Britain - Their Tracks, Trails, and Signs"

Squirrel turds are about 1/4inch diameter, roughly spherical to vaguely
potato-shaped (but vary according to diet). Rat turds are, as others
have said, shaped like date stones, about 1/4" diameter and up to 3/4"
long.

Bat identification by their pelvis shape, anyone?

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keith Dunbar wrote:
"Peter Scott" wrote in message
om...

Interesting - I spoke with a pest control person about these and they were
pretty sure they didn't work - mainly because the rats got used to them.
She said if they worked successfully they'd be selling them! But are you
saying you only switch it on when you hear rats though? A friend of a
friend has a rat problem which was solved very quickly with one of those in
that they left pronto. But perhaps leaving it on all the time wouldn't
work. I'd be interested to know which unit you use.

Keith

I'll have to look up the source of the devices. They've been in a while
and not in my current file. I was *very* sceptical. Snake oil and so on.
All I can say is they work for me. A bad problem - two or three nests a
year followed by poison and pong - now none for three years. I tried one
then bought two more as I have three lofts. Even works with heavy glass
insulation (25 cm). I thought the little (sorry big) buggers would hide
under it and not hear the sound.

The devices stay on all the time but the sound changes periodically so
they never get used to it. The devices also send an electromagnetic
signal down the mains leads that radiates and disturbs them. I had
severe doubts about that. I expected to get Serenade for Roland Rat Opus
3 coming through my audio system. But no.

Yippee just found the details. Pestguard PST093 from Group 55 Ltd, 2
Sherdley Road, Lostock Hall, Preston Lancs PR5 5LP. 01772 310200. No
doubt others supply it, or its successor. Cost me £35 including carriage.

In answer to another message, rats seem to be able to climb anything. I
passed a nearby stable to see a row of blokes with guns. Turns it that
this was a rat shoot (after moving the geegees out!). You could see them
(rats that is) zooming up walls and up from drains. Rushed home to
borrow my son's 22 but didn't get back in time. Normally I respect life
but rats are revolting. What makes it worse they are intelligent as well
and incredibly adaptable.

Good luck

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keith Dunbar wrote:
[...]

Many thanks Peter, that's really helpful.

Keith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keith Dunbar wrote:
"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Jonathan Campbell
scribeth thus
Keith Dunbar wrote:

[...]
oughts?

Whatever you do, I have the feeling that you'll have to back up with
poisoning --- outside; and start again each year at the end of August
--- thinking country rats, but urban ones likely the same.

Jon C.

Pardon a daft question but...

Can Rats and mice climb a vertical brick wall up to gutter height or do
they use other methods like get into and go up in cavities?...

[...]

Pest control person I spoke to says they can climb pretty much anything. I
reckon mine went up the downpipe 'cos the entrance hole through the eaves
filler is just above it and the dining room is only single storey. She also
said that having climbing plants on your walls very much increases the
chance of them getting into lofts.

That's why I mentioned poison, and *outside*. My mothers house was
plagued with rats; for a numbers of years I attacked them with
relentless poisoning from late August onwards --- until April or May
(?), and the problem disappeared.

Granted the house is 300 years old and thatched and has wooden floors in
some rooms, so there are a multitude of possible entry points. There did
tend to be more evidence of them in the attic --- maybe they liked to
'live' there for the peace and quiet.

We did have one of those ultrasound machines, but there is no reason to
believe that it did any good. In any case, I'm convinced that once they
are inside, rather like burglars, the battle is mostly lost.

Best regards,

Jon C.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan Campbell wrote:

We did have one of those ultrasound machines, but there is no reason to
believe that it did any good. In any case, I'm convinced that once they
are inside, rather like burglars, the battle is mostly lost.

Best regards,

Jon C.

OK Jon, but I can only report my own findings. Serious problem, now 100%
gone.

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Scott wrote:

Jonathan Campbell wrote:

We did have one of those ultrasound machines, but there is no reason
to believe that it did any good. In any case, I'm convinced that once
they are inside, rather like burglars, the battle is mostly lost.

Best regards,

Jon C.

OK Jon, but I can only report my own findings. Serious problem, now 100%
gone.

Peter, Apologies, I hadn't read *your* messages properly at all. The
shambles that was our loft (*), plus all the different compartments and
only one with power and moderately easy access, means that we didn't
give it a real chance and so my comment hadn't any general worth.

(*) see http://www.jgcampbell.com/thatch/int2.jpg

Best regards,

Jon C.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keith Dunbar wrote:
"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Jonathan Campbell
scribeth thus
Keith Dunbar wrote:

[...]
oughts?

[...]

Ever tried a MK1 Pussy cat?..

And a bit underfed!..
--
Tony Sayer

Bats in eaves Joe Casey Home Repair 7 May 13th 18 05:14 PM
eaves storage rob UK diy 7 October 3rd 06 12:01 PM
reshingling from the eaves up Choreboy Home Repair 19 August 31st 05 10:06 PM
ceiling lower than eaves N. Thornton UK diy 10 September 30th 04 03:43 PM
Rot? in eaves cupboard Richard UK diy 1 September 14th 03 12:04 AM