Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Generator safety question - grounding

I have a petrol generator in my vehicle that is used to power
equipment such as a pressure washer or other electrical item.
Obviously the generator exhaust is directed outside of the vehicle
and ventilation is good so this query does not concern Carbon Monoxide
issues.

Specifically, this query relates to the subject of grounding. The
generator is in the vehicle load bed and is obviously well separated
from the ground. The vehicle is usually operated on concrete or tarmac
so if a ground rod were necessary it wouldn't be possible. The
question is, ignoring whether I could fit a rod or not, is one
necessary? Would having one be more dangerous than not?

Is there any advantage in using a trip of some sort or because of the
earthing (or absence thereof) would it simply not work or work so well
that the supply is simply disconnected?

Any advice welcomed.

Flynt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Flynt wrote:

Specifically, this query relates to the subject of grounding.

We tend to call it earthing on this side of the pond.

generator is in the vehicle load bed and is obviously well separated
from the ground. The vehicle is usually operated on concrete or tarmac
so if a ground rod were necessary it wouldn't be possible. The
question is, ignoring whether I could fit a rod or not, is one
necessary? Would having one be more dangerous than not?

Is there any advantage in using a trip of some sort or because of the
earthing (or absence thereof) would it simply not work or work so well
that the supply is simply disconnected?

Any advice welcomed.

It's considered acceptable to use small generators like this as a
floating (unearthed | ungrounded) system, on a temporary basis. Ensure
that the generator output is truly floating, i.e. it doesn't have a
neutral or centre-tap connected to the framework.

For more details of sensible precautions see this article from the IEE
Wiring Matters magazine:

http://www2.theiet.org/Publish/WireR...tion_sites.pdf

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www2.theiet.org/Publish/WireR...ocuments/Issue...

--
Andy

Thanks Andy

Generator Safety Gunner Asch Metalworking 0 December 10th 05 11:27 PM
Generator Safety Stormin Mormon Home Repair 13 December 10th 05 11:19 PM
Grounding a generator Robert Morein Home Repair 38 December 30th 04 04:05 AM
Generator Grounding PoP UK diy 10 November 13th 03 12:29 PM
Doulble Receptacle Grounding Question/ Switch Grounding Michael Roback Home Repair 1 September 7th 03 07:37 AM