Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Bathroom Fan ?

Does it matter where in a bathroom an extractor fan is located ?
--
the_constructor

Don't tip it, recycle it. Join your local group.

http://freecycle.org/display.php?reg...ited%20Kingdom

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:
Does it matter where in a bathroom an extractor fan is located ?

Well, insdie the soil pipe is deprecated :-)
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"the_constructor" wrote:

Does it matter where in a bathroom an extractor fan is located ?

For maximum efficiency it should be mounted as high as possible (warm air
rises) and opposite the source of air (door, window, whatever) that replaces
the air extracted . If placed too close to the source of replacement air
then local air circulation can be set up which leaves the rest of the room
untouched.

If the above leaves you spoilt for a choice of sites then consider any
prevailing wind direction on your house. Pointed 'into wind' will mean the
fan spends most of it's time with the anti-draught vanes pushed shut on
windy days.

Mel W.

--
the_constructor

Don't tip it, recycle it. Join your local group.

http://freecycle.org/display.php?reg...ited%20Kingdom

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:
Does it matter where in a bathroom an extractor fan is located ?

Well somebody pointed out on here once that it makes sense not to
position it so that the loo, sink and extractor are all in line, meaning
that the ****ty-molecule-laden airflow is sucked from the toilet over
the toothbrush rack and out of the vent.

[And that's just how mine's set up... :-( ]

David
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
the_constructor wrote:
Does it matter where in a bathroom an extractor fan is located ?

Well somebody pointed out on here once that it makes sense not to position
it so that the loo, sink and extractor are all in line, meaning that the
****ty-molecule-laden airflow is sucked from the toilet over the
toothbrush rack and out of the vent.

[And that's just how mine's set up... :-( ]

A good reason for putting the toilet seat down before flushing.

Adam

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Yes

"the_constructor" wrote in message
| Does it matter where in a bathroom an extractor fan is located ?
| --
| the_constructor
|
| Don't tip it, recycle it. Join your local group.
|
| http://freecycle.org/display.php?reg...ited%20Kingdom

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"the_constructor" wrote

Does it matter where in a bathroom an extractor fan is located ?
--
the_constructor

Most important is the removal of moisture laden air, so position it close
above shower (if you have one). Otherwise the damp will condense on walls
rather than being removed.
Second most important - get a decent fan not a cheap shed piece of tat.
I have installed Vent Axia 125 inline fan for bathroom and Xpelair 100mm fan
for downstairs toilet - both work well.
I inherited a Manrose 100mm fan in en suite - diabolical!!

If you want to do the job once and be satisfied with the result get quality
item.

Phil

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-18, ARWadsworth wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message
the_constructor wrote:
Does it matter where in a bathroom an extractor fan is located ?
Well somebody pointed out on here once that it makes sense not to position
it so that the loo, sink and extractor are all in line, meaning that the
****ty-molecule-laden airflow is sucked from the toilet over the
toothbrush rack and out of the vent.

[And that's just how mine's set up... :-( ]

A good reason for putting the toilet seat down before flushing.

Mythbusters played with this one, keeping serried ranks of toothbrushes in their
bathroom for a week. On subsequent microbiological analysis, they could find no
contamination of the brushes above background.

Dunno who 'mythbusters' are, but I'm delighted to hear it! ;-)
David

Non-bathroom light in bathroom Martin Pentreath UK diy 6 August 10th 07 11:34 AM
50s Bathroom Pat Home Repair 1 May 15th 07 12:15 AM
Bathroom Re-Do Melanie Home Repair 4 August 24th 06 11:07 PM
WM/TD in bathroom? Martin Angove UK diy 4 February 25th 06 03:17 PM
Bathroom - how to put right Charles Middleton UK diy 8 September 22nd 04 11:42 PM