Senior Member

Default Cable scanner

I need to cut one unused cable out of a bunch of similarly looking Ethernet cables.

I have access to both ends of all cables, including the cable I need to cut

I should not cut any used cable, only the unused one but at the point of the cut I don't know which one is the unused one.

I have seen BT engineers solve this problem by connecting something like a signal emitter at one end of the cable and then use a pickup tool that emits a sound when close to the cable that has the emitter connected.

Can someone point me to where I can find this product?

Also, is there a cheaper way to do this without buying that emitter and pickup?

Thanks,

Antonio
Posted to uk.d-i-y

asalcedo wrote:
I need to cut one unused cable out of a bunch of similarly looking
Ethernet cables.

I have access to both ends of all cables, including the cable I need to
cut

I should not cut any used cable, only the unused one but at the point
of the cut I don't know which one is the unused one.

I have seen BT engineers solve this problem by connecting something
like a signal emitter at one end of the cable and then use a pickup
tool that emits a sound when close to the cable that has the emitter
connected.

Can someone point me to where I can find this product?

Also, is there a cheaper way to do this without buying that emitter and
pickup?

Thanks,

Antonio

Try an guitar amp with cable pluuged into ext speakers, and a guitar
pickup waved near the cabe. when it squeals it's the one you want.

Or put a car battery across it The smoky smelly one is the one to remove.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"asalcedo" wrote in message

I need to cut one unused cable out of a bunch of similarly looking
Ethernet cables.

I have access to both ends of all cables, including the cable I need to
cut

I should not cut any used cable, only the unused one but at the point
of the cut I don't know which one is the unused one.

I have seen BT engineers solve this problem by connecting something
like a signal emitter at one end of the cable and then use a pickup
tool that emits a sound when close to the cable that has the emitter
connected.

Can someone point me to where I can find this product?

Also, is there a cheaper way to do this without buying that emitter and
pickup?

Thanks,

Antonio

Simple. Connect one of the wire pairs together then use a multimeter
set to the low ohms or continuity range to find the short circuit at the
other
end of the cable.

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

HI
Maplin do a nice one (got one myself) known to them as a bt 'tone tester' .
Mind you a cheeper way is to short out one end of the unused cable and look
for a short ,with a multimeter set on ohms,at the other.

HTH
CJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 21:56:07 -0000, Graham. wrote:

I need to cut one unused cable out of a bunch of similarly looking
Ethernet cables.

Simple. Connect one of the wire pairs together then use a multimeter
set to the low ohms or continuity range to find the short circuit at the
other end of the cable.

So he knows which cable is the unused one at each end fine but I have a
feeling the OP want to know which that cable is somewhere in between the
two ends.

A cheap solution for the "tone & probe" is CPC part no: IN04456 £39.95 +
VAT or choose one of the kits from:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/br...1002930+500001

TBH a tone and probe is probably the only way to accuratly determine which
cable is the unsused one in a bundle. When you think you have the right
cable tease it away from the others to make sure, you can mislead yourself
unless you are careful.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Senior Member

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your response. Yes, I need to know in between the two ends and the Tone and Probe kit is what I needed.

Regards,

Antonio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Liquorice View Post