Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cable scanner

asalcedo wrote:
I need to cut one unused cable out of a bunch of similarly looking
Ethernet cables.

I have access to both ends of all cables, including the cable I need to
cut

I should not cut any used cable, only the unused one but at the point
of the cut I don't know which one is the unused one.

I have seen BT engineers solve this problem by connecting something
like a signal emitter at one end of the cable and then use a pickup
tool that emits a sound when close to the cable that has the emitter
connected.

Can someone point me to where I can find this product?

Also, is there a cheaper way to do this without buying that emitter and
pickup?

Thanks,

Antonio

Try an guitar amp with cable pluuged into ext speakers, and a guitar
pickup waved near the cabe. when it squeals it's the one you want.

Or put a car battery across it The smoky smelly one is the one to remove.