Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Loud banging from airing cupboard and crunching sound from radiators

Hello all

I hope someone can help me with this problem as it is starting to really
annoy us.

I leave the heating turned on at the timer in the airing cupboard and
control the heating with the thermostat situated in the hall.

After the heating has been on for a few hours (this is not constant) at
approximately 20 Degrees C there is a very loud banging that sounds as if it
is coming from the airing cupboard.

There is also a kind of crunching sound that comes from the radiators even
though they are warm.

If I run the hot water tap for a few seconds then the banging will stop.

I have tried to bleed the radiators using the key but there is little or no
air in them.

Is there anyway to get rid of air in the system easily without having to get
a plumber in?

I had thought about draining down the system but do not really know how to
do this and also do not know if this would get rid of the air.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kevin Cowans" wrote in message
[...]

What type of boiler has your system got? It it a combi?
Is there a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard?
It it a sealed system (with a pressure guage)? What pressure is it showing?

We need more info...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kevin Cowans" wrote in message
Hello all

I hope someone can help me with this problem as it is starting to really
annoy us.

I leave the heating turned on at the timer in the airing cupboard and
control the heating with the thermostat situated in the hall.

After the heating has been on for a few hours (this is not constant) at
approximately 20 Degrees C there is a very loud banging that sounds as if
it is coming from the airing cupboard.

There is also a kind of crunching sound that comes from the radiators even
though they are warm.

If I run the hot water tap for a few seconds then the banging will stop.

It sound as though the water in the system is boiling and trying to vent.
Perhaps the boiler thermostat is not operating properly or the boiler
temperature is set too high. The noise could perhaps also be a zone valve
sticking or trying to open/close.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin Cowans wrote:

After the heating has been on for a few hours (this is not constant) at
approximately 20 Degrees C there is a very loud banging that sounds as if it
is coming from the airing cupboard.

There is also a kind of crunching sound that comes from the radiators even
though they are warm.

If I run the hot water tap for a few seconds then the banging will stop.

I have tried to bleed the radiators using the key but there is little or no
air in them.

My heating system had symptoms like that - it seems that the plumber we
had paid to (among other things) add anti-freeze to the system, had
turned off the water to the expansion tank while doing the work, and had
neglected to turn it back on when done. The tank was lidless - and
about 18 months later, most of the water had evaporated.
It was the middle of winter, my young daughter and I were alone, and it
sounded like the system was about to explode!.
After running the hot tap and turning off the heating, I checked the
tank in the loft, saw it was empty, found the valve, which was carefully
hidden by insulation, and turned it on.
The tank now has a lid, and I called a different plumber the next time I
needed work done....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hello Alan

What type of boiler has your system got? It it a combi?

The boiler is a Maxol HomeWarm 600 (Combi).

Is there a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard?

Yes

It it a sealed system (with a pressure guage)? What pressure is it
showing?

No

Hope this helps.

Kevin

"Alan" wrote in message

[...]

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hello

The boiler is not a Combi, sorry about that, do not know what I was
thinking.

Thanks in advance

"Alan" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hello

Thanks for the reply.

I have checked the expansion tank and as far as I can tell everything is
correct, however I am unable to locate a valve in the loft.

This problem has me confused, plus everytime we have British Gas come out
the noise does not happen which does not make diagnosing the problem any
easier.

Thanks in advance

Kevin