Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Putting floor in loft - to building regs - costs

I was thinking about s l o w l y converting my loft - trying to keep
costs to a minimum - first stage would be to get a proper floor in
there - i assume the only way is move some tiles and get a crane to
hoist some beams in from the front? i also assume you pay hansomely to
have these delivered (and the costs of the beams) any ideas on costs
and is there any other way to do it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was thinking about s l o w l y converting my loft - trying to keep
costs to a minimum - first stage would be to get a proper floor in
there - i assume the only way is move some tiles and get a crane to
hoist some beams in from the front? i also assume you pay hansomely to
have these delivered (and the costs of the beams) any ideas on costs
and is there any other way to do it?

Firstly you do not have to crane in steel beams at all. Secondly, get some
books on loft conversions and read them before doing anything. Fully
understand what has to be done, and that includes getting a mains pressure
water system too. If you need to have one of these, it may be worth your
while doing this first and leave pipes available in the correct locations
ready for the loft extension.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Nov, 09:16, 405 TD Estate wrote:
I was thinking about s l o w l y converting my loft - trying to keep
costs to a minimum - first stage would be to get a proper floor in
there - i assume the only way is move some tiles and get a crane to
hoist some beams in from the front? i also assume you pay hansomely to
have these delivered (and the costs of the beams) any ideas on costs
and is there any other way to do it?

See http://www.internode.co.uk/loft
Also lots of info on this newsgroup.
There is no magic requirement for steels. It depends on the design of
your house and the spans involved. If you have a central structural
spine wall (e.g. between front/back sitting rooms and bedrooms), you
can use this to support joists. However, if you have a modern terraced
house with no structural walls upstairs, steels may be the only
practical way of building the loft floor.
Also, no time limit (AFAIK) on finishing a building controlled job, so
you could start it, do the floor and finish it s l o w l y !
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Any recommendation on books?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

405 TD Estate wrote:

I was thinking about s l o w l y converting my loft - trying to keep
costs to a minimum - first stage would be to get a proper floor in
there - i assume the only way is move some tiles and get a crane to
hoist some beams in from the front? i also assume you pay hansomely to
have these delivered (and the costs of the beams) any ideas on costs
and is there any other way to do it?

I dont know if beefing up whats already there might be an option,
using shorter pieces jointed after theyre in the loft. No crane then.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 5, 9:54 am, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
"405 TD Estate" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

I was thinking about s l o w l y converting my loft - trying to keep
costs to a minimum - first stage would be to get a proper floor in
there - i assume the only way is move some tiles and get a crane to
hoist some beams in from the front? i also assume you pay hansomely to
have these delivered (and the costs of the beams) any ideas on costs
and is there any other way to do it?

Firstly you do not have to crane in steel beams at all. Secondly, get some
books on loft conversions and read them before doing anything. Fully
understand what has to be done, and that includes getting a mains pressure
water system too.

What utter ********. Doing a loft in a way that satisfies building
regs does not require a mains pressure water system. You've really
lost it this time.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 05:07:59 -0800 wrote :
I dont know if beefing up whats already there might be an option,
using shorter pieces jointed after theyre in the loft. No crane
then.

One option with steel beams is to have them cut and spliced,
typically three pieces. As the splice fabrication isn't cheap, most
contractors I have dealt with in the past prefer the crane option but
sometimes - trees, telephone wires etc - it's not possible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Or he can fit tanks in the eves and have pumps - duh!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 05:07:59 -0800 wrote :
I dont know if beefing up whats already there might be an option,
using shorter pieces jointed after theyre in the loft. No crane
then.

One option with steel beams

TGI "I" beams will do (Masonite). No need for over engineering a loft
conversion. TJI's are very light and one man can lift into place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Firstly you do not have to crane in steel beams at all. Secondly, get
some books on loft conversions and read them before doing anything.
Fully understand what has to be done, and that includes getting a mains
pressure water system too. If you need to have one of these, it may be
worth your while doing this first and leave pipes available in the
correct locations ready for the loft extension.

Utter ******** as usual. You don't *have* to convert to mains pressure if
doing a loft conversion.

--
*A snooze button is a poor substitute for no alarm clock at all *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tony Bryer wrote:
I dont know if beefing up whats already there might be an option,
using shorter pieces jointed after theyre in the loft. No crane
then.

One option with steel beams is to have them cut and spliced,
typically three pieces. As the splice fabrication isn't cheap, most
contractors I have dealt with in the past prefer the crane option but
sometimes - trees, telephone wires etc - it's not possible.

Across the road where the builders have been in for months they didn't
bother with a crane. Just plenty of Polish labour. ;-)

--
*I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Firstly you do not have to crane in steel beams at all. Secondly, get
some books on loft conversions and read them before doing anything.
Fully understand what has to be done, and that includes getting a mains
pressure water system too. If you need to have one of these, it may be
worth your while doing this first and leave pipes available in the
correct locations ready for the loft extension.

Utter

Please eff off you are total idiot!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

and that includes getting a mains pressure water system too.

Utter ********

Please eff off you are total idiot!

Please stop polluting newsgroups with your stupid views and get back into
treatment. It's not the end of the world that Dolphin sacked you for
incompetence. Just rare.

--
*Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

and that includes getting a mains pressure water system too.

Utter ********

Please eff off you are total idiot!

Please

Please eff off you are total idiot!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

and that includes getting a mains pressure water system too.

Utter ********

Please eff off you are total idiot!

Please

Please eff off you are total idiot!

I wonder if this character could be a turing test.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ps.com...
Doctor Drivel wrote:

and that includes getting a mains pressure water system too.

Utter ********

Please eff off you are total idiot!

Please

Please eff off you are total idiot!

I wonder if this character could be a turing test.

Or a Tourette's Test ?
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ps.com...
Doctor Drivel wrote:

and that includes getting a mains pressure water system too.

Utter ********

Please eff off you are total idiot!

Please

Please eff off you are total idiot!

I wonder if this character could be a turing test.

If he is, he failed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 5, 3:39 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Or he can fit tanks in the eves and have pumps - duh!!- Hide quoted text -

What doe he need a pump for, FFS? Hint: He has said nothing about
wanting a water supply in the converted loft so gravity will work just
fine, like it always has.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 5, 3:41 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
"Tony Bryer" wrote in message

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 05:07:59 -0800 wrote :
I dont know if beefing up whats already there might be an option,
using shorter pieces jointed after theyre in the loft. No crane
then.

One option with steel beams

TGI "I" beams will do (Masonite). No need for over engineering a loft
conversion.

LOL! So what's changing all the plumbing unneccessarily, if not over-
engineering?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 5, 3:39 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

You really don't know, do you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 6, 2:10 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Nov 5, 3:39 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

You really don't know, do you?-

So tell me, if you think you know any better!

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 6, 2:10 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Nov 5, 3:39 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

It is obvious I know a lot better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Please eff off you are total idiot!

I wonder if this character could be a turing test.

Or a Tourette's Test ?

heh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

405 TD Estate wrote:

I was thinking about s l o w l y converting my loft - trying to keep
costs to a minimum - first stage would be to get a proper floor in
there - i assume the only way is move some tiles and get a crane to
hoist some beams in from the front? i also assume you pay hansomely to
have these delivered (and the costs of the beams) any ideas on costs
and is there any other way to do it?

FWIW there's always solid timber floors, no joists of any kind.
3" or more thick, and all pieces can be carried up through the hatch.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 6, 4:08 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Nov 6, 2:10 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com...

On Nov 5, 3:39 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

It is obvious I know a lot better.- Hide quoted text -

Unless you can come up with the goods, its obvious that you're a total
fraud.

I'll challenge you once more, tell me what he needs a pump for, given
that he mentions no requirement for plumbing in the converted loft.

I'll let others decide on your knowledge when you fail to answer the
question.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 6, 2:10 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:

ups.com...

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 05:07:59 -0800 wrote :
I dont know if beefing up whats already there might be an option,
using shorter pieces jointed after theyre in the loft. No crane
then.

One option with steel beams

TGI "I" beams will do (Masonite). No need for over engineering a loft
conversion.

LOL! So what's changing all the plumbing unneccessarily, if
not over-engineering?

You are a plantpot!

Yet again, you are totally incapable of answering the question. You
need to go back in for an upgrade.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 7, 1:05 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article om,
wrote:

So tell me, if you think you know any better!

It is obvious I know a lot better.- Hide quoted text -

Unless you can come up with the goods, its obvious that you're a total
fraud.
I'll challenge you once more, tell me what he needs a pump for, given
that he mentions no requirement for plumbing in the converted loft.
I'll let others decide on your knowledge when you fail to answer the
question.

You have to remember that dibble's actual plumbing experience consists of
plastic pipes and hacksaws.

Got it! The pump is for pumping out the flood water after his next
plumbing exploit. Thanks for clearing that up.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ps.com...
On Nov 6, 4:08 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Nov 6, 2:10 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com...

On Nov 5, 3:39 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 6, 2:10 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 05:07:59 -0800 wrote :
I dont know if beefing up whats already there might be an option,
using shorter pieces jointed after theyre in the loft. No crane
then.

One option with steel beams

TGI "I" beams will do (Masonite). No need for over engineering a loft
conversion.

LOL! So what's changing all the plumbing unneccessarily, if
not over-engineering?

You are a plantpot!

Yet again,

You are still a plantpot!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 7, 3:43 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

On Nov 6, 4:08 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com...

On Nov 6, 2:10 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com...

On Nov 5, 3:39 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

More than you ever will.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Nov 7, 3:43 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

On Nov 6, 4:08 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com...

On Nov 6, 2:10 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com...

On Nov 5, 3:39 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

I fully agree. You will "don't know" more than I ever will.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 7, 3:43 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Nov 6, 2:10 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com...

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 05:07:59 -0800 wrote :
I dont know if beefing up whats already there might be an option,
using shorter pieces jointed after theyre in the loft. No crane
then.

One option with steel beams

TGI "I" beams will do (Masonite). No need for over engineering a loft
conversion.

LOL! So what's changing all the plumbing unneccessarily, if
not over-engineering?

You are a plantpot!

Yet again,

You are still a plantpot!-

Please eff off as you are Tosspot!

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 7, 9:12 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
"Man at B&Q" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

On Nov 7, 3:43 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On Nov 6, 4:08 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com...

On Nov 6, 2:10 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com...

On Nov 5, 3:39 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

Thought so.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 7, 9:12 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
"Man at B&Q" wrote in
ooglegroups.com...

On Nov 7, 3:43 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On Nov 6, 4:08 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com...

On Nov 6, 2:10 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com...

On Nov 5, 3:39 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

On Nov 5, 9:54 am, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:
"405 TD Estate" wrote in
ooglegroups.com...

[...]

You are a plantpot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 7, 3:43 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Nov 6, 2:10 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com...

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 05:07:59 -0800 wrote :
I dont know if beefing up whats already there might be an
option,
using shorter pieces jointed after theyre in the loft. No crane
then.

One option with steel beams

TGI "I" beams will do (Masonite). No need for over engineering a
loft
conversion.

LOL! So what's changing all the plumbing unneccessarily, if
not over-engineering?

You are a plantpot!

Yet again,

You are still a plantpot.

Please

You are still a plantpot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 8, 10:30 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
"Man at B&Q" wrote in oglegroups.com...

On Nov 7, 3:43 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com...

On Nov 6, 2:10 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com...

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 05:07:59 -0800 wrote :
I dont know if beefing up whats already there might be an
option,
using shorter pieces jointed after theyre in the loft. No crane
then.

One option with steel beams

TGI "I" beams will do (Masonite). No need for over engineering a
loft
conversion.

LOL! So what's changing all the plumbing unneccessarily, if
not over-engineering?

You are a plantpot!

Yet again,

You are still a plantpot.

Please

You are still a plantpot.

You really must eff off as you are a total tosspot

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 8, 10:29 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
"Man at B&Q" wrote in oglegroups.com...

On Nov 7, 9:12 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
"Man at B&Q" wrote in
ooglegroups.com...

On Nov 7, 3:43 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On Nov 6, 4:08 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com...

On Nov 6, 2:10 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com...

On Nov 5, 3:39 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

On Nov 5, 9:54 am, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

[...]