Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting 1.5 bowl sink and drainer into base unit problem

I am installing a kitchen from wickes.

I have one of those plasticy resiny modern 1.5 bowl with drainer sinks
to go in hole in worktop and sit in base unit housing.

I have tried to sit the sink unit into the base unit just to see how
it fits and it doesn't!

It sinks into the unit a couple of inches, then jams as the hole is
not large enough.

It is a 600 mm base unit. It is the correct type according to
everything I have read.

I take it, I am going to have to cut away some of the back panel, as I
can't see any other way to get the sink unit to fit.

I was expecting that it would just slot into the base.

Any advice please?

I cannot progress until I find the correct and best procedure to solve
this.

dog-man

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Perhaps I should have made it clearer that only the 2 x bowls are
supposed to sit within the base unit. The flat drainer will almost
just sit on the work top above a space for a dishwasher.

dog-man

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dog-man" wrote in message
ps.com...
I am installing a kitchen from wickes.

I have one of those plasticy resiny modern 1.5 bowl with drainer sinks
to go in hole in worktop and sit in base unit housing.

I have tried to sit the sink unit into the base unit just to see how
it fits and it doesn't!

It sinks into the unit a couple of inches, then jams as the hole is
not large enough.

It is a 600 mm base unit. It is the correct type according to
everything I have read.

I take it, I am going to have to cut away some of the back panel, as I
can't see any other way to get the sink unit to fit.

I was expecting that it would just slot into the base.

Any advice please?

I cannot progress until I find the correct and best procedure to solve
this.

dog-man

Is the issue with the front - back distance of the 600 base unit? - the
reason I ask is that some base units have a strip of chipboard (say 18mm x
70mm) across the back of the top of the unit with the 70mm side horizontal
and this needs to be either cut or repositioned "vertically" at the back
below sink level. The alternative is a 600mm under oven housing which
doesn't have the restriction.

PeterK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterK wrote:

"dog-man" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

It's not unusual to have to butcher base units under sinks. Providing
they're bolted to complete units either side, or fixed to an end panel,
stability isn't normally compromised.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

At the top of the base unit, front, there is a cross member 56.5cm x
8.1 cm approx.
At the rear of the unit, there is the almost full back board. It is
just 3 cm lower than the side panels.

This base unit, is deignated as either a base unit, sink unit or hob
unit. (multi purpose without any adjustments or extra pieces)

It is as selected by the wickes planner.

I don't think there is any way I can reposition the cross member at
the front unless I was to drill some holes, but I will look at this
option.

I tend to think I will have to lower the back board by about half and
give the exposed chipboard edge a good coat of varnish.

dog-man

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ooops!

Should have said "Yes", it is an issue with the space between front to
back. Side to side seems ok.

home made chuck for finishing the bowl base? minnjim Woodturning 36 April 9th 07 07:18 AM
change two sink vanity top to single bowl angelasg Home Repair 5 January 23rd 07 02:39 PM
Sink drainer seal/gasket elyob UK diy 1 July 23rd 06 03:56 PM
Kitchen base unit fitting Gogs UK diy 4 December 16th 05 05:59 PM
Flexible one and half bowl sink trap? Graham Jones UK diy 1 January 14th 05 12:53 AM