Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jo Jo is offline

Default Dehumidifier question

Hi,

We have been advised to get a dehumidifier for our 3-4 bed Victorian house.
The make quoted to us by the 'Damp Man' was a Delonghi (no model given). Has
anybody got any experiences of this brand or recommend an alternative ?

Thanks,
John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Jo" writes:
Hi,

We have been advised to get a dehumidifier for our 3-4 bed Victorian house.
The make quoted to us by the 'Damp Man' was a Delonghi (no model given). Has
anybody got any experiences of this brand or recommend an alternative ?

Would you like to explain the problem?
There's very little trust in this group in "Damp men" ;-)
Whilst dehumidifiers can have their role, you are need to
be careful about using them in a Victorian house because
they can do serious damage to the timber too, and there
are usually less risky and more effective ways to solve
most damp problems.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jo Jo is offline

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Jo" writes:
Hi,

We have been advised to get a dehumidifier for our 3-4 bed Victorian
house.
The make quoted to us by the 'Damp Man' was a Delonghi (no model given).
Has
anybody got any experiences of this brand or recommend an alternative ?

Would you like to explain the problem?
There's very little trust in this group in "Damp men" ;-)
Whilst dehumidifiers can have their role, you are need to
be careful about using them in a Victorian house because
they can do serious damage to the timber too, and there
are usually less risky and more effective ways to solve
most damp problems.

--
Andrew Gabriel

The problem is in two rooms - both with 3 cold outside walls. The kitchen
extension has suffered severe condensation problems. Humidity in this room
was fairly high.
The other problem room is our daughter's bedroom - again a similar problem -
3 outside walls, very cold (but she hates to have the heating on in her
room). Again, humidity in this room is high.

Jo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jo" writes:
[...]

See what she thinks about cork wall tiles. Gives you a massive notice
board and was very effective when I did it in my son's room 30 years ago
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jo" writes:
[...]

Jo- Hide quoted text -

Jo
There are two problems - associated with each other. One is your
production of water vapour as a house hold - the other is the poor U
values (insulation) of the walls. Attack both and you could solve the
problem.
Read up on the causes of condensation and cut out or minimise your
production of water vapour (eg trickle vents in windows, lids on
saucepans, no hanging of washing in bathroom to dry, tumble drier
vented outside, sleep with window open such as to allow vapour (1.5 L
per person) out etc etc
Consider internal insulation on walls eg Kinspan
A dehumidifier will not solve the problem unelss you seal yourselves
in - better to cure the cause than the symptom
chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jo wrote:

Hi,

We have been advised to get a dehumidifier for our 3-4 bed Victorian house.
The make quoted to us by the 'Damp Man' was a Delonghi (no model given). Has
anybody got any experiences of this brand or recommend an alternative ?

Thanks,
John

Dehumidifier sounds like the best option in this case. Be sure to
get a humidistatic one, as overdrying by an uncontrolled one can
end up causing timber damage.

Make is immaterial, though I never recommend Amcor.

NT