Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Worcester Bosch TR2 room stat - reverse engineered

Regular viewers may recall a thread a while back about attempting to
connect a normal prog stat to a WB boiler that was designed to interface
only with their proprietary TR2 room stat.

I received the following email the other day which looks like it
provides a solution:

"John
picked up your e-mail from a discussion about adding zone control to a
Worcester Bosch boiler. I appreciate you are not the poster of the
query but I am unable to post a reply and thought you may be able to
post/forward/explain how I can post. I have similar problem with this
boiler and have reverse engineered the TR2 interface (bit of an
exageration for what it is). I came up with what now seems an overly
complex solution which fooled the boiler into thinking the tr2 was a) in
constant mode and b) demanding max heat. this is done by inserting an
8.95 kohm (a standard 9.1kohm should still work) resistor across pins 4
& 3 of the tr2. The tr2 presents a resistance (my actual measured) to
the boiler based on the demand temperature on the rotary dial and the
position of the 4 position switch as follows:

switch position 30Deg .............0Deg
constant 8.95 kohm 11.27
timed 6.22k 8.54k
night(econ) 13.96k
frost 12.64

From observation of the pcb the rotory dial is a 2.2k pot. in series
with a 6.2k (3.5k +2.7k) and a 2.7k which is switched in for constant
(i.e un timed operation. it is worth noting that the pot is low for high
temp demand and 2.2k for low temp (confused me for a minute did that).
The night and frost are fixed 14k and 12.7k resistors.

looking back I think a simpler solution is to open/short circuit the
temperature sensor, which looks like a thermistor, between pin 4 and pin
F to fool the boiler into thinking it was cold. May need to insert a
specific value in/across. If there is any interest will look into this
option and report back.

Craig Nixon"

So there you go, it sounds rather like one could introduce a
conventional external battery powered stat (programmable if required),
by connecting a 8.95K and 2.2K resistors in series across the control
pins on the boiler, and then connecting the normally open contacts of
the stat across the 2.2K resister. That way as the external stat calls
for heat it would bridge the 2.2K out of circuit and change the demand
temperature sensed by the boiler from min to max.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to John Rumm, Chris Murray wrote:
Hi John & Craig I wonder if you could help me please. I have just bought a
house with a Worcester boiler but no room thermostat is fitted the tr2 is the
only suitable one but totally unobtainable now, have read your posts and would
like to make one can you advise please on the boiler connections I have the
installation instructions but a word of confirmation would be much
appreciated.Many Thanks, Chris Murray

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ed-428844-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 11 October 2007 03:39:15 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

From observation of the pcb the rotory dial is a 2.2k pot. in series
[...]

a candidate for the wiki perhaps
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/09/2017 19:28, wrote:
[...]

From observation of the pcb the rotory dial is a 2.2k pot. in series
[...]

You said that last time ;-)

My suggestion at the end would look something like:

The note I posted at the end of that post ought to do what you need:

/ RL1
|=====o o========|
| |
| |
4 ====\/\/\/\/========\/\/\/\/========= 3
R1 R2

R1 = 9k1 (nearest preferred value to 8.95k measured).
R2 = 2k2
RL1 = the two normally open contacts of a external programmable stat
(something like a Horstman C27)
3 & 4 = pins on the boiler.

However the thing missing from the TR2 above is an actual temperature
sensing element since the fixed resistors and the pot on the TR2 give
the required mode and the set temperature, but they won't tell the
boiler what the actual temperature is. I believe the TR2 used a third
wire for this.

So I think you will may also need a link of some kind between terminals
4 and F on the boiler to look like the resistance of a thermistor.

However since the thermistor is likely the negative temperature
coefficient type that seems common in heating systems, it will look like
a high resistance when cold. So open circuit may be good enough to
convince the boiler its 'kin freezing!

If that does not work, then some experimentation may be required, say
using a 100K or a10K fixed resistor between 4 and F.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2017 08:24, Brian Gaff wrote:

2007, Newer than usual for this stupid portal on Usenet. can we perhaps
kidnap the site writer and get them to make it work as it should, do you
think?

I suspect in this particular case Brian the OP was actually searching
for specific information on the TR2 and found the old post, rather than
the more typical case where the site shows a list of ancient topics as
if they were current.

The info from the 2007 post probably ought to be in the wiki anyway to
make it more accessible.

--
Cheers,

John.

---

Checking Out a Room Stat Kev UK diy 6 October 6th 06 06:01 PM
Room stat replacement Glenn Clark UK diy 8 February 2nd 06 07:44 PM
How to fit a room stat brian UK diy 8 January 11th 06 08:43 PM
Room stat for CH system John UK diy 2 November 2nd 04 10:20 AM
Room Stat BIC UK diy 12 December 10th 03 03:31 PM