John

Default Room stat for CH system

Hi,

My sister-in-law has a central heating system (hot water tank and rads) but
there's no room thermostat (well none that we can visibly see). Can this be
true? Is it easy to wire one in?

Thanks,
John

Christian McArdle

My sister-in-law has a central heating system (hot water tank and rads)
but
there's no room thermostat (well none that we can visibly see). Can this

be
true? Is it easy to wire one in?

Yes it can be true. The system could be one of many configurations. However,
a complete control overhaul may be required, especially if there is
currently gravity circulated water. She may not have a thermostat on the hot
water, leading to immense gas bills and dangerous scalding hot water.

Unfortunately, we can't advise the best solution, as we have insufficient
knowledge of the system. In particular, the type of boiler, pumping/gravity
arrangements, zone valves, electronic controls, etc. You may need to
investigate these items and say what you find.

You could start by listing the make and model of the boiler, the number of
zone valves, the location of the pump and the number of pipes coming from
the boiler, then we can indicate where further investigation is required.

Christian.

Set Square

John wrote:

Hi,

My sister-in-law has a central heating system (hot water tank and
rads) but there's no room thermostat (well none that we can visibly
see). Can this be true? Is it easy to wire one in?

Thanks,
John

Depends what the system is. If it's a solid fuel boiler with gravity
circulation of both HW and CH, there ain't much that a stat could do!

You need to provide more details of the system - fuel used, whether HW
gravity or pumped, what zone or diverter valves (if any) are fitted, etc.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Gravity HW/Pumped Heating - Need help Jason UK diy 26 July 21st 04 11:06 PM
Adding a wireless room thermostat JH UK diy 14 January 5th 04 04:17 PM
Room Stat BIC UK diy 12 December 10th 03 03:31 PM