Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dense concrete block wall - how high?

The garage is to get another extension - out the back this time and
one of the options is to build the longest wall (4 m long by 2m high)
of concrete blocks so that a fruit tree can be grown against it.

Can I build this without any buttressing as I plan to make the the
rest of the structure to be timber frame?

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Oct, 23:14, Skipweasel wrote:
In article . com,
says...

Can I build this without any buttressing as I plan to make the the
rest of the structure to be timber frame?

How thick are the blocks?
--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.

Aren't they standard at 100mm ?

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
The garage is to get another extension - out the back this time and
one of the options is to build the longest wall (4 m long by 2m high)
of concrete blocks so that a fruit tree can be grown against it.

Can I build this without any buttressing as I plan to make the the
rest of the structure to be timber frame?

You can, but over a few meters buttressing is not a bad idea.

My advice based on doing a soil retaining wall is to do it double
skinned, and either use cross bonding or ties EVERYWHERE.

That at least makes it a unitary structure. Going to 200mm wide gives it
a lot more 'pushover' stability.

If ts for a garage that may be used for working in, consider making it
an insulated (rockwool batts) cavity wall with proper DPC and ties between.
Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My advice based on doing a soil retaining wall is to do it double skinned,
and either use cross bonding or ties EVERYWHERE.

My advice would be to cast reinforced concrete to retain the soil and then
face it with brick.
I don't see how you are going to transfer the lateral force into the ground
using bricks unless you like out of vertical walls.
Concrete would be safer and probably cheaper.

Junior Member

Follow this link and download the building regulations part A

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/eng...000000067.html

Not having full knowledge of what your planning or what you've got, -
the things that will affect your answer are wall length, height, building area, wall width.

Read carefully then ring your building inspector with what you propose - hes the one who will say 'yeh' or 'neh'! (assuming you need regs)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

My advice based on doing a soil retaining wall is to do it double
skinned, and either use cross bonding or ties EVERYWHERE.

My advice would be to cast reinforced concrete to retain the soil and
then face it with brick.

Essentially thats what I did. Lets say the blocks were juts precast,and
the ties in the strong mortar made it fully reinforced.

Then I used a second skin of bricks.

The wall was in a curve anyay.

I don't see how you are going to transfer the lateral force into the
ground using bricks unless you like out of vertical walls.
Concrete would be safer and probably cheaper.

I used concrete blocks, faced with brck where visible..The soil is only
about 800mm deep.

Backfilled with hardcore around the base

The wall is essentially U shaped, so the top layer is somewhat in
tension. This keeps it vertical(enough).

If it had beem higher or straighter I would have run rods back into the
soil area and tied them to concrete as an anchor.