Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Long house selling chains

We're no. 7 in a chain of 9 buying / selling houses, and despite
months of nightmare emotional roller coaster it eventually looks as
though exchange of contracts will happen tomorrow, with completion on
the 29th.

With so many in the chain it looks as though the funds won't work
their way up the chain to us until (at least) late afternoon with the
possiblity / probability of not being able to move into the new place
that day.

Anyone exprience in this area that they care to share, lessons to be
learnt etc would be much appreciated. At the moment my contingency
consists of a packed suitcase in the car and a list of local hotels !

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
We're no. 7 in a chain of 9 buying / selling houses, and despite
months of nightmare emotional roller coaster it eventually looks as
though exchange of contracts will happen tomorrow, with completion on
the 29th.

With so many in the chain it looks as though the funds won't work
their way up the chain to us until (at least) late afternoon with the
possiblity / probability of not being able to move into the new place
that day.

Anyone exprience in this area that they care to share, lessons to be
learnt etc would be much appreciated. At the moment my contingency
consists of a packed suitcase in the car and a list of local hotels !

AWEM

Exchange of Contracts has to be simultaneous but completion dates can be
phased.

For instance: You move into your new house on Monday and your buyers move
into yours on a Tuesday.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Andrew

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 17:38:14 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

We're no. 7 in a chain of 9 buying / selling houses, and despite
months of nightmare emotional roller coaster it eventually looks as
though exchange of contracts will happen tomorrow, with completion on
the 29th.

You have my sympathy....
On our last move there were only 5 in the chain - and that was bad
enough.....

With so many in the chain it looks as though the funds won't work
their way up the chain to us until (at least) late afternoon with the
possiblity / probability of not being able to move into the new place
that day.

Anyone exprience in this area that they care to share, lessons to be
learnt etc would be much appreciated. At the moment my contingency
consists of a packed suitcase in the car and a list of local hotels !

We had a similar thing moving from the UK to Ireland.
The money was transferred from our purchaser's solicitor to our
solicitor and then on to out (Irish) vendor's solicitor.

A couple of hours earlier, our family, dogs, caravan etc had set off
for the Swansea ferry.... (trusting, or what ?)

We arrived in Ireland the next day - and turned up at our new home
about 11am. Had a quiet word with the vendor, and he allowed us into
the house - just a well, as the removal truck had to unpack asap in
order to catch the return ferry that evening.

Our vendor eventually got his money from the solicitor 6 weeks later!
- which is apparently quite normal in these circumstances...

Anyway - my advice is to contact your Vendor and 'come to an
arrangment'. Sounds like the whole chain is 'committed' anyway -
even though the solicitors will advise that no keys change hands until
everything is financially complete... but what the solicitors don't
know about - they won't worry about....

Good luck !

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
We're no. 7 in a chain of 9 buying / selling houses, and despite
months of nightmare emotional roller coaster it eventually looks as
though exchange of contracts will happen tomorrow, with completion on
the 29th.

There was me thinking it was going to be someone
asking about selling one of these:

http://www.nysm.nysed.gov/IroquoisVi...onghouselg.gif

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 19:12:17 +0100, Owain
wrote:

Andrew Mawson wrote:
At the moment my contingency
consists of a packed suitcase in the car and a list of local hotels !

And hopefully the removal company agreeing to all your worldly goods
sitting in their van overnight ...

Someone I know moved recently with a removal company that uses shipping
containers. They park the container outside your old house a few days
before you move, so you can fill it, and then you have it at the new
house for a few days afterwards to give you time to unpack it.

Owain

And if the house sale doesn't work right can you live in it for a
while?
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005...ing_contai.php

http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 4, 5:38 pm, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
We're no. 7 in a chain of 9 buying / selling houses, and despite
months of nightmare emotional roller coaster it eventually looks as
though exchange of contracts will happen tomorrow, with completion on
the 29th.

With so many in the chain it looks as though the funds won't work
their way up the chain to us until (at least) late afternoon with the
possiblity / probability of not being able to move into the new place
that day.

Anyone exprience in this area that they care to share, lessons to be
learnt etc would be much appreciated. At the moment my contingency
consists of a packed suitcase in the car and a list of local hotels !

You might be able to have your removers store your stuff for a day or
so at litrtle extra cost. You then spend a night or two in a hotel
near the house and use the opportunity to give the house a really good
clean and perhaps even redecorate it, replace carpets etc., before
moving the stuff in. I woudl consider doing this even if it was
forced on me. I

Alternatively; sometimes people will let you move stuff into the
garage before completion and before their stuff has left the house.

Robert

House selling III Pj Home Ownership 3 August 7th 07 07:15 PM
House selling II Pj Home Ownership 14 August 5th 07 01:44 PM
House selling Pj Home Ownership 4 July 31st 07 07:25 PM
Selling your house? DIY! Paul UK diy 9 April 20th 06 03:38 PM
Selling All My Tools - long Mike Woodworking 2 April 3rd 04 12:45 PM