Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another scumbag copying my site.

http://handyman365.net/index.htm

I suppose I should be flattered that this is the second company to steal my
copy word for word.........

Anything I can do?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 21:33:43 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

http://handyman365.net/index.htm

I suppose I should be flattered that this is the second company to steal my
copy word for word.........

Anything I can do?

Send a DMCA to google about them.
Fax them and their hosting a breach of copyright notice and send them
a bill per day for using your words.
Fill in the small claims court papers and send them a copy giving them
48 hours to cease and desist using your content else you'll serve
papers on them.

You can do something with style sheets/divs to stop your text being as
cut and pastey but they'll just save the page and rip it then (if
thats not what they're already doing) so prob not worth the effort.

http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 3, 9:33 pm, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
http://handyman365.net/index.htm

I suppose I should be flattered that this is the second company to steal my
copy word for word.........

Anything I can do?

--
Dave
The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Bustards!!!

Legally....can't help, sorry.

Advertising wise,

Promote yourself as the 'Original Medway Handyman' stating that you
are so good that people are hitching a ride on your coat tails /
reputation. As the 'Original and still the best' you can provide
years of practical experience and support this with references.
Reinforce the fact that you do not have to 'Copy people' etc etc

I am sure there must be some legal / copyright redress, but I am only
an Engineer so almost certainly wrong!!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
http://handyman365.net/index.htm

I suppose I should be flattered that this is the second company to steal
my copy word for word.........

I don't really see the similarity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OG wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...
http://handyman365.net/index.htm

I suppose I should be flattered that this is the second company to
steal my copy word for word.........

I don't really see the similarity.

Just one ecample;

My site;
Flat Pack Assembly is charged at our normal hourly rates, which makes us
extremely competitive.
You can keep the time & therefore cost down by making sure the boxes are in
the room where they are to be assembled, and that we have a clear area to
work in.
Flat pack furniture varies in quality enormously. If you want advice before
you purchase, please give us a call, we are not involved with any retailers
and can be unbiased.

The scumbags site;
Flat Pack Assembly is charged at our normal hourly rates, which makes us
extremely competitive.
You can save time & so Save Money by putting the boxes in the room where
they are to be built, and make sure that we have a clear area to work.
Flat pack furniture varies in quality enormously. If you want FREE ADVICE
before you purchase, please give us a call. (we’re not on a commission!)

Clear enough for you?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://handyman365.net/index.htm

I suppose I should be flattered that this is the second company to
steal my copy word for word.........

Anything I can do?

Send a DMCA to google about them.

Whats that?

Fax them and their hosting a breach of copyright notice and send them
a bill per day for using your words.

I've e-mailed them with a notice of legal action.

Fill in the small claims court papers and send them a copy giving them
48 hours to cease and desist using your content else you'll serve
papers on them.

Nice idea - thanks.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OG wrote:
[...]

to a certain value of 'word for word' I suppose; but I agree it's very
close.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
http://handyman365.net/index.htm

I suppose I should be flattered that this is the second company to steal
my copy word for word.........

Anything I can do?

Buy 20 cheap SIM cards and use them to book the scum in for fictitious jobs.

Kneecap them

Get a mate who has got the clap (find a mate with the clap if you do not
have one) and get him to sleep with scums daughter.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://handyman365.net/index.htm

I suppose I should be flattered that this is the second company to
steal my copy word for word.........

Anything I can do?

Send a DMCA to google about them.

Whats that?

Digital Millennium Copyright Act!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://handyman365.net/index.htm

I suppose I should be flattered that this is the second company to
steal my copy word for word.........

Anything I can do?

Send a DMCA to google about them.

Whats that?

Digital Millimum Copyright Act.

Though god knows what "sending one" means

Fax them and their hosting a breach of copyright notice and send them
a bill per day for using your words.

I've e-mailed them with a notice of legal action.

Fill in the small claims court papers and send them a copy giving them
48 hours to cease and desist using your content else you'll serve
papers on them.

Nice idea - thanks.

ISTM that the similarity is not sufficient for you to win
a case for compensation.

So the guy has used similar section headings as you, but
his list of things that he does is different. You work in a
small area (by which I mean the type of work that you do).
Anyone else working as a Handyman is going to have
the same list of things that he does, as you do. You can't
stop him from advertising this by copyrighting the format
of a web page.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:

ISTM that the similarity is not sufficient for you to win
a case for compensation.

So the guy has used similar section headings as you, but
his list of things that he does is different. You work in a
small area (by which I mean the type of work that you do).
Anyone else working as a Handyman is going to have
the same list of things that he does, as you do. You can't
stop him from advertising this by copyrighting the format
of a web page.

I appreciate that, but some of the wording is actually identical.

For example, my site;

"Ever wanted a PC workstation, but couldn't find one to fit that alcove?
Ever wanted a pergola for the garden but couldn't get the size you wanted?
Or shelving that was either too big or too small?"

The scumbags site;

"Ever wanted a PC workstation, but couldn't find one to fit that alcove?
Ever wanted a pergola for the garden but couldn't get the size you wanted?
Or shelving that was either too big or too small?"

Thats intellectual property theft in my book.

*******.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mogga wrote:

Send a DMCA to google about them.

Since the OP is not American, nor is the copyright infringer, nor is the
site in question hosted by Google, that would be a waste of time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Thats intellectual property theft in my book.

There's no such thing.

It may be an infringement of your copyright, but it's not theft.

Since this seems to be regular, you really need to consult a lawyer. You
can send them a notice to desist, you can dress it up all fancy, but if
they decide to stick two fingers up to you then you will need a lawyer
to pursue them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://handyman365.net/index.htm

I suppose I should be flattered that this is the second company to steal my
copy word for word.........

Anything I can do?

I have looked at both sites - I am unsure what they have "copied" -
can you give a bit more info.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Get a registered trademark.

Then, rather than your site having cut-and-paste-able text, your text
could be incorporated into an image that contains a pale background of
your logo/trademark - so the whole thing is a jpeg or gif image.

If your trademark is registered with companies house, you may then
have a straightforward case against rip-off merchants (i.e. by
stealing even part of your trademark, they suggest some association
with your business - so you can claim doing so could harm your
business)

Someone else may be able to give a proper explanation, but I believe
the law is clearer-cut in relation to a registered trademark
(otherwise it's only passing off, and more difficult to prove).

See http://www.ipo.gov.uk/ - there's a big feature right on the front
page as the law changed to improve trademark protection on Oct 1st.

Explanation of the protection a registered trade mark gives you he
http://www.ipo.gov.uk/protect/protec...benefit-tm.htm

(once the front page link disappers, see
http://www.ipo.gov.uk/press/press-re...e-20071001.htm
)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://handyman365.net/index.htm

I suppose I should be flattered that this is the second company to steal my
copy word for word.........

Anything I can do?

I have looked at both sites - I am unsure what they have "copied" -
can you give a bit more info.

Pick an activity (e.g. flat pack assembly). Then compare the text in
each case.
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://handyman365.net/index.htm

I suppose I should be flattered that this is the second company to
steal my copy word for word.........

Anything I can do?

Send a DMCA to google about them.

Whats that?

Digital Millimum Copyright Act.

Though god knows what "sending one" means

Google has some info on what info they want.

If they're copying your site word for word google might see one of
them as a duplicate and you need to make sure it's not yours.

http://www.google.com/dmca.html

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 00:22:08 +0100, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

Mogga wrote:

Send a DMCA to google about them.

Since the OP is not American, nor is the copyright infringer, nor is the
site in question hosted by Google, that would be a waste of time.

If google kills off the OP site because it thinks its a copy of the
new one then he's in google-trouble which needs sorting out.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Mogga wrote:

Send a DMCA to google about them.

Since the OP is not American, nor is the copyright infringer, nor is the
site in question hosted by Google, that would be a waste of time.

If google kills off the OP site because it thinks its a copy of the
new one then he's in google-trouble which needs sorting out.

Google has no cause to do so, as far as I can see. You're ignoring the
"not American" part above, and I suspect you haven't read Google's rules
about DMCA notices.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 21:33:43 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

http://handyman365.net/index.htm

I suppose I should be flattered that this is the second company to steal
my copy word for word.........

Anything I can do?

==================================
You could ignore him / them because you can't prevent legitimate
competition. His / their actual trading name is sufficiently different
from yours to obviate the possibility of confusing your customers,
potential or actual.

If you genuinely feel threatened you might contact your local Trading
Standards to ask them to query this item on your behalf:

"Handyman365.net carry out building repairs, maintenance & home
improvements using experienced local tradesmen. We have business and
domestic clients throughout North Kent."

The name with *365* highlighted suggests that he / they are on permanent
standby and *tradesmen* suggests a properly trained and qualified person -
several in this case. Both seem a little improbable, although not impossible.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-03, Mogga wrote:

Fill in the small claims court papers

All online now;

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

Works a treat.

==================================
But check the costs - they're not cheap anymore.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-03, Mogga wrote:

Fill in the small claims court papers

All online now;

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

Works a treat.

==================================
But check the costs - they're not cheap anymore.

You get the costs back from the other side, assuming you win.

(Where are the fees outlined? I cannot find them on the web site.)

===================================
I didn't check the web page for costs because I got them in a leaflet from
the court in the information pack they supply. However, I think you'll
find the information he

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/i...fees/index.htm

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
http://handyman365.net/index.htm

I suppose I should be flattered that this is the second company to steal
my copy word for word.........

Anything I can do?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Perhaps Trading Standards could advise.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:

[...]

I'm inclined to agree that the guy (I presume) has been a bit
of a **** in copying the words at this level. (Especially as,
without the necessary links for search engines, no-one
will find it unless they are already comitted to doing it)

And on that basis (that he's a ****), I doubt that he will
take much notice of any complaint.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

Mogga wrote:

Send a DMCA to google about them.

Since the OP is not American, nor is the copyright infringer, nor is the
site in question hosted by Google, that would be a waste of time.

If google kills off the OP site because it thinks its a copy of the

How can google kill off a site?

Do you mean "not provide any like to it"?

Problem solved, it doesn't find it anyway (probably
because the author is numpty and has no idea that
he needs to do things to make his site search engine
visable)

(I note that I can find Dave's site via google)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-03, Mogga wrote:

Fill in the small claims court papers

All online now;

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

A claim via the small claims track can only provide
a monetary remedy.

I think that this would take more of Dave's time in
pursuing than he would get back.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 12:29:05 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

news
wrote:

Mogga wrote:

Send a DMCA to google about them.

Since the OP is not American, nor is the copyright infringer, nor is the
site in question hosted by Google, that would be a waste of time.

If google kills off the OP site because it thinks its a copy of the

How can google kill off a site?

Do you mean "not provide any like to it"?

Yup in theory they can drop it from the index.
There are all sorts of problems that can happen from duplicate content
being scraped onto scraper sites which can then confuse google and
then the problems can really start.

Problem solved, it doesn't find it anyway (probably
because the author is numpty and has no idea that
he needs to do things to make his site search engine
visable)

But he might get cleverer.

(I note that I can find Dave's site via google)

tim

http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-03, Mogga wrote:

Fill in the small claims court papers

All online now;

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

A claim via the small claims track can only provide
a monetary remedy.

I think that this would take more of Dave's time in
pursuing than he would get back.

tim

Wouldn't he in any case have to prove a monetary loss?

A long term solution might be to rewrite the site with specific
references throughout such that copying it is no longer feasible. Not
quite "Laying Patios - At 16 Acacia Avenue...." but that sort of thing.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://handyman365.net/index.htm

I suppose I should be flattered that this is the second company to steal my
copy word for word.........

Anything I can do?

http://www.copyscape.com/
You can use this site to check for copy issues.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew May" wrote in message
On 2007-10-03, Mogga wrote:

Fill in the small claims court papers
All online now;

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

A claim via the small claims track can only provide
a monetary remedy.

I think that this would take more of Dave's time in
pursuing than he would get back.

tim

Wouldn't he in any case have to prove a monetary loss?

It's the value of his copy that has been used without
payment. A few tens of pounds.

AIUI a claim for passing off (or whatever) will fail in the small
claims track as it is not an something that would be handled
there.

A long term solution might be to rewrite the site with specific references
throughout such that copying it is no longer feasible. Not quite "Laying
Patios - At 16 Acacia Avenue...." but that sort of thing.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 4, 12:22 am, (Steve Firth) wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Thats intellectual property theft in my book.

There's no such thing.

It may be an infringement of your copyright, but it's not theft.

Since this seems to be regular, you really need to consult a lawyer. You
can send them a notice to desist, you can dress it up all fancy, but if
they decide to stick two fingers up to you then you will need a lawyer
to pursue them.

You'd be a fool to pursue it as far as getting litigious. What he
needs do is make sure the oaf is capable at what he is advertising.

If not then the OP needs to post a notice to that effect and that he
is not in any way associated with him or her.

That doesn't want to be on the front page. Even page two is a bit near
the mark. People start looking at stuff like that they get funny
ideas. What he wants is people to get the idea of picking up the phone
and hiring him. Never mind the competition.

And he doesn't need to advertise the other site's address or phone
number. At best it is advertising, at worst it offers a line of
enquiry into a price war.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
http://handyman365.net/index.htm

I suppose I should be flattered that this is the second company to steal my
copy word for word.........

Anything I can do?

I doubt that anyone looking at the two sites in their browser would
see any similarity whatsoever. What about all the bits he didn't copy?
The pricing structure is different, etc. A successful business is more
than just a few words on a website.

If you can't stand a bit of competition then you need to find another
niche.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
http://handyman365.net/index.htm

I suppose I should be flattered that this is the second company to steal my
copy word for word.........

Anything I can do?

I doubt that anyone looking at the two sites in their browser would
see any similarity whatsoever. What about all the bits he didn't copy?
The pricing structure is different, etc. A successful business is more
than just a few words on a website.

If you can't stand a bit of competition then you need to find another
niche.

MBQ

Be positive. Maybe the guy's good at things you're not, or has tools
that you don't. Maybe he doesn't speak English. Working together might
be beneficial to both parties.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 00:22:08 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Thats intellectual property theft in my book.

There's no such thing.

It may be an infringement of your copyright, but it's not theft.

Since this seems to be regular, you really need to consult a lawyer. You
can send them a notice to desist, you can dress it up all fancy, but if
they decide to stick two fingers up to you then you will need a lawyer
to pursue them.

.... you then have to decide if the loss to you is worth the candle.

You might not be losing much if any trade depending on where they are
located. Your 'honour' may well be smarting but only you can put a price
on that.

This happened to me about 10 years ago. I wrote some of (what is now) the
main FAQ on Central Heating, Valves and Heating.

The a local (to me) plumbing agency lifted it word for word onto their
site, along with the contributions from several other people who
frequently posted to uk.d-i-y.

The upshot was that whilst most of us felt ripped off to take matters
further was going to cost. Better to get on and do something useful...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
http://handyman365.net/index.htm

I suppose I should be flattered that this is the second company to steal
my copy word for word.........

Anything I can do?

You share an interesting idea about the use of commas before 'and'.
Otherwise, the grammar on their site is consistent and different from yours
and very little of the text is identical. That strongly suggests that it was
written from scratch, although that is not to say the writer might not have
been influenced by having read the sites of competitors like yourself.

It would be difficult not to create a site for a handyman business without
using virtually the same words every time. If you want to be different, you
need to be the one to undertake that task and come up with innovate text
that won't be the first thing that comes to mind when writing such a site.
If you don't want to do that, you will have to put up with the competition
saying much the same things as you do.

Colin Bignell