Jake

Default Using plasterboard to sound-insulate a ceiling

Does anyone know what the bulding regs require re ceiling
sound-insulation measures when converting a house into two flats (one
up and one down)? I recall they recommended fixing plasterboard to the
ceiling of the lower flat - but how many layers and of what thickness
is effective?

This looks like a difficult job. Can anyone offer any tips on how to
do it single-handed with as few problems as possible?

How about finishing? I am definitely not a proffessional plasterer, so
what is the most cost-effective way to get a neat finish with no joins
visible (and joins that won't produce cracks in the future?

In case I decide to chicken out of this job, how much would a pro
charge to do two rooms, each 3m x 5m (fixing up the plasterboard and
finishing - labour and materials)? (roughly)

Thank you....

Jake
Hugo Nebula

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:22:35 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named
(Jake) randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

Does anyone know what the bulding regs require re ceiling
sound-insulation measures when converting a house into two flats (one
up and one down)? I recall they recommended fixing plasterboard to the
ceiling of the lower flat - but how many layers and of what thickness
is effective?

It needs a lot more than plasterboard on its own. See
http://tinyurl.com/ohw8 for the Building Regulations requirements, and
http://www.british-gypsum.com/PDF/c60_053.pdf on ways to achieve them.

If you're converting, you will need a Building Regulations application
as it is a change of use. AFAIK it's also a COU under planning as
well.

There's other things to consider as well. You'll need to arrange for
testing of the sound insulation on completion. The means of escape
may be an issue, as will ventilation, insulation, etc.

This looks like a difficult job. Can anyone offer any tips on how to
do it single-handed with as few problems as possible?

Don't do it single handed if you're not sure of the requirements.
--
Hugo Nebula
"You know, I'd rather see this on TV,
Jake

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:00:48 +0100, Hugo Nebula Send-My-Spam-To:
abuse@localhost wrote:

[...]

Hello,
Thank you for the info on this subject. It looks incredibly
complicated. Last time I asked in my local planning dept, the said all
I had to do was affix a double layed of plasterboard tio the cieling
IIRC. But yes, I see they have changed the rules.

What happens with places that were converted before the 2003 regs came
into force? Do they all have to be changed now, to comply with the new
regs?

Thanks

Jake

Rewiring of 1 bed flat Fishter UK diy 10 August 11th 03 10:57 AM
ceiling fans NC UK diy 3 August 7th 03 09:08 PM
Fixing plasterboard straight onto a wall Chris Harris UK diy 3 July 10th 03 11:18 PM
Plasterboard thickness for ceilings James W UK diy 14 July 5th 03 08:34 PM
Fixing to plasterboard ceiling BigWallop UK diy 1 July 4th 03 09:21 AM