Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to fix strimmer spool holder onto shaft?

I have a Bosch electric strimmer. The 'spool holder' (i.e. the
round plastic contrivance that the spool clips onto) has taken to
slipping off the splined metal motor shaft.

As designed it's just a push fit on the shaft and, presumably, many
years use means that it has become a bit looser and now it isn't quite
tight enough to stay on.

So, how can I fix it? There is no requirement at all for it to be
removable so some sort of glue would seem to be the way to go but what
would be most suitable? I assume it's a polypropylene (or similar)
plastic moulding and the shaft is steel. I *could* put something in
to wedge it tighter I guess but that seems more of a bodge than
sticking it and there's a much greater risk of it not being dead
straight.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
wrote:
I have a Bosch electric strimmer. The 'spool holder' (i.e. the
round plastic contrivance that the spool clips onto) has taken to
slipping off the splined metal motor shaft.

As designed it's just a push fit on the shaft and, presumably, many
years use means that it has become a bit looser and now it isn't quite
tight enough to stay on.

So, how can I fix it? There is no requirement at all for it to be
removable so some sort of glue would seem to be the way to go but what
would be most suitable? I assume it's a polypropylene (or similar)
plastic moulding and the shaft is steel. I *could* put something in
to wedge it tighter I guess but that seems more of a bodge than
sticking it and there's a much greater risk of it not being dead
straight.

I'd try an impact adhesive.

... but presumably not using its 'impact adhesive' properties because
I've got to be able to slide the spool holder onto the spline.

The other issue with using that sort of adhesive is that it'll
probably take a very long time to harden/stick because there is
virtually no access for air to the joint once the spool holder is
pressed onto the spline.

I would put the glue on one surface, marry them up, rotate, separate,
and push them back together when touch dry. There's always the risk
that the adhesive will create too tight a fit, but a hammer and a block
of wood should sort that out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
wrote:
[...]

That's a possible approach I suppose. The 'rotate' bit won't be
possible with the spool right on the shaft, remember this is a
splined shaft, but I guess you're suggesting just turning it while
it's not tight on the spline to get the glue spread around a bit.
I don't fancy hitting it very hard either, that will be banging on
the motor bearings though I suppose they must be fairly robust as
it's the type of strimmer where you bang on the middle of the spool
to get more line out.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-02 21:44:57 +0100, said:

Andy Hall wrote:

Why not just buy a new plastic component?

Because you can't! Many other parts are available but the actual
spool holder part that pushes onto the shaft isn't available.

In that case, thoroughly roughen motor spindle and a resin adhesive with
particles.

JB Weld two part epoxy sounds like a good bet then

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |