Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing Rising Main?

On Oct 6, 1:12 am, "clot" wrote:
"None" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Oct 5, 5:43 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Oct 5, 12:08 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Oct 4, 1:52 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Sep 29, 5:33 pm, None wrote:
On Sep 29, 5:11 pm, wrote:

On 29 Sep,
wrote:

I would have a go at chlorine disinfection first. It is
supposed to be done on new installations, but seems to be
rarely done. I'd try taking off the internal stopcock, and
trying to feed a small plastic pipe (as used for syphoning
beer -- but longer) through the main as far as the outside
stopcock and using a funnel to fill the pipe with
chlorinated
water. There are guidelines on how long and what strength
solution to use, I think it is 100 ppm but ICBW, it's on the
web somewhere.

Found some details, it's in BS6700 if you can find it.

http://iphe.org.uk/databyte/disinfection.pdf

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Thanks for that mate, I dunno, looks like a tricky thing to
get
done. The difficult part is getting the water out of the pipe
before I start, as well as finding a suitable pipe to insert.

Hey clot, hope youre around... would there be any good
indications
on the street that the house is located on a balance point? I
would have thought that it would depend on water demand, so at
some points in the day the water could be 'balancing' outside
one
part of the street, and at other times when the demand becomes
greater on another part of the road, it changes again?

You're right. It does slosh about depending on demand. The best
indicator is the chlorine content; i.e. the lower the
concentration, the older the water and hence indicates the
likely
balance point.

Its just that with our chlorine so low, surely this affects a
fair
bit of our area and not just one or two houses? There are about
20
houses on my side of the road, and another 15 or so on the
other...
we're part of a large housing area with the same water supply
source. I can't imagine that if our chlorine is generally so low,
that other houses have a much better level, and they dont seem to
have the problems we do. I did disinfect the attic tank and hot
tank with a bit of domestos (no worry, I flushed very well
afterwards!) and the amount of algae that came out of
particularly
the hot tap after was very disturbing. I would need to do it
again
thoroughly to see how much more I can purge, but its difficult to
find a good time to do this.

Yes, the low chlorine would affect others in the street. However,
from what you have just said, there appears to be a fungal/
bacterial film growing in your system that will soak up the
chlorine. It shouldn't be algae, by the way. They need sunlight to
grow. I really am puzzled as to why you are so inflicted.

From what you've said, another thorough cleaning/ flushing of the
tanks will help. However, that will not affect the quality of cold
water in the taps, assuming that they are all direct off the
service
pipe.

I had certainly thought that the chlorine could be being soaked
up....
you can smell the chlorine a bit more late at night I have noticed.
Not sure why that is. Do you have any idea what could be used to
'air
flush' our service pipe? A compressor perhaps? It really is a
difficult thing to find time for, and tough to get people to do it.

I'm sorry I don't. I just knew that it was one technique myformer
employer used to clear out mains and service pipes. I've not googled.
I'm off to an Annual Dinner this evening of water folk. I'll try to
remember to ask someone!

Thanks clot, have a good one.

Hi None, I did remember. However, the folk that I happened to be sat
with at the dinner were all wastewater types. I spied the guy I needed
to talk to re air scouring but by the time the formal part of the
evening finished, he escaped!

I'll try to ask some former colleagues by e-mail.

Thanks anyway clot, I am also going to try get a hold of my uncle
today and explain this wretched problem. Let me know if you find
anything out from your colleagues, would be a huge help. @ Pete C, I
dont have a garden hose installed, just an outside washing machine.
The problem definitely comes from the service pipe, as the sliminess
and slight discolouration is at the kitchen tap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 6, 10:48 am, None wrote:
On Oct 6, 1:12 am, "clot" wrote:

"None" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Oct 5, 5:43 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Oct 5, 12:08 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Oct 4, 1:52 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Sep 29, 5:33 pm, None wrote:
On Sep 29, 5:11 pm, wrote:

On 29 Sep,
wrote:

[...]

From what you've said, another thorough cleaning/ flushing of the
[...]

Clot my man.... anything to report?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 8, 4:58 pm, None wrote:
On Oct 6, 10:48 am, None wrote:

On Oct 6, 1:12 am, "clot" wrote:

"None" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Oct 5, 5:43 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Oct 5, 12:08 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Oct 4, 1:52 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Sep 29, 5:33 pm, None wrote:
On Sep 29, 5:11 pm, wrote:

On 29 Sep,
wrote:

[...]

From what you've said, another thorough cleaning/ flushing of the
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

None wrote:
On Oct 8, 4:58 pm, None wrote:
On Oct 6, 10:48 am, None wrote:

On Oct 6, 1:12 am, "clot" wrote:

"None" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Oct 5, 5:43 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Oct 5, 12:08 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Oct 4, 1:52 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Sep 29, 5:33 pm, None wrote:
On Sep 29, 5:11 pm, wrote:

On 29 Sep,
wrote:

[...]

From what you've said, another thorough cleaning/ flushing of
the tanks will help. However, that will not affect the quality
[...]

Yes, but not good I think. I've spoken to someone who used to be
involved in mains and services maintenance. He advised me that the
minimum size that they used to air scour in his time was either 2.5 or 3
inch, so yes would get involved in cleaning services to the likes of
factories, hospitals or large block of flats, etc. So, not sounding good
for a service pipe to a single dwelling. I've yet to have a comment
from anyone working on distribution systems today.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 9, 11:13 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Oct 8, 4:58 pm, None wrote:
On Oct 6, 10:48 am, None wrote:

On Oct 6, 1:12 am, "clot" wrote:

"None" wrote in message

legroups.com...

On Oct 5, 5:43 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Oct 5, 12:08 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Oct 4, 1:52 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Sep 29, 5:33 pm, None wrote:
On Sep 29, 5:11 pm, wrote:

On 29 Sep,
wrote:

[...]

From what you've said, another thorough cleaning/ flushing of
[...]

Hi clot... yeah i didnt figure much luck would be had. I have had (yet
another) idea about what the problem could be related to. The black
particle stuff is constantly in the water, and it builds up in the
attic tank. I have had no idea what this could be, but could it be
mold? Even the most thoroughly washed towels have a 'moldy' mildew
smell.

The bigger particles of this stuff I have seen make it look like they
have been broken off a very large growth indeed. The stuff is quite
powdery also. It sounds very unlikely, as there would need to be a
leak somewhere presumably, but apparently it is quite possible to
happen if water stagnates.

I'm just going to have to fork out to replace the entire service pipe.
I cant deal with this any longer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

None wrote:
On Oct 9, 11:13 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Oct 8, 4:58 pm, None wrote:
On Oct 6, 10:48 am, None wrote:

On Oct 6, 1:12 am, "clot" wrote:

"None" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Oct 5, 5:43 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Oct 5, 12:08 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Oct 4, 1:52 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Sep 29, 5:33 pm, None wrote:
On Sep 29, 5:11 pm, wrote:

A large snip

Hi clot... yeah i didnt figure much luck would be had. I have had (yet
another) idea about what the problem could be related to. The black
particle stuff is constantly in the water, and it builds up in the
attic tank. I have had no idea what this could be, but could it be
mold? Even the most thoroughly washed towels have a 'moldy' mildew
smell.

The bigger particles of this stuff I have seen make it look like they
have been broken off a very large growth indeed. The stuff is quite
powdery also. It sounds very unlikely, as there would need to be a
leak somewhere presumably, but apparently it is quite possible to
happen if water stagnates.

I'm just going to have to fork out to replace the entire service pipe.
I cant deal with this any longer.

I'm sorry to hear that but can well imagine the annoyance. I was at an
Institute meeting this evening where I spied just the right guy but he
slipped through my fingers before I could buttonhole him - sorry. Just a
thought have you looked at the service pipe from your stop tap either in
the street or in the house? Is it the same material as a neighbour's?
Could be that there was a shortage at the time of installation or a
cheap "cowboy" fit?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

None wrote:
On Oct 9, 11:13 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Oct 8, 4:58 pm, None wrote:
On Oct 6, 10:48 am, None wrote:

On Oct 6, 1:12 am, "clot" wrote:

"None" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Oct 5, 5:43 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Oct 5, 12:08 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Oct 4, 1:52 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Sep 29, 5:33 pm, None wrote:
On Sep 29, 5:11 pm, wrote:

On 29 Sep,
wrote:

I'm just going to have to fork out to replace the entire service pipe.
I cant deal with this any longer.

I should have suggested going over The Pond. Good luck. I'll watch the
reponses with interest, but refrain from tainting the conversation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 11, 12:17 am, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Oct 9, 11:13 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Oct 8, 4:58 pm, None wrote:
On Oct 6, 10:48 am, None wrote:

On Oct 6, 1:12 am, "clot" wrote:

"None" wrote in message

oglegroups.com...

On Oct 5, 5:43 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Oct 5, 12:08 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Oct 4, 1:52 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Sep 29, 5:33 pm, None wrote:
On Sep 29, 5:11 pm, wrote:

On 29 Sep,
wrote:

I'm just going to have to fork out to replace the entire service pipe.
I cant deal with this any longer.

I should have suggested going over The Pond. Good luck. I'll watch the
reponses with interest, but refrain from tainting the conversation.

Eh?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

None wrote:
On Oct 11, 12:17 am, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Oct 9, 11:13 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Oct 8, 4:58 pm, None wrote:
On Oct 6, 10:48 am, None wrote:

On Oct 6, 1:12 am, "clot" wrote:

"None" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Oct 5, 5:43 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Oct 5, 12:08 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Oct 4, 1:52 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On Sep 29, 5:33 pm, None wrote:
On Sep 29, 5:11 pm, wrote:

On 29 Sep,
wrote:

I'm just going to have to fork out to replace the entire service
pipe. I cant deal with this any longer.

I should have suggested going over The Pond. Good luck. I'll watch
the reponses with interest, but refrain from tainting the
conversation.

Eh?

Your post on alt.home.repair!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm just going to have to fork out to replace the entire service pipe.
I cant deal with this any longer.

I'm sorry to hear that but can well imagine the annoyance. I was at an
Institute meeting this evening where I spied just the right guy but he
slipped through my fingers before I could buttonhole him - sorry. Just a
thought have you looked at the service pipe from your stop tap either in
the street or in the house? Is it the same material as a neighbour's?
Could be that there was a shortage at the time of installation or a
cheap "cowboy" fit?

Hello None. I know nothing about water pipes but cant resist poking my
nose in here

You are thinking of replacing the pipe with no confidence that it will
actually solve the problem, so before you do that would it be a good
idea to get the name of 'the right guy' from Clot and pay him some
money to come to your house as a consultant? It might prove to be a
significant saving in the end

Anna

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 12, 12:04 pm, (Anna Kettle) wrote:
[...]

Hi Anna,

Well, I live in Ireland, and Clot lives in England. Anybody he knows
is not going to cross the Irish Sea, so Im out of luck there Im
afraid. With that said, I got the local council to flush out the
street main again, and the black stuff is gone from the supply, so the
majority of the problem could well still be on their side. I am just
going to have to aggressively ask them to scour the main as much as
possible. The water is constantly improving though with these
flushings, I just wish it could stay clear for longer than a week. The
slime problem is there all the time, but much less right now. Maybe a
really thorough scouring could clear it properly...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 13, 2:14 am, None wrote:
[...]

Clot, if you're around....

Basically, we had the mains flushed last thursday. Water seemed much
cleaner, black stuff gone etc. Now, it is horrendous again, basically
colours your skin yellow. Truly awful.

I think I have finally worked it out though... We are the fourth house
as you enter the road, and are supplied by a nine inch iron main that
services a long stretch of houses on the adjacent main road. The water
is fed in two directions on my road. The water is much better for the
houses right as you enter the road, as they are pretty much
exclusively serviced by this water. For my house and the one with the
stopcock right next to it, it is poor. We are on an uphill slope,
which levels off two houses up. The water pressure would be greater
from that side, as the downward force exerts more power behind it.

This means that the water from our side never really gains quite
enough pressure to go much beyond my house, and the supplies are
basically always balancing outside my house, as you suggested.We have
no chlorine, which is puzzling. The bacterial and sediment buildup
could be a byproduct of this. I mean, when you wash your hands now,
they turn yellow!

Also, flushing doesn't do a great deal in the end for us... the
hydrant is located a good few houses up the road, where even when they
flush it, it only has benefit for the more powerful flowing part, and
our side is not cleared properly, if at all.
This is very distressing to be honest, we have put a lot of work into
the house, but the water is just too unbearable, and this is coming
from someone who never even thought about water quality before this
situation took hold....

Such stupid water design.... unbelievable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 17, 1:46 pm, None wrote:

[...]

Oi Clot my son! Come into the arena..............

Posted to uk.d-i-y

None wrote:
On Oct 17, 1:46 pm, None wrote:
On Oct 13, 2:14 am, None wrote:

[...]

Sorry, None. I've been rather busy of late.

Right so it did improve considerably with flushing - only a temporary
respite, though. Was the flushed water from the hydrant foul? I think
you are probably right in thinking that you are right on a balance point
on the system. Are you saying that your neighbour has problems? Does
next door have the same symptoms?

I'm puzzled as to why your hands are discoloured when bathing in the
water. Not sure what's causing that but could it be iron? Is the main in
the street cast iron. The Water Dept. will know (at least I'd be
surprised if they didn't). Do you know whether the whole area could be
fed off one leg rather than two ways? Would the water department play
ball by revalving? Do they now accept that you have an issue? Cast iron
mains are known problems with some waters. In parts of the UK there were
discolouration issues with CI mains which in many cases were resolved by
relining the mains. It is possible that you have two issues: the nature
and condition of the main and also that as a result of being on a
balance point you a receiving "old water" with depleted chlorine
concentration that is allowing fungal/ bacterial growth in both the main
and your service pipe.

Would your neighbour back you up? May be the Environmental Health Dept.
would look into your problem, thereby putting more pressure on the Water
Dept?

Just thoughts rather than a solution, I'm afraid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 17, 1:46 pm, None wrote:
[...]

Hi,

I'd look into putting a tee and tap, then a non return valve as soon
after the main stopcock as possible.

If the water from this tap is fine, the problem is in your property
somewhere.

It sounds like there is a dead leg/parallel path somewhere where the
water is going stale and algae is forming.

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Oct, 22:47, Pete C wrote:
On Oct 17, 1:46 pm, None wrote:

[...]

Hi clot,

Been away for a while, so I didnt see your message until now. Just to
address a couple of things you asked; I'm going to reiterate some
things I said earlier here, but try to make it sound more like sense!
Firstly, we are fed from one side by a very long 9 inch iron main on
the adjacent main road which carries water right from the source I
think. I am the fourth house on one side of our road. The street is
fed in two directions, as I was told. The problem, in my opinion, is
that we are located on a steep uphill slant, which levels off a couple
of houses up from us. The pressure from our side would then be unable
to really 'compete' with the other side, which travels faster due to
the downhill force.

The pressure in my house is only about 1 bar during the day, and maybe
up to 1.5 bar late at night. So that doesn't help. The problem as I
see it, is that all the sediment and dirt builds up in the pipe
outside my house, at a fairly set 'balance' point. There is nowhere
for this sediment (which eventually becomes bacterial) to go, as the
water doesn't flow through the road, but stays in the pipe, eventually
finding its way into my service pipe and attic tank etc. Any breaks in
the pipes before the water reaches my road affect us because we end up
with all the sediment deposits.

I hope this makes a modicum of sense. The water depot dont give a
monkeys. They are pig ignorant unfortunately, and cant appreciate the
folly of feeding such a lopsided road in two directions. There have
been times when the pipe has been flushed by the depot, and the water
is absolutely perfect (though still lacking a trace of a chlorine
smell, but it tastes lovely), and times when they cant be bothered
doing it professionally. What I really object to is the black/brown
particles. I took a clump of it out of the attic tank and while it
could be soil, it could also be algae dust.

What do you mean by revalving by the way? To feed the road from the
one direction?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 7, 3:26 pm, None wrote:
What do you mean by revalving by the way? To feed the road from the
one direction?

I meant add a tap just after your meter and stopcock, then a non
return valve after that.

If bad water comes out of that tap, then it _proves_ the supply is
bad. I would then take it up with the regulating body for your local
water company.

You could also add a 'Y' strainer as well, if it soon fills with crud
it would also prove the supply is bad.

cheers,
Pete,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Nov, 17:56, Pete C wrote:
On Nov 7, 3:26 pm, None wrote:

What do you mean by revalving by the way? To feed the road from the
one direction?

I meant add a tap just after your meter and stopcock, then a non
return valve after that.

If bad water comes out of that tap, then it _proves_ the supply is
bad. I would then take it up with the regulating body for your local
water company.

You could also add a 'Y' strainer as well, if it soon fills with crud
it would also prove the supply is bad.

cheers,
Pete,

Thanks Pete. Its just that it has been so long now, and I have seen so
much ill-looking tripe from the mains, that I am already certain that
the problem is from there. A few years back, I had a sediment filter
installed right after the stopcock, and it turned brown very quickly.
It is simply poor infrastructural work by the local body.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No problem, though you also said:

"The black
particle stuff is constantly in the water, and it builds up in the
attic tank. I have had no idea what this could be, but could it be
mold? Even the most thoroughly washed towels have a 'moldy' mildew
smell."

The brown stuff in the filter is most likely rust if you're fed from a
cast iron main.

I expect your problem *IS* somewhere *AFTER* the stopcock.

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 7, 9:21 pm, Pete C wrote:
On Nov 7, 6:08 pm, None wrote:

[...]

Yes, but all the brown sediment etc that builds up in the attic tank
does come from the mains, because you will see the particles every now
and then when you pour yourself a glass. I have never seen this in
another water supply, there should not be this issue. There should be
nothing in there, unless warnings are issued, which is the norm in
most areas.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 8, 12:26 am, None wrote:

Yes, but all the brown sediment etc that builds up in the attic tank
does come from the mains, because you will see the particles every now
and then when you pour yourself a glass. I have never seen this in
another water supply, there should not be this issue. There should be
nothing in there, unless warnings are issued, which is the norm in
most areas.

I think you have 2 options:

A. Do something to _prove_ beyond doubt that the water from the
_stopcock_ itself is tainted.

B. Just live with it.

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Nov, 09:57, Pete C wrote:
On Nov 8, 12:26 am, None wrote:

Yes, but all the brown sediment etc that builds up in the attic tank
does come from the mains, because you will see the particles every now
and then when you pour yourself a glass. I have never seen this in
another water supply, there should not be this issue. There should be
nothing in there, unless warnings are issued, which is the norm in
most areas.

I think you have 2 options:

A. Do something to _prove_ beyond doubt that the water from the
_stopcock_ itself is tainted.

B. Just live with it.

cheers,
Pete.

The water guidelines arent strict here, apparently coliforms can be
present, as long as they dont exceed a limit. The sediment and dirt we
have is basically a breeding ground for all that stuff. I will get a
full bacteriological test done independently, but the water supplier
already did a test back in June, and although they would not send me
out the results, they told me the water was 'fine.'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Nov, 14:35, None wrote:
On 8 Nov, 09:57, Pete C wrote:

On Nov 8, 12:26 am, None wrote:

[...]

I think I have found the problem... tuberculation of the iron piping.
All the brownish black stuff that we get is sloughed off these
tuberculation deposits, and it also causes biofilm, which is at its
worst in the summertime. This is exactly what is happening here to us.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Nov, 15:56, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On 8 Nov, 19:25, None wrote:
On 8 Nov, 14:35, None wrote:

On 8 Nov, 09:57, Pete C wrote:

On Nov 8, 12:26 am, None wrote:

[...]

Any thoughts on my last six-ish posts? Particularly the long one on
7th of Nov, 15:26, to be precise, lol.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

None wrote:
On 22 Oct, 22:47, Pete C wrote:
On Oct 17, 1:46 pm, None wrote:

[...]

It would appear that the main issue is a cast iron main that needs
lining. The black particles are most probably iron based tough it could
be fro some lining that is detaching from the main. The slime aspect is
probably a bacterial film that develops in the main and quite posssibly
in your pipework as well.

For a "permanent" fix relining would seem to be the way to go. However,
somehow you are going to have to persuade the water dept of the need!
Hence why I asked about your neighbour's experience. Pressure of numbers
would help! How about approaching the Environmental Health inspectors?

Re zoning/ valving might be of some help but the only solution I suspect
is relining of the main.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 12, 5:54 pm, "clot" wrote:
None wrote:
On 22 Oct, 22:47, Pete C wrote:
On Oct 17, 1:46 pm, None wrote:

[...]

Considering how difficult it is to get the water department to even
flush the mains (I rang them three times last week, they still havent
come to do it), I don't have a chance of convincing them to line a big
long pipe. They are doing this in multiple areas though,
'rehabilitating' the mains as they put it. My area is too far out of
their target areas though.

What is still nagging at me though is that when I flush out water late
at night, the next few days the quality has improved. I wish there
were some way to properly check once and for all if the problem, at
least partially, lies in the service pipe. I will get a hold of the
neighbours over the next few days, I just haven't known how to
approach them about it. I mean when I tell friends about the problem,
they look at me as if I've sprouted a third ear!

Rising main...or not? Ben UK diy 9 March 2nd 07 07:07 PM
Replacing main ground rods [email protected] Home Repair 11 November 28th 06 11:28 PM
Air Lock in cold 'rising main' Mark Carver UK diy 3 May 5th 06 01:03 PM
Moving a rising main that's under a suspended concrete floor Mitch UK diy 2 August 8th 04 01:44 PM
Rising Main Water Pressure Vortex UK diy 16 May 12th 04 01:47 PM