Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Outdoor boiler

Anyone have any experience of the Grant outdoor boiler. I am thinking
of putting one in my latest project.

http://www.grantuk.com/outdoor_more.htm

Martin
--
Martin Carroll
Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Martin

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 19:55:38 +0100, Martin Carroll
wrote:

Anyone have any experience of the Grant outdoor boiler. I am thinking
of putting one in my latest project.

http://www.grantuk.com/outdoor_more.htm

No experience of this particular make - but the fitting of oil boilers
'outside' is common practice out here in Ireland - I'd say that most
new builds here are done this way.

Not sure just why this is done - I guess it saves a little space
inside the house, and the flue arrangements are much simpler...
also easy to service, I suppose...

Ours was a Heatpac - looks very similar to the one in your link.

Now replaced by a ground source heat-pump system - which lives in the
glass studio - about 10 ft away from the house itself.....

Regards
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
news ....

Ours was a Heatpac - looks very similar to the one in your link.

Now replaced by a ground source heat-pump system - which lives in the
glass studio - about 10 ft away from the house itself.....

I'd like to know more about the heat pump, please.

You can mail me if you prefer.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Mary

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 21:14:26 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message
news ...

Ours was a Heatpac - looks very similar to the one in your link.

Now replaced by a ground source heat-pump system - which lives in the
glass studio - about 10 ft away from the house itself.....

I'd like to know more about the heat pump, please.

What do you want to know ?

It's a German unit (be nice once they've translated the instructions
into 'real' English)

Consists of a couple of big blue units - one is the heatstore, 'tother
is the heat pump. Connects to about 600 metres of heavy plastic pipe
that's buried a minimum of 3ft deep under art of the garden and the
polytunnel..

In operation, it sucks heat out of the ground, and puts it into the
central heating radiators or the hot water tank.

The original system was run by an oil-fired boiler - and had the
cheapest, nastiest hot water tank you could buy. The heat exchanger
oil in this nasty tank is so small that the heat pump can't dump heat
into it efficiently - so we're in the process of installing a much
better / larger hot water tank with a much better heat exchanger -
which will allow the hot water to heat much faster.

At the moment the pump is running with half the collector pipework
turned 'off' - because of these limitations with the hot water
cylinder. Once we've sorted the cylinder then we can run it at
full-throttle - which will be much better!

Can't comment on the effectiveness of the heating or the overall
economy as we've not really had it running long enough...

Hope this helps ?
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Carroll" wrote in message
news
Anyone have any experience of the Grant outdoor boiler. I am thinking
of putting one in my latest project.

http://www.grantuk.com/outdoor_more.htm

Martin
--
Martin Carroll

I wish you could get gas ones - I have just the space for one down the side
of the house and it would free up space inside.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

"Martin Carroll" wrote in message
news
Anyone have any experience of the Grant outdoor boiler. I am thinking
of putting one in my latest project.

http://www.grantuk.com/outdoor_more.htm

I wish you could get gas ones - I have just the space for one down the
side of the house and it would free up space inside.

Eldon http://www.eldon.com/uk do external electrical cabinets which can
easily take a boiler. They are not insulated AFAIK, but worth asking them.
The holes will have to be cut out by the installer. I recall one fitted, but
foam insulation was cut and fitted inside the cabinet and its doors by the
fitter; a simple job. If I recall correctly one of these cabinets will be
around £300. Best to check with Eldon. This will add £300 and about 1.5
hours work to fit inc insulation. £300 may be cheap if the space is really
needed, installation is difficult or if a kitchen or parts of the house has
to be ripped apart to fit a boiler.

Most boilers do have integral frost protection, but check. Most don't need
ventilation so no air vents needed. Make sure the flue is fitted correctly
and not too close to the wall. Most makers will allow a horizontal exit flue
to be 25 -100mm from a wall, but check with makers. This means that the
flue will come out of the side of the cabinet. The best position to prevent
water ingress.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
Hi Mary

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 21:14:26 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message
news ...

Ours was a Heatpac - looks very similar to the one in your link.

Now replaced by a ground source heat-pump system - which lives in the
glass studio - about 10 ft away from the house itself.....

I'd like to know more about the heat pump, please.

What do you want to know ?

It's a German unit (be nice once they've translated the instructions
into 'real' English)

Consists of a couple of big blue units - one is the heatstore, 'tother
is the heat pump. Connects to about 600 metres of heavy plastic pipe
that's buried a minimum of 3ft deep under art of the garden and the
polytunnel..

What size in kW?