Wes

Default Does anybody have an outdoor kerosene boiler?

Yes,I'm hoping to know if anybody has their heating based on kerosene
burner installed outdoors?
I believe we have a problem with exhaust fumes getting somehow inside
the house . The exhaust pipe from the burner is only two metres(maybe
even less) or so from the outer wall of our bedroom.I've tried to find
some regulations or directions on the installing but can't seem to
find any. It is not our house so I must be a little shy about it . I
don't want get booted from the house :-)
Cheers,Wes
John Stumbles

Wes wrote:
Yes,I'm hoping to know if anybody has their heating based on kerosene
burner installed outdoors?
I believe we have a problem with exhaust fumes getting somehow inside
the house . The exhaust pipe from the burner is only two metres(maybe
even less) or so from the outer wall of our bedroom.I've tried to find
some regulations or directions on the installing but can't seem to
find any. It is not our house so I must be a little shy about it . I
don't want get booted from the house :-)
Cheers,Wes

Building Regulations: Part I (letter I not number 1) covers combustion
appliances. (Google "Approved Document odpm" should find a copy.)

Section 4 covers oil-burning appliances (I assume by 'kerosene' you mean
oil). diagram 4.2 shows permitted locations of flues relative to
building openings.

If the boiler has a fan going when it's running it's probably a
pressure-jet burner type. Distance N would seem to apply, but note these
are only guidance:

4.6 The outlet from a flue should be so situated externally as to
ensu the correct operation of a natural draught flue; the intake of
air if a balanced flue; and ensure dispersal of the products of combustion.

4.7 A way of meeting the requirement could be to follow the guidance in
Diagram 4.2. The separations given in the Table to Diagram 4.2 are
minimum values that may have to be increased where there is a risk that
local factors such as wind patterns could disrupt the operation of the
flue or where a natural draught flue would not be tall enough to clear
the products of combustion of an open-flued appliance.

- so if products of combustion are entering the building then the
installation is not OK whatever the distances are.

BS5440 (can't remember if it's part 1 or 2 that covers flues) is
actually the canonical reference; unfortunately BSes cost £££ and most
libraries don't have them, but the Building Regulations seem to be
derived from them (pretty much a cut & paste job :-). Anyway it's the
Approved Docs (aka Building Regs) which your friendly local Building
Control Officer (and Environmental Health Officer I guess) will refer to.
John

"Wes" wrote in message
om...
Yes,I'm hoping to know if anybody has their heating based on kerosene
burner installed outdoors?

Mine is indoors but I service a number of outdoor units with their own
weatherproof casings (dog kennels g)

I believe we have a problem with exhaust fumes getting somehow inside
the house . The exhaust pipe from the burner is only two metres(maybe
even less) or so from the outer wall of our bedroom.I've tried to find
some regulations or directions on the installing but can't seem to
find any. It is not our house so I must be a little shy about it . I
don't want get booted from the house :-)
Cheers,Wes

Its very unlikely that fumes could penetrate brickwork so unless you have an
opening window or a ventilator within a metre or so of the flue termination
you won't have such a problem. Your brickwork would have to be practically
falling apart for penetration. If the problem is down to a ventilator or
window being too close the flue/boiler or the ventilator/window may have to
be moved.
What is the root of your suspicion that you have fumes getting into the
room?

G&M

"Wes" wrote in message
om...
Yes,I'm hoping to know if anybody has their heating based on kerosene
burner installed outdoors?

Grant do one. It's their boilerhouse model in a weatherproof box.

Wes

Thank you both for your nice answers. My root of suspicion...is he
I get severe headaches being in the room and it smells like
unventilated car garage. It is a sort of leady smell. And,seriously
:-), it can't be odours from human being,we don't sleep in that room.
Also the issue seems to be at it's worst when the boiler is on .From
that ,little by little,the smell goes away but never completely . Only
to be back when boiler activates again.
The room doesn't feel too moist and I really don't think the oily
smell could be from mold .
It's,of course,easy to suspect/suggest that it's just me goin mental
and givin' way for my imagination
but the smell isn't fiction . What causes it? I'm not sure.

"John" wrote in message ...
"Wes" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Owain

"Wes" wrote
| Thank you both for your nice answers. My root of suspicion...is he
| I get severe headaches being in the room and it smells like
| unventilated car garage.

1. Get a carbon monoxide (CO) alarm URGENTLY - they are in diy sheds and
even many supermarkets now, for about £30. You want the ones with a siren
that will wake you up, not the little patches that merely provide additional
evidence to the pathologist.

2. See your doctor ASAP - you can get a blood test for CO poisoning.

Owain

Aiden

snip
I get severe headaches being in the room and it smells like
unventilated car garage. It is a sort of leady smell. And,seriously
:-), it can't be odours from human being,we don't sleep in that room.
Also the issue seems to be at it's worst when the boiler is on .From
that ,little by little,the smell goes away but never completely . Only
to be back when boiler activates again.

snip

Perhaps a "carbon monoxide" detector/alarm should be an early
acquisition, whilst you trace the problem.
nick smith

This almost certainly CO poisoning - a friend got it from his faulty flue - cut
yourself and see what colour your blood is !! Quickly !!

Switch off the suspect device and turn on an electric heater.

Let us know whether it was CO poisoning !!

Nick

John

"nick smith" wrote in message
This almost certainly CO poisoning - a friend got it from his faulty
flue - cut
yourself and see what colour your blood is !! Quickly !!

Switch off the suspect device and turn on an electric heater.

Let us know whether it was CO poisoning !!

Nick

Since modern or even "fairly old" pressure jet oil boilers are very
difficult to persuade to produce more than a trace of CO in their flue gases
before making fantastic amounts of soot, and a discharge into atmosphere
will dilute this trace to almost immeasurably small concentrations, I'd say
your comment can only be taken as VERY unlikely!
An old vaporising oil boiler running off tune would stink the house out to
an unbearably offensive level so anyone using such would turn it off before
getting to the stage of producing enough CO to cause a problem within the
house (or have absolutely no sense of smell at all)

Peter

Wes wrote:
Yes,I'm hoping to know if anybody has their heating based on kerosene
burner installed outdoors?
I believe we have a problem with exhaust fumes getting somehow inside
the house . The exhaust pipe from the burner is only two metres(maybe
even less) or so from the outer wall of our bedroom.I've tried to find
some regulations or directions on the installing but can't seem to
find any. It is not our house so I must be a little shy about it . I
don't want get booted from the house :-)
Cheers,Wes

http://www.warmflowboilers.co.uk/ seem to do a number of them. I did
see one which fitted into a electricity meter sized cupboard once. No
idea who makes them or even if there still available. the benefit being
that the boiler is really within the wall so little actual space is
taken up, inside the house or outside.

Peter D

The information contained in this post may not be published
in, or used by http://www.diyprojects.info

Noisy banging boiler what is the cause? Tim UK diy 8 November 3rd 04 09:36 PM
Boiler TP valve problems? Linc Vannah Home Repair 9 May 8th 04 02:20 AM
Near death boiler + replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 9 January 26th 04 12:44 PM
Boiler kettling? David Hearn UK diy 5 January 1st 04 07:47 PM
Another heating problem question! David Hearn UK diy 9 December 12th 03 08:29 PM