Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Does anyone ever get their gas meter

read?

once a month my electric meter gets read but never the gas meter,been in
this house 3 years now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
read?

once a month my electric meter gets read but never the gas meter,been in
this house 3 years now.

For sure. I think all utility co's do it once a year minimum.

Presumably you're paying a bill? Is it based on your own readings or
some wildly inaccurate estimate by the gas co?

(You don't have a gas meter in an outside cupboard, do you, which gets
read without recourse to the customer?!)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message

For sure. I think all utility co's do it once a year minimum.

Presumably you're paying a bill? Is it based on your own readings or
some wildly inaccurate estimate by the gas co?

(You don't have a gas meter in an outside cupboard, do you, which gets
read without recourse to the customer?!)

David

Pay my gas bill online and submit readings once a month

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
news
read?

once a month my electric meter gets read but never the gas meter,been in
this house 3 years now.

There should be an annual safety inspection, which is normally carried out
when it is read.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote in news:9YaKi.33920$ka7.3719
@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net:

(You don't have a gas meter in an outside cupboard, do you, which gets
read without recourse to the customer?!)

Meter on the outside wall - note on the door by the doorbell - they *still*
put a bl**dy card through the letterbox to tell me when they want to come
back to get in to read the meter.............

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
news
read?

once a month my electric meter gets read but never the gas meter,been in
this house 3 years now.

There should be an annual safety inspection, which is normally carried out
when it is read.

I'm now 50 years old, lived in houses (4 in total) with gas supplies all of
that time, and *never* have any of the meters ever had any sort of annual
inspection whatsoever.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
news
read?

once a month my electric meter gets read but never the gas meter,been in
this house 3 years now.

There should be an annual safety inspection, which is normally carried out
when it is read.

I'm now 50 years old, lived in houses (4 in total) with gas supplies all of
that time, and *never* have any of the meters ever had any sort of annual
inspection whatsoever.

A former colleague of mine had a house built, and gas laid on by the
Gas Board. In at least 15 years he never had a bill despite informing
them on numerous occasions.
He used to calculate his consumption and set aside the money in his
bank account, but a bill never came.
He subsequently retired, so I never did find out if they eventually
realised that he existed :-)

He certainly wasn't trying to avoid paying.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
news
read?

once a month my electric meter gets read but never the gas meter,been in
this house 3 years now.

There should be an annual safety inspection, which is normally carried
out when it is read.

I'm now 50 years old, lived in houses (4 in total) with gas supplies all
of that time, and *never* have any of the meters ever had any sort of
annual inspection whatsoever.

That doesn't mean they are not meant to happen and, as I noted, it happens
when the meter is read. It is a very quick visual inspection, so if you have
had your meter read, it had probably been inspected too.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , nightjar
wrote

There should be an annual safety inspection, which is normally carried out
when it is read.

I used to get those letters telling me that if I didn't allow access for
the 'safety check' then the company will apply for a court order. When
the man then came around to do his safety check he was on the premises
for no more than 30 seconds and most of this time was spent recording
the meter reading. I doubt if the meters readers are CORGI accredited
and competent to do any safety checks.

Recently the meter readers seem to call around once during a working day
and then if they get no reply will return at around 7pm in the evening
or at the weekend.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
news
read?

once a month my electric meter gets read but never the gas meter,been in
this house 3 years now.

There should be an annual safety inspection, which is normally carried
out when it is read.

I'm now 50 years old, lived in houses (4 in total) with gas supplies all
of that time, and *never* have any of the meters ever had any sort of
annual inspection whatsoever.

Dave

Concur: I'm _slightly_ older than that, but lay claim to about fifty years
of 'householding'.
I've never had any sort of annual inspection of the gas meter.
About a decade ago, the meter was changed for a modern 'odometer' style
meter ( there are white characters displaying the cubic footage consumed).
And _once_ ; yonks ago, when the gas main was renewed down the road for the
new-fangled yellow pipery the gas supply to every house in the road was
turned off and on reconnection a man came and checked that the pipes were
purged and boilers, hobs etc were lighting correctly [he was in the house
for about five minutes, tops].

BTW; both the electricity and gas meters are read, at different times and by
different readers, quarterly

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

Grief. We get our 'leccy meter read about every two or three years.

That often, eh? I can't recall seeing a leccy man in years.

We don't have mains gas. And I shall *never* do business with BG again after
the way they stitched us up when we moved house last.

YMYA.

But we already knew that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-26, Brian Sharrock wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message

once a month my electric meter gets read

BTW; both the electricity and gas meters are read, at different
times and by different readers, quarterly

Grief. We get our 'leccy meter read about every two or three years.

We don't have mains gas. And I shall *never* do business with BG
again after the way they stitched us up when we moved house last.

Snap, they've moved into the Dodgy Dealer territory for me. I closed two
accounts with them as a result.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Sharrock wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in
message ...

"George" wrote in message
news read?

[...]

I'm amazed at this. It will change - for years we had been on one
reading per annum for water and estimated reading for the half year. Our
electric and gas were on half yearly readings with quarterly estimates.
Now, sensibly, we have the gas and electric read together. I suspect it
won't be long before the water is read at the same time by the same
company. This makes particular sense where the meters are "inboard".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"clot" wrote in message
Brian Sharrock wrote:

BTW; both the electricity and gas meters are read, at different times
and by different readers, quarterly

I'm amazed at this. It will change - for years we had been on one reading
per annum for water and estimated reading for the half year. Our electric
and gas were on half yearly readings with quarterly estimates. Now,
sensibly, we have the gas and electric read together. I suspect it won't
be long before the water is read at the same time by the same company.
This makes particular sense where the meters are "inboard".

More than 30 years ago, one of the Electricity Boards was working on a
digital meter that would send its readings back down the power lines. It was
also designed to take readings from other meters and send those. It failed
partly because of Trade Union opposition and partly because no other utility
was interested in cooperating.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 25, 5:47 pm, Lobster wrote:
George wrote:
read?

once a month my electric meter gets read but never the gas meter,been in
this house 3 years now.

For sure. I think all utility co's do it once a year minimum.

Presumably you're paying a bill? Is it based on your own readings or
some wildly inaccurate estimate by the gas co?

Some gas contracts are unmetered (fixed price regardless of amount
used). My father used to have one. but maybe these were a ploy to
get people to change supplier.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , clot says...
On 2007-09-26, Brian Sharrock wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message

once a month my electric meter gets read

BTW; both the electricity and gas meters are read, at different
times and by different readers, quarterly

Grief. We get our 'leccy meter read about every two or three years.

We don't have mains gas. And I shall *never* do business with BG
again after the way they stitched us up when we moved house last.

Snap, they've moved into the Dodgy Dealer territory for me. I closed two
accounts with them as a result.

British Gas were unbelievable last time we moved house within the UK. I
told them we were moving, new address etc so they sent us a final bill
to the old house. I promptly paid it by cheque. A couple of weeks later
they sent me a cheque re-funding the amount I'd just paid. A week later
they sent me another more stropy demand for payment, so I sent them
another cheque paying it off a second time. The following week they sent
me a letter saying they were going to take court action to recover funds
due to none-payment!!! I sent them a very sarcastic letter and
eventually got a stock reply (badly addressed) saying the account had
now been settled, but no apology.
--
David in Normandy.
(The free MicroPlanet Gravity newsreader is great for eliminating
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 26, 9:27 am, Alan wrote:
I used to get those letters telling me that if I didn't allow access for
the 'safety check' then the company will apply for a court order. When
the man then came around to do his safety check he was on the premises
for no more than 30 seconds and most of this time was spent recording
the meter reading. I doubt if the meters readers are CORGI accredited
and competent to do any safety checks.

I've had those a couple of times. Oddly, in both cases it was when I'd
finally got around to taking a reading and informing BG, after years
of estimated readings due to their meter readers only coming round
when I was at work.
--
Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 09:27:38 +0100, Alan
wrote:

In message , nightjar
wrote

There should be an annual safety inspection, which is normally carried out
when it is read.

I used to get those letters telling me that if I didn't allow access for
the 'safety check' then the company will apply for a court order. When
the man then came around to do his safety check he was on the premises
for no more than 30 seconds and most of this time was spent recording
the meter reading. I doubt if the meters readers are CORGI accredited
and competent to do any safety checks.

Recently the meter readers seem to call around once during a working day
and then if they get no reply will return at around 7pm in the evening
or at the weekend.

I'll bit the "safety check" amounts to a quick sniff for gas leaks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , clot says...
On 2007-09-26, Brian Sharrock wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message

[...]