Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Length of satellite cable?

Can anyone tell me if lengthening the cable from our satellite dish to
our digital TV set-up will lessen the quality of the reception?

At the moment the dish is attached to the chimney stack and drops
vertically from it, in a straight line, through the attic, through the
first floor, to the TV on the ground floor.

The chimney needs demolishing and rebuilding and we're thinking that
once that's done the house will look better if the dish is attached to a
gable wall. Not so obvious. But the length of the cable (travelling
horizontally along the length of the house before dropping much the same
distance as before) would then be twice the length it is now.

Will this lessen the quality of the reception? Much?

Eddy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Eddy Bentley" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me if lengthening the cable from our satellite dish to
our digital TV set-up will lessen the quality of the reception?

At the moment the dish is attached to the chimney stack and drops
vertically from it, in a straight line, through the attic, through the
first floor, to the TV on the ground floor.

The chimney needs demolishing and rebuilding and we're thinking that
once that's done the house will look better if the dish is attached to a
gable wall. Not so obvious. But the length of the cable (travelling
horizontally along the length of the house before dropping much the same
distance as before) would then be twice the length it is now.

Will this lessen the quality of the reception? Much?

It will reduce the signal strength.
This will not reduce the quality unless you drop below the threshold.
The problem is we don't know what that threshold is.
How many meters of cable are you talking about?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

[...]

Most Sky systems are OK up to around 80 metres using a good grade of
cable such as CT100. Any more then that an inline amp is required....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eddy Bentley wrote:
Can anyone tell me if lengthening the cable from our satellite dish to
our digital TV set-up will lessen the quality of the reception?

At the moment the dish is attached to the chimney stack and drops
vertically from it, in a straight line, through the attic, through the
first floor, to the TV on the ground floor.

The chimney needs demolishing and rebuilding and we're thinking that
once that's done the house will look better if the dish is attached to a
gable wall. Not so obvious. But the length of the cable (travelling
horizontally along the length of the house before dropping much the same
distance as before) would then be twice the length it is now.

Will this lessen the quality of the reception? Much?

I suggest that more important than the overall length will be the need
to replace the whole cable with a new continuous piece, rather than
joining on a new bit.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Eddy Bentley" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Probably not as the output from the LNB is amplified to a reasonable
level that allows for average length cable runs.

If the length is extremely long, you might run into problems without
adding an amplifier in line.

If you are adding to the existing length, then F connectors and a
back-to-back joining barrel should be used (with suitable weather
protection if needed). Preferably though, replace entire cable from new
dish location.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thanks guys!

tony sayer wrote:
Most Sky systems are OK up to around 80 metres using a good grade of
cable such as CT100. Any more then that an inline amp is required....

Thanks guys, for all your advice. I reckon I'll be under 80 metres and
yes fitting one whole new length of good quality cable sounds like a
wise idea.

Thanks.

Eddy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Eddy Bentley
wrote
tony sayer wrote:
Most Sky systems are OK up to around 80 metres using a good grade of
cable such as CT100. Any more then that an inline amp is required....

Thanks guys, for all your advice. I reckon I'll be under 80 metres and
yes fitting one whole new length of good quality cable sounds like a
wise idea.

Some outlets are currently charging a 'premium price' for CT100 (or
equivalent)

Some links, courtesy of another newsgroup.

http://www.tvaerials.com/product.asp...t=Webro%20WF10
0%20100m%20White%20Coax%20Digital%20Cable

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind..._and_Satellite
/index.html
First product on the page

Related links