Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 30 amp power supply for tumble dryer

I've recently purchased a large american tumble dryer, which
unfortunately comes without installation instructions etc.

As will become clear, I don't have a clue about electrics, and I just
want to make sure everything is safe.

The instructions on the back of the machine state "Use a new UL
approved 30 amp power supply cord or 10 gauge solid copper wire".

However, the machine has a normal 3 pin 13 amp plug on it just now.

Question: is it safe to plug this into a normal socket and use? Or do
I need to run a new 30 amp cable from the consumer unit? (when I say
"I", a proper electrician will be doing the work if needed,
thankfully!!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:

I suspect that label. 30A at US 110V is a tad over 3kW - as is 13A at
240V.

That is possible, however note that most US houses have a 110-0-110
connection to the mains. Hence for large fixed appliances they can run
them from 220V. So it may be possible that it needs that much power.

Does it have a power rating anywhere?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:29:23 -0700, wrote:

I've recently purchased a large american tumble dryer, which
unfortunately comes without installation instructions etc.

Where from ? :-)

As will become clear, I don't have a clue about electrics, and I just
want to make sure everything is safe.

The instructions on the back of the machine state "Use a new UL
approved 30 amp power supply cord or 10 gauge solid copper wire".

However, the machine has a normal 3 pin 13 amp plug on it just now.

What's it's origin? Some machines brought in by American Forces or
Embassy personnel had a transformer installed within the appliance by
a local electrican over here, alternatively some electricians
preferred to install a central transformer in the house and run 110v
radial circuits out to the appliances.

Then again American appliances can be 110v-0-110v

Question: is it safe to plug this into a normal socket and use? Or do
I need to run a new 30 amp cable from the consumer unit?

I think that is unlikely

(when I say "I", a proper electrician will be doing the work if needed,
thankfully!!)

You might need to look out for one with experience in the field of
installing US appliances over here.

The 30 amp configuration will presumably be at 110v single phase. The
presence of the 13amp plug could indicate that it has been fitted with
a transformer and draws less (probably not much less) than 13 amps at
240 volts. It really has to be determined for sure.

Was it previously working without problems wherever it came from ?

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Andy Champ wrote:

I suspect that label. 30A at US 110V is a tad over 3kW - as is 13A at
240V.

That is possible, however note that most US houses have a 110-0-110
connection to the mains. Hence for large fixed appliances they can run
them from 220V. So it may be possible that it needs that much power.

Does it have a power rating anywhere?

I doubt if there are _any_ US dryers which run on 110. All that I've
seen lately, have been 220 (years ago, 250).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
Andy Champ wrote:

I suspect that label. 30A at US 110V is a tad over 3kW - as is 13A at
240V.

That is possible, however note that most US houses have a 110-0-110

120-0-120

connection to the mains. Hence for large fixed appliances they can run
them from 220V. So it may be possible that it needs that much power.

240V

Does it have a power rating anywhere?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Sep 2007 22:52:47 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

http://www.thorappliances.com/installation/index.php

connection to the mains. Hence for large fixed appliances they can run
them from 220V. So it may be possible that it needs that much power.

240V

http://www.thorappliances.com/installation/index.php

Does it have a power rating anywhere?

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm writes:
Andy Champ wrote:

I suspect that label. 30A at US 110V is a tad over 3kW - as is 13A at
240V.

That is possible, however note that most US houses have a 110-0-110

120-0-120

Yup, sorry thinking site transformers ;-)

Still, the same logic applies - don't assume that is 120V 30A... in fact
if it *is* 120V definitely don't try running from 240V!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Derek Geldard writes:
On 24 Sep 2007 22:52:47 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
Andy Champ wrote:

I suspect that label. 30A at US 110V is a tad over 3kW - as is 13A at
240V.

That is possible, however note that most US houses have a 110-0-110

120-0-120

http://www.thorappliances.com/installation/index.php

US hasn't been 110V for around 60 years.
Some parts (such as California) have dropped back from
120V to 117V more recently as an energy saving measure.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

US hasn't been 110V for around 60 years.
Some parts (such as California) have dropped back from
120V to 117V more recently as an energy saving measure.

PSE&G in New Jersey claims to be 110v.
As do a number of other suppliers.
50 years ago, higher voltages were common.

It's a big country - what's true in one area, may not be true elsewhere.

Help With Tumble Dryer Nigel Heather UK diy 9 January 10th 06 01:52 PM
Help with tumble dryer please Andrew Cosway UK diy 2 June 3rd 05 03:36 PM
Ink in tumble dryer casey UK diy 6 May 26th 05 12:39 PM
tumble dryer which? Janet Tweedy UK diy 13 February 17th 04 09:34 PM