Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Combi pilot light going out.

My boiler has been playing up.
Finally got round to having a look at it today, and when all back
together, the pilot light will not stay alight.
According to the manual, it is either a faulty thermocouple, or a faulty
overheat switch.
I'd presume the thermocouple will be the most likely suspect.
Am I right in that thinking?

And, the universal thermocouples from Screwfix - am I likely to get any
joy if I buy one of those in the morning?
Thanks
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
My boiler has been playing up.
Finally got round to having a look at it today, and when all back
together, the pilot light will not stay alight.
According to the manual, it is either a faulty thermocouple, or a faulty
overheat switch.
I'd presume the thermocouple will be the most likely suspect.
Am I right in that thinking?

And, the universal thermocouples from Screwfix - am I likely to get any
joy if I buy one of those in the morning?
Thanks
Alan.

Did the pilot fail to stay alight prior to pulling the boiler about?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Heliotrope Smith wrote:
"A.Lee" wrote in message....
Finally got round to having a look at it today, and when all back
together, the pilot light will not stay alight.
According to the manual, it is either a faulty thermocouple, or a faulty
overheat switch.
I'd presume the thermocouple will be the most likely suspect.
Am I right in that thinking?

And, the universal thermocouples from Screwfix - am I likely to get any
joy if I buy one of those in the morning?

Did the pilot fail to stay alight prior to pulling the boiler about?

No, it was fine, but I do remember last time it went out that it took
ages to get it lit again. This time it doesnt want to know.

I was having trouble with the hot water going cold every minute or
two.The diagnosis was a blocked secondary heat exchanger, which I took
off today to clean, but it didnt seem at all cogged like I was
expecting.
So flushed it through anyway, put it all back together, and then the
pilot wouldnt stay lit.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
My boiler has been playing up.
Finally got round to having a look at it today, and when all back
together, the pilot light will not stay alight.
According to the manual, it is either a faulty thermocouple, or a faulty
overheat switch.
I'd presume the thermocouple will be the most likely suspect.
Am I right in that thinking?

And, the universal thermocouples from Screwfix - am I likely to get any
joy if I buy one of those in the morning?
Thanks
Alan.

Have you checked that the pilot light is clean, not sooted up and that the
sensor is actually in the flame?
Phil B

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil B wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
My boiler has been playing up.
Finally got round to having a look at it today, and when all back
together, the pilot light will not stay alight.
According to the manual, it is either a faulty thermocouple, or a faulty
overheat switch.
I'd presume the thermocouple will be the most likely suspect.
Am I right in that thinking?

And, the universal thermocouples from Screwfix - am I likely to get any
joy if I buy one of those in the morning?

Have you checked that the pilot light is clean, not sooted up and that the
sensor is actually in the flame?

Yes to all of the above.
Screwfix came to the rescue - I was there queueing at 9:55, and got home
at 10:15, a bit of a swine to fit, as the new thermocouple has rather a
long tail on it, whereas the old one was only 4" long.
After realising that it wouldnt work when touching other metal work, a
bit of gentle bending ensued, and it successfully lit, and stayed lit.
All working again now, and domestic distress is disappearing, as the
daughter couldnt survive the whole day without washing her hair!
Ta
Alan.