Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How can you spray thick exterior paint?

I would like to paint the outside of the rear of my house (front
already done when I moved in) and have a compressor and spray gun.

The gun is very poor at spraying thick paint or even fencing paint/
protector.

What do i need to spray thick paint? Would a spray gun with the bottle
on top of the gun work? (the bottle is on the bottom of my gun)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 21, 12:19 pm, 405 TD Estate wrote:
I would like to paint the outside of the rear of my house (front
already done when I moved in) and have a compressor and spray gun.

The gun is very poor at spraying thick paint or even fencing paint/
protector.

What do i need to spray thick paint? Would a spray gun with the bottle
on top of the gun work? (the bottle is on the bottom of my gun)

In my limited experience, you need to thin it down and/or use
something more a kin to a parafin sprayer and/or get a HVLP system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
ups.com...
I would like to paint the outside of the rear of my house (front
already done when I moved in) and have a compressor and spray gun.

The gun is very poor at spraying thick paint or even fencing paint/
protector.

What do i need to spray thick paint? Would a spray gun with the bottle
on top of the gun work? (the bottle is on the bottom of my gun)

Friend of mine did this years ago

The house insurance, I think he said, paid for the respray of his neighbours
car, and some of the surrounding fence panels but not his own. All due to
where the overspray ended up.

Odd really that this should have happened to him as he had his own business
respraying trucks and should have realised

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

405 TD Estate wrote:
I would like to paint the outside of the rear of my house (front
already done when I moved in) and have a compressor and spray gun.

The gun is very poor at spraying thick paint or even fencing paint/
protector.

What do i need to spray thick paint? Would a spray gun with the bottle
on top of the gun work? (the bottle is on the bottom of my gun)

Hi there

don't use a compressor it wont do the job, i think what you need is a
High-volume, low-pressure (HVLP) paint sprayer, do a Google on them and see.
Let me know how you get on.

best of luck

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
ups.com...
I would like to paint the outside of the rear of my house (front
already done when I moved in) and have a compressor and spray gun.

The gun is very poor at spraying thick paint or even fencing paint/
protector.

What do i need to spray thick paint? Would a spray gun with the bottle
on top of the gun work? (the bottle is on the bottom of my gun)

You'll need an HVLP system, and a very expensive one at that. I looked into
it, and spoke to Leyland (I bought their paint) about spraying it,
specifically thinning it for spraying, and they said "don't thin it, you'll
ruin the paint properties".

I then spoke to a manufacturer about suitable sprayers, and they said that
despite some of their literature claiming to be able to spray masonry paint,
they really couldn't, however they were launching a new model that could -
£400!!!!

Have spent more paying someone else to do it manually, but have saved myself
the time and hassle, probably used less paint and got a better job to boot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

bought a 600w HVLP sprayer from Ebay and it can spray fencing paint OK
though may need a bit of thinning however opening a tin of masonry
paint it would have no chance - if I thinned it so i could spray it
(probably requiring at least one or 2 parts water to 1 part paint) i
dont think it would set properly.

I've done the job with a masonry brush - slow it took 2.5 days for the
back of the house only but it's a good job and aside from it being
whiter than i wanted due to poor color labels by dulux it looks nice.
Next time I would investigate a masonry roller it may be quicker but I
would suspect use more paint since you can't really work the paint in
very well like you need to with a masonry brush. All in all took 5
tins or 10l paint to do the back of the house - it's pebble dashed =
£100 and borrowed scaffolding off a neighbour.