Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default planned lean-to and gas boiler flue outlet?

Hi, I'm planning to build an open fronted lean-to against the wall of
my house. On this wall, about 5' from the ground is a gas boiler flue
outlet ( a square steel plate with caged sides). Is it considered
acceptable to roof over the part of the wall with this outlet in it?
Regards,
Dick Treen

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, wrote:
I'm planning to build an open fronted lean-to against the wall of
my house. On this wall, about 5' from the ground is a gas boiler flue
outlet ( a square steel plate with caged sides). Is it considered
acceptable to roof over the part of the wall with this outlet in it?

Dunno, but we've done something similar here. Our porch is 150cm deep,
280cm wide, 220-200cm high, closed at both sides, and contains a
balanced flue centred 70cm from the floor. There have been no problems
other than condensation under the roof, making the steel supporting beam
prone to rust. The porch is also nice and warm. ;-)

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 03:50:04 -0700, treenoakio wrote:

Hi, I'm planning to build an open fronted lean-to against the wall of
my house. On this wall, about 5' from the ground is a gas boiler flue
outlet ( a square steel plate with caged sides). Is it considered
acceptable to roof over the part of the wall with this outlet in it?
Regards,
Dick Treen

A good proportion of the gas fitting horror pictures published in "The
Gas Installer" (CORGI comic) are based on various creative ways people
have devised to build extensions without refitting the boiler.

What you may or may not do may or may not be listed out in the manual.
If there's no help in the manual then BS 5440 part 1 should help.
These standards might be available to download using the magic words
"british standard torrent".

If you find that the boiler can't be used with your new lean to then maybe
it's time to bring forward the boiler's replacement as the boiler is at
least half way through it's life.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Sep, 17:59, Ed Sirett wrote:
[...]

The FAQ for uk.diy is athttp://www.diyfaq.org.uk
Sealed CH FAQhttp://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/SealedCH.html
Choosing a Boiler FAQhttp://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html

Thanks to Mike Barnes for the reassuring response and thanks to Ed
Sirett for making me realise exactly what I was trying to avoid by
asking this on the newsgroup. :-)