Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 2 way light switch.

Is it possible to have a 2 way light switch
system with a dimmer at either end.
i.e. would it be possible to adjust the
brightness from low to high at each switch.

Thanks,
Matthew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matthew wrote:
Is it possible to have a 2 way light switch
system with a dimmer at either end.
i.e. would it be possible to adjust the
brightness from low to high at each switch.

I have not found such.

Possibly using a radio controlled dimmer operated by two radio
transmitters...
Thanks,
Matthew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matthew" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is it possible to have a 2 way light switch
system with a dimmer at either end.
i.e. would it be possible to adjust the
brightness from low to high at each switch.

It would be fairly easy to have a circuit with two dimmers, and a two way
switch at each end toggling which dimmer was the active one. Lots of wire
though, and of course you'd have to flick the switch to make your end
active.

In practice you'd want to have some sort of up/down control at each end,
rather than a conventional dimmer where the position of the knob determines
the light output. The up/down could be in the form of a wheel (like some
radios have) if you prefer the rotary control. Then you need either wireless
or some control wires going from the switches to the actual dimmer box. It
might be possible/amusing to convert an existing rotary dimmer switch with a
motor - similar to the motorised volume knobs on some amplifiers. If you
made that sensibly, you could then have a normal dimmer switch at one end,
and an up/down switch at the other.

There's probably less d-i-y ways of doing it though :-)

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 06:11:15 -0700, Matthew
wrote:

Is it possible to have a 2 way light switch
system with a dimmer at either end.
i.e. would it be possible to adjust the
brightness from low to high at each switch.

I am sure I have seen a (two way) dimmer at one end and a standard two
way switch at the other. Not quite what you want but probably the
simplest way. Otherwise you get into the realms of home automation or
you could use a radio controlled switch whoch would let you dim from
anywhere via the remote control; didn't argos used to sell one?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matthew wrote:

Is it possible to have a 2 way light switch
system with a dimmer at either end.
i.e. would it be possible to adjust the
brightness from low to high at each switch.

Yup, you need a master slave dimmer pair:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...s_5/index.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Matthew wrote:
Is it possible to have a 2 way light switch
system with a dimmer at either end.
i.e. would it be possible to adjust the
brightness from low to high at each switch.

Effectively yes by using one dimmer which is controlled from more than one
place - so a 'special'. I've seen them but can't remember who makes them.
Home Automation might be a good place to start.

--
*I was once a millionaire but my mom gave away my baseball cards

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...es_Menu_Index/...