Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

Default PC Sound - TV - Cables

I need to connect sound card output to TV input - what I needs is
35mm stereo male to 2 x phono male (RCA).

But I want them to be about twenty feet long. I haven't actually
found any as long as that - but if I do, I bet they will be twenty
five quidish or even more.

I am thinking of using the correct plugs with small tails and then
connect them to twenty feet of twisted pairs or similar - just via
small junction blocks or soldering

I'm not bothered about hi-fi: just basic stereo sound

Any views/suggestions - type of wire? etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

"judith" wrote in message

I need to connect sound card output to TV input - what I needs is
35mm stereo male to 2 x phono male (RCA).

But I want them to be about twenty feet long. I haven't actually
found any as long as that - but if I do, I bet they will be twenty
five quidish or even more.

I am thinking of using the correct plugs with small tails and then
connect them to twenty feet of twisted pairs or similar - just via
small junction blocks or soldering

I'm not bothered about hi-fi: just basic stereo sound

Any views/suggestions - type of wire? etc.

Try this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10m-32ft-3-5mm...QQcmdZViewItem

Job done for 4 quid - no?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

"Keith G"

** YOU ARE A STINKING, AUTISTIC ****ING LIAR !!

....... Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

"Phoul Allison" spewed:

"Keith G"

** YOU ARE A STINKING, AUTISTIC ****ING LIAR !!

...... Phil

Dear oh dear...

What on earth will 'judith' make of that, I wonder....

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

"Keith G"

** YOU ARE A STINKING, AUTISTIC ****ING LIAR !!

The whole UK is CRAWLING with scum like you.

The radical Moslems will get you, good and proper.

...... Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

judith wrote in
:

I need to connect sound card output to TV input - what I needs is
35mm stereo male to 2 x phono male (RCA).

But I want them to be about twenty feet long. I haven't actually
found any as long as that - but if I do, I bet they will be twenty
five quidish or even more.

I am thinking of using the correct plugs with small tails and then
connect them to twenty feet of twisted pairs or similar - just via
small junction blocks or soldering

I'm not bothered about hi-fi: just basic stereo sound

I recently went through a similar search, in my case to play MP3 and
FLAC audio files from a laptop via an stereo amp (both located in the
shed) into large (DJ size) speakers for music at a garden barbecue
party.

I tried the cheapo cables (you've had an eBay item pointed out) but
found that the voltage drop was significant. In the end I went for one
of these:
http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/index.php?
main_page=index&cPath=128_188_190

In my case I bought the 5m 'Premium' job; I see they also do a 10m and
20m version.

Two slighly OT comments:
1. I really must get a Squeezebox
2. I can thoroughly recommend Cable Universe as a supplier of all kinds
of cables (I've bought shed loads of CAT5 Ethernet drop cables from
them) as well as other bits and bobs. Good quality, reasonable prices,
and very fast delivery.

Hope this helps

--
Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

judith wrote:

I need to connect sound card output to TV input - what I needs is
35mm stereo male to 2 x phono male (RCA).

But I want them to be about twenty feet long. I haven't actually
found any as long as that - but if I do, I bet they will be twenty
five quidish or even more.

I am thinking of using the correct plugs with small tails and then
connect them to twenty feet of twisted pairs or similar - just via
small junction blocks or soldering

You want screened cable, not twisted pairs.

I'm not bothered about hi-fi: just basic stereo sound

Any views/suggestions - type of wire? etc.

There are a variety of lengths here up to 32ft.
http://search.ebay.co.uk/phono-jack-...Zm37QQfromZR40

Graham

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

"Phoul Allison" puked:

"Keith G"

** YOU ARE A STINKING, AUTISTIC ****ING LIAR !!

**beep**

Repetition....

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 13:50:39 +0100, judith waxed
lyrical about:

I need to connect sound card output to TV input - what I needs is
35mm stereo male to 2 x phono male (RCA).

But I want them to be about twenty feet long. I haven't actually
found any as long as that - but if I do, I bet they will be twenty
five quidish or even more.

I am thinking of using the correct plugs with small tails and then
connect them to twenty feet of twisted pairs or similar - just via
small junction blocks or soldering

I'm not bothered about hi-fi: just basic stereo sound

Any views/suggestions - type of wire? etc.

I had a similar problem when I needed to link my TV to my amp at
opposite ends of my lounge (a total run of about 40ft), I got some
2-way screened audio cable from Maplin and soldered it to plate
mounted phono sockets.

Maplin do a range of suitable cables from about 80p/metre upwards & if
you don't fancy soldering phono plugs on you can get plugs with a
shield clamp and grub screw for the signal wire.

I wouldn't fancy soldering a 3.5mm stereo jack anymore as my eyes
aren't up to it now so I'd probably solder phono plugs and connect
them to the sound card via a 3.5mm jack to twin female phono adapter

There, that's the DIY bit done, but, as you only want basic stereo
sound, you'll probably find it easier (and cheaper) to order from
somewhere like this

http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/3_5mm_Stereo_Cables.php

3.5mm jack to phono pair (10m) for £5.64 (inc VAT)

Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

judith wrote:

I need to connect sound card output to TV input - what I needs is
35mm stereo male to 2 x phono male (RCA).

But I want them to be about twenty feet long. I haven't actually

Try CPC: http://www.cpc.co.uk

They have a number of them. Something like order code AL349 or PSG00193
- prices range from about £3 to approaching a tenner depending on
quality etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

"Keith G"

** YOU ARE ONE STINKING, AUTISTIC ****ING LIAR !!

The whole UK is CRAWLING with scum like you.

The radical Moslems will get you all, good and proper.

...... Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 14:00:36 +0100, "Keith G"
wrote:

"judith" wrote in message
.. .

I need to connect sound card output to TV input - what I needs is
35mm stereo male to 2 x phono male (RCA).

But I want them to be about twenty feet long. I haven't actually
found any as long as that - but if I do, I bet they will be twenty
five quidish or even more.

I am thinking of using the correct plugs with small tails and then
connect them to twenty feet of twisted pairs or similar - just via
small junction blocks or soldering

I'm not bothered about hi-fi: just basic stereo sound

Any views/suggestions - type of wire? etc.

Try this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10m-32ft-3-5mm...QQcmdZViewItem

Job done for 4 quid - no?

Spot on - ordered - bargain!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

"judith" wrote in message

I need to connect sound card output to TV input - what I needs is
35mm stereo male to 2 x phono male (RCA).

But I want them to be about twenty feet long. I haven't actually
found any as long as that - but if I do, I bet they will be twenty
five quidish or even more.

I am thinking of using the correct plugs with small tails and then
connect them to twenty feet of twisted pairs or similar - just via
small junction blocks or soldering

I'm not bothered about hi-fi: just basic stereo sound

Any views/suggestions - type of wire? etc.

Since you have already ordered what seems to be an excellent solution -
there's not a lot to add that will help you directly.

However for future reference, the standard 1 meter 35 mm - RCA adaptor
cable, joined to long standard RCA cable (s) with standard barrel
adaptors, works about as well as anything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

"judith" wrote in message

I need to connect sound card output to TV input - what I needs is
35mm stereo male to 2 x phono male (RCA).

3.5mm shurley

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

In article ,
judith wrote:
I need to connect sound card output to TV input - what I needs is
35mm stereo male to 2 x phono male (RCA).

I *hope* you mean 3.5mm ;-)

But I want them to be about twenty feet long. I haven't actually
found any as long as that - but if I do, I bet they will be twenty
five quidish or even more.

I am thinking of using the correct plugs with small tails and then
connect them to twenty feet of twisted pairs or similar - just via
small junction blocks or soldering

I'm not bothered about hi-fi: just basic stereo sound

Buy the plugs and single co-ax from Maplin etc and solder the connections.

Any views/suggestions - type of wire? etc.

Any miniature audio co-ax will do. Only a few pence a metre.

--
*How do they get the deer to cross at that yellow road sign?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
judith wrote:
I need to connect sound card output to TV input - what I needs is
35mm stereo male to 2 x phono male (RCA).

I *hope* you mean 3.5mm ;-)

But I want them to be about twenty feet long. I haven't actually
found any as long as that - but if I do, I bet they will be twenty
five quidish or even more.

I am thinking of using the correct plugs with small tails and then
connect them to twenty feet of twisted pairs or similar - just via
small junction blocks or soldering

I'm not bothered about hi-fi: just basic stereo sound

Buy the plugs and single co-ax from Maplin etc and solder the
connections.

Any views/suggestions - type of wire? etc.

Any miniature audio co-ax will do. Only a few pence a metre.

You post this *6 hours* after the OP reports she's ordered one off
eBay...??

???

--
*How do they get the deer to cross at that yellow road sign?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

In article ,
Keith G wrote:
You post this *6 hours* after the OP reports she's ordered one off
eBay...??

Not everyone sits at a computer all day Keithie. Some go to work.

--
*If you remember the '60s, you weren't really there

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

In message , Keith G
writes

Buy the plugs and single co-ax from Maplin etc and solder the
connections.

Any views/suggestions - type of wire? etc.

Any miniature audio co-ax will do. Only a few pence a metre.

You post this *6 hours* after the OP reports she's ordered one off
eBay...??

Not uncommon around here

What's the problem ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

Keith G wrote:
You post this *6 hours* after the OP reports she's ordered one off
eBay...??

Not everyone sits at a computer all day Keithie. Some go to work.

And do a damn sight less than I have today, but WTF is the point of
posting advice on making cables when you've already been told they've
*ordered* one...??

--
*If you remember the '60s, you weren't really there

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

Keith G wrote:
You post this *6 hours* after the OP reports she's ordered one off
eBay...??

Not everyone sits at a computer all day Keithie. Some go to work.

And do a damn sight less than I have today, but WTF is the point of
posting advice on making cables when you've already been told they've
*ordered* one...??

So that people coming to the thread in the future (or even just lurking now)
know of alternatives.

Easy, eh?

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

judith wrote:
I need to connect sound card output to TV input - what I needs is
35mm stereo male to 2 x phono male (RCA).

I *hope* you mean 3.5mm ;-)

But I want them to be about twenty feet long. I haven't actually
found any as long as that - but if I do, I bet they will be twenty
five quidish or even more.
I am thinking of using the correct plugs with small tails and then
connect them to twenty feet of twisted pairs or similar - just via
small junction blocks or soldering
I'm not bothered about hi-fi: just basic stereo sound

Buy the plugs and single co-ax from Maplin etc and solder the
connections.

Any views/suggestions - type of wire? etc.

Any miniature audio co-ax will do. Only a few pence a metre.

You post this *6 hours* after the OP reports she's ordered one off
eBay...??

With the way usenet prorogation works, there is no guarantee that
everyone will see all responses at the same time, even assuming you
choose to read them all before replying.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

judith wrote:
[...]

No, forget all that - it was just Plowie *dispensing wisdom* as he likes
to do!

Which, in this case, was a totally pointless 'after the fact' exercise,
IMO - when I responded to the OP it reminded me that I needed to replace
the clumsy thick cable/connector/thin cable cable on my amp/laptop
setup, so I bought this cable at the same time:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN:IT&ih=004

Paid for at 14:24 yesterday afternoon, it arrived at 07:50 this morning:

http://www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/show/Cable.JPG

It is very 'pretty' and is just the right length and 'thickness' for the
job and only cost At £4.19 all in (see pic). Add in the fact that I only
had to walk to the front doormat to get it and it makes any notion of
****ing about sourcing the bits and making one up look just a wee bit
daft, don't it?

(Unless you are going to mention the *satisfaction* of DIY...?? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

"Owain" wrote in message
Keith G wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote
Buy the plugs and single co-ax from Maplin etc and solder the
connections.
Any miniature audio co-ax will do. Only a few pence a metre.

You post this *6 hours* after the OP reports she's ordered one off
eBay...??

(a) She might want another one at a later date (although that Ebay
price looked pretty good)

See my other post with all the pix - I haven't tried my cable yet but it
looks the biz for probably less than the cost of the DIY parts! With any
luck, the OP's probably has already got hers as well!

(b) Someone might be reading this at sometime in the future, and find
the information helpful

When a quick eBay grab will still be a better bet - lower 'carbon
footprint', if nothing else...!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

Keith G wrote:

No, forget all that - it was just Plowie *dispensing wisdom* as he likes
to do!

Well that is kind of the purpose of the group... so stop whinging.

Paid for at 14:24 yesterday afternoon, it arrived at 07:50 this morning:

http://www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/show/Cable.JPG

It is very 'pretty' and is just the right length and 'thickness' for the
job and only cost At £4.19 all in (see pic). Add in the fact that I only

If you type PSG00807 into CPCs search box you could have saved yourself
50p ;-)

had to walk to the front doormat to get it and it makes any notion of
****ing about sourcing the bits and making one up look just a wee bit
daft, don't it?

Not if you need a custom length, need to control the quality of
materials and construction, or need to terminate the wire after
installation.

(Unless you are going to mention the *satisfaction* of DIY...?? :-)

or that even.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Keith G wrote:

No, forget all that - it was just Plowie *dispensing wisdom* as he
likes to do!

Well that is kind of the purpose of the group... so stop whinging.

OK then, let me dispense some for you: If you want to be a Smart Alec
and yet not look *too* thick - learn to spell....

further blather snipped

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

Keith G wrote:

OK then, let me dispense some for you: If you want to be a Smart Alec
and yet not look *too* thick - learn to spell....

Ah yes, the spelling police; always the last resort of someone who has
backed themselves into a corner and needs to change the argument
quickly. What was that about looking thick?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Keith G wrote:

OK then, let me dispense some for you: If you want to be a Smart Alec
and yet not look *too* thick - learn to spell....

Ah yes, the spelling police; always the last resort of someone who has
backed themselves into a corner and needs to change the argument
quickly. What was that about looking thick?

Make that thick *and* tedious...

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

Keith G wrote:
You post this *6 hours* after the OP reports she's ordered one off
eBay...??

Not everyone sits at a computer all day Keithie. Some go to work.

And do a damn sight less than I have today, but WTF is the point of
posting advice on making cables when you've already been told they've
*ordered* one...??

So you read *every* post in a thread before adding anything, keithie? I'll
remember that next time you jump in with both flat feet on anything.

Besides, making your own cables ensures they are exactly the length you
need. So no need for the untidy mess behind your computer or Hi-Fi etc
that you obviously put up with if you insist on buying everything ready
made.

Given the amount of messing about you do with audio gear I'm amazed you've
not bought bulk packs of phonos etc off Ebay where they cost pennies per
item.

--
*You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

In message , Keith G
writes

Keith G wrote:
You post this *6 hours* after the OP reports she's ordered one off
eBay...??

Not everyone sits at a computer all day Keithie. Some go to work.

And do a damn sight less than I have today, but WTF is the point of
posting advice on making cables when you've already been told they've
*ordered* one...??

For the same reason that its a newsgroup, not a private post to the OP -
others might find it useful

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

In message , Keith G
writes

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Keith G wrote:

No, forget all that - it was just Plowie *dispensing wisdom* as he
likes to do!

Well that is kind of the purpose of the group... so stop whinging.

OK then, let me dispense some for you: If you want to be a Smart Alec
and yet not look *too* thick - learn to spell....

Don't you know anything ?

People who respond always make a mistake themselves

Its a law of newsgroups

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

In message , Keith G
writes

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Keith G wrote:

OK then, let me dispense some for you: If you want to be a Smart Alec
and yet not look *too* thick - learn to spell....

Ah yes, the spelling police; always the last resort of someone who has
backed themselves into a corner and needs to change the argument
quickly. What was that about looking thick?

Make that thick *and* tedious...

You are beginning to come across in that manner

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

Keith G wrote:
You post this *6 hours* after the OP reports she's ordered one off
eBay...??

Not everyone sits at a computer all day Keithie. Some go to work.

And do a damn sight less than I have today, but WTF is the point of
posting advice on making cables when you've already been told they've
*ordered* one...??

So you read *every* post in a thread before adding anything, keithie?

Yes, I at least *skim* through them if I come across an established
thread - doesn't anybody with any sense?

I'll
remember that next time you jump in with both flat feet on anything.

??

Besides, making your own cables ensures they are exactly the length
you
need. So no need for the untidy mess behind your computer or Hi-Fi etc
that you obviously put up with if you insist on buying everything
ready
made.

I'll tell you summat for nowt Plowie - any time you make a cable exactly
the right length, a pound to a pinch it'll be too short in six month's
time when it comes to TVs and PCs (as per the topic)...

Given the amount of messing about you do with audio gear I'm amazed
you've
not bought bulk packs of phonos etc off Ebay where they cost pennies
per
item.

Asittapens, I never have - I bought a pile of nice gold plated ones from
the local hifi shop at 'get rid' prices a few years back and they've
lasted me until now....

--
*You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Keith G
writes

Keith G wrote:
You post this *6 hours* after the OP reports she's ordered one off
eBay...??

Not everyone sits at a computer all day Keithie. Some go to work.

And do a damn sight less than I have today, but WTF is the point of
posting advice on making cables when you've already been told they've
*ordered* one...??

For the same reason that its a newsgroup, not a private post to the
OP - others might find it useful

No, that dog don't hunt - check Plowie's original reply and ask yourself
if it wasn't a *direct* response to the OP.

(*Private* doesn't come into it in a public forum...)

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Keith G
writes

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Keith G wrote:

OK then, let me dispense some for you: If you want to be a Smart
Alec
and yet not look *too* thick - learn to spell....

Ah yes, the spelling police; always the last resort of someone who
has
backed themselves into a corner and needs to change the argument
quickly. What was that about looking thick?

Make that thick *and* tedious...

You are beginning to come across in that manner

As are you - if you don't want it, don't crosspost into ukra. Simple
innit?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

In message , Keith G
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Keith G
writes

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Keith G wrote:

OK then, let me dispense some for you: If you want to be a Smart
Alec
and yet not look *too* thick - learn to spell....

Ah yes, the spelling police; always the last resort of someone who
has
backed themselves into a corner and needs to change the argument
quickly. What was that about looking thick?

Make that thick *and* tedious...

You are beginning to come across in that manner

As are you - if you don't want it, don't crosspost into ukra. Simple
innit?

.... Makes a note not to visit that geekhole

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

In article ,
Keith G wrote:
I'll tell you summat for nowt Plowie - any time you make a cable exactly
the right length, a pound to a pinch it'll be too short in six month's
time when it comes to TVs and PCs (as per the topic)...

Then you make up a new one to exactly the same length, kitty. I thought
you'd have known that.

--
*If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

In article ,
raden wrote:
As are you - if you don't want it, don't crosspost into ukra. Simple
innit?

... Makes a note not to visit that geekhole

It's a different planet from uk.rec.d-i-y. But even kitty doesn't get near
dribble as a pita.

--
*Who is this General Failure chap anyway - and why is he reading my HD? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

raden wrote:
As are you - if you don't want it, don't crosspost into ukra. Simple
innit?

... Makes a note not to visit that geekhole

It's a different planet from uk.rec.d-i-y. But even kitty doesn't get
near
dribble as a pita.

Are you unaware that you are still crossposting and your DIY *baby talk*
is leaking into ukra??

--
*Who is this General Failure chap anyway - and why is he reading my
HD? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Keith G
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Keith G
writes

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Keith G wrote:

OK then, let me dispense some for you: If you want to be a Smart
Alec
and yet not look *too* thick - learn to spell....

Ah yes, the spelling police; always the last resort of someone who
has
backed themselves into a corner and needs to change the argument
quickly. What was that about looking thick?

Make that thick *and* tedious...

You are beginning to come across in that manner

As are you - if you don't want it, don't crosspost into ukra. Simple
innit?

... Makes a note not to visit that geekhole

Aw, **** - and we'd baked a cake specially...

:-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

Keith G wrote:
I'll tell you summat for nowt Plowie - any time you make a cable
exactly
the right length, a pound to a pinch it'll be too short in six
month's
time when it comes to TVs and PCs (as per the topic)...

Then you make up a new one to exactly the same length, kitty.

Kitty? (You feeling alright?)

I thought
you'd have known that.

Then you've got two the same length and *both* of them too short - is
that what you mean...??