Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting downlighters in a ceiling?

This weekend I'll be fitting some LV halogen downlighters in the
bathroom. So I'll be cutting holes in the ceiling into the attic
which is currently insulated with 200mm of rockwool.

Can I leave the downlighters underneath the insulation or should I
remove the insulation above the downlighters to prevent heat build up?
Maximum lamp wattage will be 35W.

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DIY-Not wrote:

Can I leave the downlighters underneath the insulation or should I
remove the insulation above the downlighters to prevent heat build up?
Maximum lamp wattage will be 35W.

Stick a traditional flower pot over each on. That will allow some heat
to vent and stop them getting smothered in insulation.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi,

Also use NON dichroic bulbs if you want any heat from the bulb to go
down into the room and not heat the ceiling/loft.

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 16:20:50 +0100, DIY-Not wrote:

This weekend I'll be fitting some LV halogen downlighters in the
bathroom. So I'll be cutting holes in the ceiling into the attic
which is currently insulated with 200mm of rockwool.

Can I leave the downlighters underneath the insulation or should I
remove the insulation above the downlighters to prevent heat build up?
Maximum lamp wattage will be 35W.

Thanks

They should be sealed boxed in above the light to stop the damp from
the bathroom going up their and rotting the roof timbers. You can
leave the insulation above the box the heat can dissipate downwards
into the room. Use plasterboard and fire proof mastic to construct the
box.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DIY-Not wrote:
This weekend I'll be fitting some LV halogen downlighters in the
bathroom. So I'll be cutting holes in the ceiling into the attic
which is currently insulated with 200mm of rockwool.

Can I leave the downlighters underneath the insulation or should I
remove the insulation above the downlighters to prevent heat build up?
Maximum lamp wattage will be 35W.

Someone's been watching too much facile TV. Reasonable striplight(s) if
a large room or if smaller, a ceiling located CFL is adequate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 22:33:38 GMT, "clot" wrote:

DIY-Not wrote:
This weekend I'll be fitting some LV halogen downlighters in the
bathroom. So I'll be cutting holes in the ceiling into the attic
which is currently insulated with 200mm of rockwool.

Can I leave the downlighters underneath the insulation or should I
remove the insulation above the downlighters to prevent heat build up?
Maximum lamp wattage will be 35W.

Someone's been watching too much facile TV. Reasonable striplight(s) if
a large room or if smaller, a ceiling located CFL is adequate.

What I choose to install in my own bathroom is not your concern. If
you wish to post some useful advice on installing downlighters then
please go ahead. Otherwise f*ck off, muppet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
FKruger writes:
On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 16:20:50 +0100, DIY-Not wrote:

This weekend I'll be fitting some LV halogen downlighters in the
bathroom. So I'll be cutting holes in the ceiling into the attic
which is currently insulated with 200mm of rockwool.

Can I leave the downlighters underneath the insulation or should I
remove the insulation above the downlighters to prevent heat build up?
Maximum lamp wattage will be 35W.

They should be sealed boxed in above the light to stop the damp from
the bathroom going up their and rotting the roof timbers. You can
leave the insulation above the box the heat can dissipate downwards
into the room. Use plasterboard and fire proof mastic to construct the
box.

Almost about all the downlighters you can buy are designed to dump
the heat above the ceiling. Don't do this with one of those.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DIY-Not wrote:
This weekend I'll be fitting some LV halogen downlighters in the
bathroom. So I'll be cutting holes in the ceiling into the attic
which is currently insulated with 200mm of rockwool.

Can I leave the downlighters underneath the insulation or should I
remove the insulation above the downlighters to prevent heat build up?
Maximum lamp wattage will be 35W.

Someone's been watching too much facile TV. Reasonable striplight(s) if
a large room or if smaller, a ceiling located CFL is adequate.

What I choose to install in my own bathroom is not your concern. If
you wish to post some useful advice on installing downlighters then
please go ahead. Otherwise f*ck off, muppet.

If you were particularly concerned about compromising a fire break, then
there are products that address this as well:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FRSH01CBR.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 06/09/2007 17:45 John Rumm wrote:

Stick a traditional flower pot over each on. That will allow some heat
to vent and stop them getting smothered in insulation.

Not wanting to get this wrong so what size?

I've got some 50W in the bathroom and kitchen ceilings that seem to
attract woodlice which are subsequently grilled on the glass cover after
falling into the fitting!

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
On 06/09/2007 17:45 John Rumm wrote:

Stick a traditional flower pot over each on. That will allow some
heat to vent and stop them getting smothered in insulation.

Not wanting to get this wrong so what size?

I've got some 50W in the bathroom and kitchen ceilings that seem to
attract woodlice which are subsequently grilled on the glass cover after
falling into the fitting!

Its not that critical - a terracotta flow pot won't melt, and has a hole
in the top. So long as it is big enough to cove the back of the fitting
with a bit of space to spare it will allow some heat to escape.

--
Cheers,

John.