Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default shed heating

Hi all,

I have a 12x8 wooden shed that I have insulated and boarded out inside
with ply. I want to keep rust from my tools and stop papers wrinkling
etc over the winter months. What is the best option to achieve this? A
fan heater on a stat (I have a fan heater atm) or buy one of these
'frost watcher' type heaters? Or something else entirely? What do you do
? I also dont want to run the thing un-necessarily, but i do want to
achieve my goal as stated above.

TIA

Gerry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a 12x8 wooden shed that I have insulated and boarded out inside
with ply. I want to keep rust from my tools and stop papers wrinkling
etc over the winter months. What is the best option to achieve this?

I'm no expert on this - something like a Philips Thermotube perhaps ?

You can get them in various lenghts, and give off 60W per foot lenth
of tube.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd have thought a dehumidifier would do a better job of protecting
tools and paper.

Or a smear of oil/grease/vaseline/wd40 on the tools and take the paper
indoors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 11:48:31 +0100 someone who may be gerry
wrote this:-

Hi all,

I have a 12x8 wooden shed that I have insulated and boarded out inside
with ply. I want to keep rust from my tools and stop papers wrinkling
etc over the winter months. What is the best option to achieve this?

Tubular heaters, connected to a thermostat.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

gerry wrote:

Hi all,

I have a 12x8 wooden shed that I have insulated and boarded out inside
with ply. I want to keep rust from my tools and stop papers wrinkling
etc over the winter months. What is the best option to achieve this? A
fan heater on a stat (I have a fan heater atm) or buy one of these
'frost watcher' type heaters? Or something else entirely? What do you do
? I also dont want to run the thing un-necessarily, but i do want to
achieve my goal as stated above.

A dehumidifier would achieve the same result or better. If the tools can
be in a fairly enclosed space these are good:
http://enginewise.co.uk/vapour-seal/vapourseal.html

Axminster used to do them but I can't find them now. I use them in my
tool cupboards and drawers in a garage workshop and they do what it says
on the tin.

Peter

www.the-brights.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

gerry wrote:
Hi all,

I have a 12x8 wooden shed that I have insulated and boarded out inside
with ply. I want to keep rust from my tools and stop papers wrinkling
etc over the winter months. What is the best option to achieve this? A
fan heater on a stat (I have a fan heater atm) or buy one of these
'frost watcher' type heaters? Or something else entirely? What do you do
? I also dont want to run the thing un-necessarily, but i do want to
achieve my goal as stated above.

A media server nicely keeps my shed heated...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Sep, 11:48, gerry wrote:
Hi all,

I have a 12x8 wooden shed that I have insulated and boarded out inside
with ply. I want to keep rust from my tools and stop papers wrinkling
etc over the winter months. What is the best option to achieve this? A
fan heater on a stat (I have a fan heater atm) or buy one of these
'frost watcher' type heaters? Or something else entirely? What do you do
? I also dont want to run the thing un-necessarily, but i do want to
achieve my goal as stated above.

TIA

Gerry

I am curious about your concern over tools rusting as I have a similar
size of shed (concrete floor, no dpc, 18ft by 7 by 8 high, attached to
a stone cottage) which only in relatively recent years has been
insulated and I've never had a problem with tools rusting - and I'm in
Scotland. I don't take any preventative action either - my new
chisels are in a box but all the old ones and anything else, and we're
talking about 35 years old, are in various bench drawers, hanging
systems, etc.

About 10 years ago I insulated with expanded polystryrene, which does
mean that the heater didn't have to work so hard to get me warm, but
if you are having a problem with items rusting, then I think you need
to look as to where the moisture is coming from. I may well be that
your ground moisture level is higher than mine for instance.

However having said that, I about to replace my ancient workshop
convector with one of these from TLC.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HE2TCHT.html

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 11:48:31 +0100, gerry wrote:

Hi all,

I have a 12x8 wooden shed that I have insulated and boarded out inside
with ply. I want to keep rust from my tools and stop papers wrinkling
etc over the winter months. What is the best option to achieve this? A
fan heater on a stat (I have a fan heater atm) or buy one of these
'frost watcher' type heaters? Or something else entirely? What do you do
? I also dont want to run the thing un-necessarily, but i do want to
achieve my goal as stated above.

I had problems with condensation in my workshop - I found that a small
fan heater left running on low is far more effective than a static
heater.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2007 12:52, Adrian C wrote:

A media server nicely keeps my shed heated...

and keeps your lounge muted?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
On 5 Sep, 11:48, gerry wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all the replies.

Rob I am also in Scotland (West) and to be honest with you I was
pre-empting a solution to this potential problem as I am only just
finished kitting the shed out. My fears are born from a friends
experience with his brick built outhouse - tools in there rust and
papers curl etc which I would really like to avoid. Maybe I am jumping
the gun trying to find a solution to a non existent problem. I will
leave it be for the time being and adjust the heating requirements if
required.

Thanks all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

gerry wrote:
robgraham wrote:
On 5 Sep, 11:48, gerry wrote:
[...]

On reflection maybe my tools would rust in my pergola no matter how good
a heater i put in there?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
On 05/09/2007 12:52, Adrian C wrote:

A media server nicely keeps my shed heated...

and keeps your lounge muted?

Nah.... Squeezebox plays at volume setting 11 over there...
http://www.slimdevices.com

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

gerry wrote:

I have a 12x8 wooden shed that I have insulated and boarded out inside
with ply. I want to keep rust from my tools and stop papers wrinkling
etc over the winter months. What is the best option to achieve this? A
fan heater on a stat (I have a fan heater atm) or buy one of these
'frost watcher' type heaters? Or something else entirely? What do you do
? I also dont want to run the thing un-necessarily, but i do want to
achieve my goal as stated above.

In my similarly insulated workshop I have a 2kW wall mounted fan heater
connected via an ordinary horstman room stat. The heater is left
switched on to its 800W setting, under control of the stat which is set
to about 5 degrees. That seems to work perfectly and stops any dew
forming in the shed.

(in fact I don't find the need to turn the power up on the heater when I
am in there in the winter - just tweak the stat up to 15 and it soon
gets there)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I built a tool cupboard with a shadow board in it. Then I put a few sachets
of silica gel in the bottom . I can now find my tools easy, see if any have
been "borrowed" and they don't rust .

Sam
"John Rumm" wrote in message
gerry wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sam Farrell wrote:

I built a tool cupboard with a shadow board in it. Then I put a few sachets
of silica gel in the bottom . I can now find my tools easy, see if any have
been "borrowed" and they don't rust .

My workshop *is* my tool cupboard.... never seems to be enough room to
actually work in there these days anyway!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Sep, 13:39, gerry wrote:
robgraham wrote:
On 5 Sep, 11:48, gerry wrote:
[...]

I would suggest it's the 'brick built', and probably lacking any DPC,
etc. I do have to be a little bit more proactive against rust for
the items in our brick bike shed, but only in using WD40 and the
likes.

By the way I ordered the heater from TLC yesterday and it has come in
this morning - give them a plug in the passing.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 5 Sep, 13:39, gerry wrote:
robgraham wrote:
On 5 Sep, 11:48, gerry wrote:
[...]

Air. Make sure the shed is ventilated. Drill holes low down at one end and
high up at the other (or whatever). Cover with a grille if you are bothered
about looks. Tools should be fine then but any that have unweathered
surfaces (saw blades, well used spade blades etc) spray with WD40 before
storage for winter.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)