Posted to uk.d-i-y
ALP ALP is offline

Default Recommend me a Vacuum..

Hi - I know this is not strictly DIY but its the closest newsgroup I can
find.

We have a major problem. All of the vacuum cleaners we buy break within a
few months - the one we have now: http://tinyurl.com/2voxwl

I am looking to to get something for a similar price range - that will last
for a long time.

It needs to be

1) Fairly lightweight and compact and easy to move around - the one we have
is bulky and a nightmare to move around the house

2) Roughly around £100 again

3) Reliable and hardcore so it doesn't break within a year again!

4) Preferably available at Argos as I am taking orus back and they might
allow a swap or something.

So far I have thought of 3 names- Bosch, Miele and Henry.

My thoughts

Bosch http://tinyurl.com/2mlvfj - well its a Bosch innit? I know they are
known for reliability in washing mahcines and DIY tools etc

Henry - http://tinyurl.com/2v24rc - looks ab it childish but I hear they are
very good.

Miele - I hear they are great for Vacuum cleaners and although I doubt mine
will last 20 years liek they say their average cleaners do I might give them
a go. I remember eyars ago going to a shop and they were very highly priced
but now there are a couple under £150. I am thinking of this one:
http://tinyurl.com/3xcocr

There are 2 other Mieles on there for £140 but not sure if the extra price
increase is worth it.

Any advice?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ALP
scribeth thus
[...]

Not bad..

Miele - I hear they are great for Vacuum cleaners and although I doubt mine
will last 20 years liek they say their average cleaners do I might give them
a go. I remember eyars ago going to a shop and they were very highly priced
but now there are a couple under £150. I am thinking of this one:
http://tinyurl.com/3xcocr

There are 2 other Mieles on there for £140 but not sure if the extra price
increase is worth it.

Any advice?

Thanks

Yes deffo!, Miele every time.. not that there will need to be many times
we just give them away to children who leave home
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes deffo!, Miele every time.. not that there will need to be many times
we just give them away to children who leave home
--
Tony Sayer

My son had the Bosch. It was well made but very, very badly designed.
So much so that the Bosch rep gave him a full refund with 2 weeks left
on the guarantee. He's now got a Meile and is very pleased with it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"ALP" writes:
Hi - I know this is not strictly DIY but its the closest newsgroup I can
find.

We have a major problem. All of the vacuum cleaners we buy break within a
few months - the one we have now: http://tinyurl.com/2voxwl

Might be useful to know just how they've all broken...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ALP ALP is offline

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"ALP" writes:
Hi - I know this is not strictly DIY but its the closest newsgroup I can
find.

We have a major problem. All of the vacuum cleaners we buy break within a
few months - the one we have now: http://tinyurl.com/2voxwl

Might be useful to know just how they've all broken...

They just lose suction - dunno why...

Sometimes our house gets messy when we have visitors (children etc) - but
I'd say use is still average - once a day I guess.

I was all set to go for the Henry due to ladas of raving reviews on Amazon!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ALP" wrote in message
[...]

Where are you? I have a upright Kirby you can have,it only needs a new outer
bag.
Its not lightweight but it will suck up your cat with no problems. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ALP" writes:
Hi - I know this is not strictly DIY but its the closest newsgroup I can
find.

We have a major problem. All of the vacuum cleaners we buy break within a
few months - the one we have now: http://tinyurl.com/2voxwl

Might be useful to know just how they've all broken...

They just lose suction - dunno why...

Any vacuum is going to need occasional attention to keep
it in good condition. Are you perhaps never doing this?

Sometimes our house gets messy when we have visitors (children etc) - but

Do they get stuck in the hose? ;-)

I'd say use is still average - once a day I guess.

I was all set to go for the Henry due to ladas of raving reviews on Amazon!

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 21:33:52 UTC, "ALP" wrote:

Might be useful to know just how they've all broken...

They just lose suction - dunno why...

Aha. You *have* been emptying them??? :-)

I was all set to go for the Henry due to ladas of raving reviews on Amazon!

Usually lots of people say 'go for the Henry' when this question is
asked. Doubt you'll get a Miele for a hundred quid. I'd get a Henry
(well, I would...if I didn't already *have* one!)

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...
[...]

Our Dyson here at home has always been reliable, but one of my clients
shifts an awful lot of henrys to the council and trade (the attrition
rate is normally due to them not shutting van doors properly and them
falling out near their mates houses I believe)
--
Alex Threlfall
Cyberprog New Media
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ALP wrote:
Hi - I know this is not strictly DIY but its the closest newsgroup I
can find.

We have a major problem. All of the vacuum cleaners we buy break
within a few months - the one we have now: http://tinyurl.com/2voxwl

Errrm!

It needs to be

1) Fairly lightweight and compact and easy to move around - the one
we have is bulky and a nightmare to move around the house

2) Roughly around £100 again

3) Reliable and hardcore so it doesn't break within a year again!

4) Preferably available at Argos as I am taking orus back and they
might allow a swap or something.

So far I have thought of 3 names- Bosch, Miele and Henry.

My thoughts

Bosch http://tinyurl.com/2mlvfj - well its a Bosch innit? I know they
are known for reliability in washing mahcines and DIY tools etc

Likely not made by Bosch, maybe badged.

Henry - http://tinyurl.com/2v24rc - looks ab it childish but I hear
they are very good.

And made in UK, cheap bags, cheap easy to get parts.

Miele - I hear they are great for Vacuum cleaners and although I
doubt mine will last 20 years liek they say their average cleaners do

Doubt if any vac will last 20 years, don't rate Miele that highly anyway.

Any advice?

Yes. Think about the daily office cleaning market. Machines used 5/6 days
a week, 2 hours a day, abused, not maintained, used by idiots 98% of the
time. What machine do the top 50 contract cleaning contractors in the UK
use? Whats the number one vac in the commercial cleaning market by a huge
margin?

Numatic Henry or varients http://www.numatic.co.uk/

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ALP wrote:
Hi - I know this is not strictly DIY but its the closest newsgroup I can
find.

We have a major problem. All of the vacuum cleaners we buy break within
a few months - the one we have now: http://tinyurl.com/2voxwl

I am looking to to get something for a similar price range - that will
last for a long time.

About 10 years ago I bought a Panasonic - the then Which best buy. All
it's had since then is one drive belt replaced - although the light no
longer works. This despite a cleaning lady who is a Dyson fan and tries
her best to break it. ;-) Only complaint is it's very noisy.

--
*Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid altogether *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-04 22:37:27 +0100, "George" said:

Where are you? I have a upright Kirby you can have,it only needs a new outer
bag.
Its not lightweight but it will suck up your cat with no problems. :-)

Apparently these achieve their power because both the machine and the
operator are suckers......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ALP" wrote in message
[...]

Brought a Henry a couple of years ago and a fantastic hoover. Sucks up till
the bag is ready to burst.

Andrew.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Yes. Think about the daily office cleaning market. Machines used 5/6 days
a week, 2 hours a day, abused, not maintained, used by idiots 98% of the
time. What machine do the top 50 contract cleaning contractors in the UK
use? Whats the number one vac in the commercial cleaning market by a huge
margin?

Numatic Henry or varients http://www.numatic.co.uk/

My working hours mean I'm still around when cleaners are
doing their rounds, just about everywhere I've worked.
I don't recall ever seeing Numatic Henry's being used,
unless they have industrial cleaners which don't look
anything like the classic Henry. Next time one's going
past, I might try and see what make it is.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Gabriel
scribeth thus

"ALP" writes:
Hi - I know this is not strictly DIY but its the closest newsgroup I can
find.

We have a major problem. All of the vacuum cleaners we buy break within a
few months - the one we have now: http://tinyurl.com/2voxwl

Might be useful to know just how they've all broken...

They just lose suction - dunno why...

Any vacuum is going to need occasional attention to keep
it in good condition. Are you perhaps never doing this?

The only attention our Miele needs is the bag changing!...

Sometimes our house gets messy when we have visitors (children etc) - but

Do they get stuck in the hose? ;-)

The suck that things got;!, its amazing what goes down there!..

I'd say use is still average - once a day I guess.

I was all set to go for the Henry due to ladas of raving reviews on Amazon!

Henry isn't a bad lad either. We used to have one but he didn't look
stylish enough;!.. ...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-04 22:37:27 +0100, "George" said:

Where are you? I have a upright Kirby you can have,it only needs a new

outer
bag.
Its not lightweight but it will suck up your cat with no problems. :-)

Apparently these achieve their power because both the machine and the
operator are suckers......

MrHall this upright has been going for 25 years in that time it only had the
belt changed and now the outer dust bag wants changing.

ps I got given it 25 years ago does that make me a sucker as opposed to a
tool freak who lashes out oodles on joe brand tools.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 21:33:52 UTC, "ALP" wrote:

Might be useful to know just how they've all broken...

They just lose suction - dunno why...

Aha. You *have* been emptying them??? :-)

I was all set to go for the Henry due to ladas of raving reviews on
Amazon!

Usually lots of people say 'go for the Henry' when this question is
asked. Doubt you'll get a Miele for a hundred quid. I'd get a Henry
(well, I would...if I didn't already *have* one!)

http://www.diybanter.com

I got my Henry from the dumpit site for £4. It worked for 20 mins and then
stopped. Took it all to pieces which was really easy. Cleaned it all and is
now the best cleaner that I have ever had.
--
the_constructor

Don't tip it, recycle it. Join your local group.

http://freecycle.org/display.php?reg...ited%20Kingdom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Yes. Think about the daily office cleaning market. Machines used
5/6 days a week, 2 hours a day, abused, not maintained, used by
idiots 98% of the time. What machine do the top 50 contract
cleaning contractors in the UK use? Whats the number one vac in the
commercial cleaning market by a huge margin?

Numatic Henry or varients http://www.numatic.co.uk/

My working hours mean I'm still around when cleaners are
doing their rounds, just about everywhere I've worked.
I don't recall ever seeing Numatic Henry's being used,
unless they have industrial cleaners which don't look
anything like the classic Henry. Next time one's going
past, I might try and see what make it is.

They have a big range, many use the metal version of the Henry. A lot of
the larger companies have them made in their corporate colours & logo's.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 17:06:10 UTC, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Yes. Think about the daily office cleaning market. Machines used
5/6 days a week, 2 hours a day, abused, not maintained, used by
idiots 98% of the time. What machine do the top 50 contract
cleaning contractors in the UK use? Whats the number one vac in the
commercial cleaning market by a huge margin?

Numatic Henry or varients http://www.numatic.co.uk/

My working hours mean I'm still around when cleaners are
doing their rounds, just about everywhere I've worked.
I don't recall ever seeing Numatic Henry's being used,
unless they have industrial cleaners which don't look
anything like the classic Henry. Next time one's going
past, I might try and see what make it is.

They have a big range, many use the metal version of the Henry. A lot of
the larger companies have them made in their corporate colours & logo's.

They used to use Nilfisks at work, but most of them seem to be Henrys
these days. Big site (300 acres although they don't vacuum all the
grass...!)

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC DJC is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Doubt if any vac will last 20 years, don't rate Miele that highly anyway.

My AEG has just died, first thing I bought when I moved in here, lasted
22 years.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
djc writes:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Doubt if any vac will last 20 years, don't rate Miele that highly anyway.

My AEG has just died, first thing I bought when I moved in here, lasted
22 years.

~50 year old Hoover Constellation still running like new
(I'll have to ask my parents exactly how old it is).
Must admit it hasn't had much use in last 7 years (due to
buying a Dyson), but it was in constant use prior to that,
first by my parents, and then by me.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ALP" wrote in message

We have a major problem. All of the vacuum cleaners we buy break
within a few months - the one we have now: http://tinyurl.com/2voxwl

I am looking to to get something for a similar price range - that will
last for a long time.

snip

Henry - http://tinyurl.com/2v24rc - looks ab it childish but I hear
they are very good.

I know people rave about the Henry, but let me express a dissenting
view. We have a Henry with the electrically-powered beater head.

It's heavy and awkward to carry, particularly up and down stairs. The
secondary filter is huge, and seems to squash the bag down
unnecessarily. It's noisy. The airflow seems lower than the Morphy
Richards cleaner it replaced - not surprisingly, since it's nominal
power is less. The head and tube assembly falls over if you let go of
it - for instance while moving furniture, despite locking into an
upright position that requires the user to stand on the (not his) head
to return it to its normal position - which it does with such a load
crack that soon, surely, the bit of plastic is going to break.

The main unit falls over too easily if you drag it over door thresholds.
The electrical contacts for the power beater in the various sections of
the handle often make intermittent contact. It takes several passes
over small pieces of lint or fluff on a carpet to pick them up - and
then doesn't always succeed. The crevice tool, upholstery tool, and
brush, all require an adaptor to fit them to the handle. The only tool
storage is a canvas bag. The lid release mechanism (for bag changing)
is crude.

Its strengths are its long reach (hose plus flex), and easily-available
bags and filters. Otherwise, it seems yet another example of an
industrial tool that's been to the toy-makers to produce something that
looks a bit like the original, but isn't a patch on it.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

We bought a Miele about 5 years ago off the back of a Which? report.
Works well (according to the wife) and is damn quite which is a bonus when
she decides to hoover when I'm watching the TV. Should it break wouldn't
hesitate to buy another one

HTH

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Talking of Mieles - we have a Cat and Dog which has worked fine for
some time. Today, however, as I used it it sounded a bit noisier than
usual, then it suddenly cut out and a small red light near the power
switch came on. (This isn't the bag full indicator. It has never
come on before.) Now, when I apply power, nothing happens, no motor,
and the red light comes on after a couple of seconds. I can't lay my
hands on the manual - can some kind person with access to same please
tell me what the red light means? An even greater act of kindness
would be to tell me how to fix it...

thanks,
Andrew.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
Andrew Haylett writes
Talking of Mieles - we have a Cat and Dog which has worked fine for
some time. Today, however, as I used it it sounded a bit noisier than
usual, then it suddenly cut out and a small red light near the power
switch came on. (This isn't the bag full indicator. It has never
come on before.) Now, when I apply power, nothing happens, no motor,
and the red light comes on after a couple of seconds. I can't lay my
hands on the manual - can some kind person with access to same please
tell me what the red light means? An even greater act of kindness
would be to tell me how to fix it...

assuming I've found the correct model, that's the Overheating warning
light - from p35 of the manual:

"The vacuum cleaner has switched
itself off automatically
A temperature limiter switches the
vacuum cleaner off automatically if it
gets too hot. Some models also have a
warning light , which comes on to
indicate that it has overheated.
Overheating can occur if, for instance,
large articles block the suction tube or
the dustbag is full or contains particles
of fine dust. A heavily soiled exhaust or
dust compartment filter can also be the
cause of overheating. Switch off the
vacuum cleaner using the On-Off
switch.
After removing the cause, wait for a
period of approx. 20 - 30 minutes, to
allow the vacuum cleaner to cool down.
It can then be switched on again."

http://www.miele.co.uk/Resources/Ope...0571_Allervac%
20_Cat%20and%20Dog%20TT_Solution%20Hepa%20TT_X%20P ower_XXL.pdf

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Sep, 00:34, Si $3o&m wrote:
In message . com,
Andrew Haylett writesTalking of Mieles - we have a Cat and Dog which has worked fine for
some time. Today, however, as I used it it sounded a bit noisier than
usual, then it suddenly cut out and a small red light near the power
switch came on. (This isn't the bag full indicator. It has never
come on before.) Now, when I apply power, nothing happens, no motor,
and the red light comes on after a couple of seconds. I can't lay my
hands on the manual - can some kind person with access to same please
tell me what the red light means? An even greater act of kindness
would be to tell me how to fix it...

assuming I've found the correct model, that's the Overheating warning
light - from p35 of the manual:

many thanks for the reference (I admit I should have been able to find
it myself!)

The red light never goes out, no sign of life from the motor, so I
don't think it's simple thermal cutout. Miele's diagnosis is 'broken
motor, send us unit + £99 and we'll fix it'. Err, no thanks. I'd
rather buy a new one (probably not Miele - I know they have a good
reputation, but once bitten, twice shy). I may take it apart first,
though - nothing to lose.

Andrew.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Haylett wrote:
On 9 Sep, 00:34, Si $3o&m wrote:
[...]

Thats the beauty of Numatic - cheap parts - new motor around £50.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 13, 1:56 pm, Andrew Haylett wrote:
On 9 Sep, 00:34, Si $3o&m wrote:

[...]

No, you must buy a Miele, they're the best, plenty of people will tell
you, you obviuusly misused it ;-)

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 5, 12:03 am, "The Medway Handyman"
don't rate Miele that highly anyway.

You will be tried for heresy ;-)

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-13 13:56:25 +0100, Andrew Haylett said:

On 9 Sep, 00:34, Si $3o&m wrote:
[...]

You also get new tools and anything else that is required plus a set of
bags and collection and delivery.

This is an excellent deal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Sep, 21:29, "Autolycus" wrote:
I know people rave about the Henry, but let me express a dissenting
view. We have a Henry with the electrically-powered beater head.

I have one with the suction-powered brush head (bought as an add-on).

It's heavy and awkward to carry, particularly up and down stairs.

It's not light, and is definitely designed to be used on the flat, but
the weight comes from the strength of the components.

The secondary filter is huge, and seems to squash the bag down
unnecessarily.

It squashes back up when the bag is full.

It's noisy.

Mine's the quitest cleaner I've ever used. I can usually hear the
radio over it, never known that before. It's much quiter than the
Dyson they used to use here at work.

The main unit falls over too easily if you drag it over door thresholds.

Seconded, especially if the bag's empty, no weight to stabilise it.
Also, it always catches on doorframes or corners if you try to drag it
through, which is very annoying.

The lid release mechanism (for bag changing) is crude.

But it works...

Its strengths are its long reach (hose plus flex)

Yes indeed, I can clean the whole house from a socket in the hall.
And the hose is long enough to do the whole stairs from the bottomm or
top.

Otherwise, it seems yet another example of an
industrial tool that's been to the toy-makers to produce something that
looks a bit like the original, but isn't a patch on it.

But it is the original, isn't it?

I bought one because my wife is hard on things, and it's 7 years old
and working fine. I used it to clean up huge amounts of dust and
rubble in the loft once and it stopped when it overheated, but once it
cooled just carried on as before.

And my kids love turning the knob to coil the flex back in.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Sep, 00:34, Si $3o&m wrote:

[...]

Just to follow up on this, I took it apart and found one component
(looks like it might be the thermal cutout switch) with one of its two
legs not quite soldered properly to the PCB. Resoldering it kicked
the machine back into life. Now I can treat myself to a £99 gift.
The motor still sounds noisier than usual. I wonder if it needs
lubrication of some kind.

Andrew.