Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Exterior grade chipboard?

I've just had a flat roof on an outbuilding extended and re-felted and
can see that part of the fascia (?) has been constructed using
chipboard. The chipboard goes under the felt and then extends
downwards by around 8 inches to the gutter with this bottom section
being exposed to the elements. I've know idea if the chipboard is an
exterior grade or not.

Chipboard itself isn't an issue since the section is out of sight at
the rear of the outbuilding, however I did wonder whether chipboard
(even if it is an external grade) is a suitable material for something
that is constantly and directly exposed to the weather?

Thanks!

Colin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
I've just had a flat roof on an outbuilding extended and re-felted and
can see that part of the fascia (?) has been constructed using
chipboard. The chipboard goes under the felt and then extends
downwards by around 8 inches to the gutter with this bottom section
being exposed to the elements. I've know idea if the chipboard is an
exterior grade or not.

Will not make any difference in your situation

Chipboard itself isn't an issue since the section is out of sight at
the rear of the outbuilding,

Could be the answer as to why it's done in chipboard!

however I did wonder whether chipboard
(even if it is an external grade) is a suitable material for something
that is constantly and directly exposed to the weather?

No it is not suitable, unless totally covered in a waterproof barrier, i.e.
felt and bitumin etc. The exposed chipboard will expand in the first
rainfall and fall to pieces before Xmas. Speak to the builders/roofers and
get it done properly.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 3, 11:55 am, "John" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Many thanks John.
I've contacted the roofer and its apparently OSB (Stirling) board
rather than chipboard. Said roofer suggests that this is OK once
painted?

Colin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

Many thanks John.
I've contacted the roofer and its apparently OSB (Stirling) board
rather than chipboard. Said roofer suggests that this is OK once
painted?

Colin

Did you tell him you cant get behind it to paint it? lol
This will rot in time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 3, 11:55 am, "John" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Sterling board is used by every glazing co to board up broken windows and
windows on empty buildings to prevent them being broken.

It looks pretty tacky once it gets old but does not fall to bits in the wet

Tony

Would last at least as well as softwood & paints up ok