Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hardcore too big, can I concrete it in?

Hello. I hope yer all well.

I'm laying a 20ft x 9ft concrete base for a concrete garage. There's quite
a slope to contend with, and one end of the garage is over a foot deep.

I have hardcore, but it's made of quite big lumps, some of which are half-
brick size.

My concern is that the depth of hardcore at the deep end will be
susceptible to settling because of the bigitudiness of my hardcore. So my
question is, will pooring concrete around the hardcore while laying it give
it enough strenght? My immediate thinking is yes.

Any thoughts or experiences you can share? I've searched groups.google and
not really seen anything dealing with a similar situation.

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers,

Mal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mal
Jackson scribeth thus
Hello. I hope yer all well.

I'm laying a 20ft x 9ft concrete base for a concrete garage. There's quite
a slope to contend with, and one end of the garage is over a foot deep.

I have hardcore, but it's made of quite big lumps, some of which are half-
brick size.

My concern is that the depth of hardcore at the deep end will be
susceptible to settling because of the bigitudiness of my hardcore. So my
question is, will pooring concrete around the hardcore while laying it give
it enough strenght? My immediate thinking is yes.

Any thoughts or experiences you can share? I've searched groups.google and
not really seen anything dealing with a similar situation.

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers,

Mal.

Received wisdom is as long as its wacked down and a wacker plate is
doing that, then there should be a problem. Its quite surprising just
how much one of them can get it down much further than you think!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
[...]

If it's really big lumps though you'll need something a tad smaller to
get it all to bed in together. BTW my 150kg diesel Wacker plate would
crush your half brick sized bits to generate suitable infill G

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 29, 12:22 pm, Mal Jackson wrote:
Hello. I hope yer all well.

I'm laying a 20ft x 9ft concrete base for a concrete garage. There's quite
a slope to contend with, and one end of the garage is over a foot deep.

I have hardcore, but it's made of quite big lumps, some of which are half-
brick size.

My concern is that the depth of hardcore at the deep end will be
susceptible to settling because of the bigitudiness of my hardcore. So my
question is, will pooring concrete around the hardcore while laying it give
it enough strenght? My immediate thinking is yes.

Any thoughts or experiences you can share? I've searched groups.google and
not really seen anything dealing with a similar situation.

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers,

Mal.

I'd wack a layer into the ground, then mix the limps of hardcore into
the concrete as I lay it, so it all gets bonded together.

No idea if this is the correct answer, but it saves a lot of mixing,
and a lot of chucking stuff away, and to my thinking its all bonded
together.

Rick

Pre-compacted hardcore thickness Fitz UK diy 3 June 2nd 06 05:28 PM
Hardcore needed for hardstanding? Franko UK diy 11 April 21st 06 12:26 AM
Hardcore & Type 1 david lang UK diy 6 November 29th 05 07:38 AM
hardcore.. Paul Andrews UK diy 1 August 6th 05 05:37 PM
Compacting my hardcore! Lobster UK diy 12 April 1st 05 01:00 AM