Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Hardcore too big, can I concrete it in?

In article , Mal
Jackson scribeth thus
Hello. I hope yer all well.

I'm laying a 20ft x 9ft concrete base for a concrete garage. There's quite
a slope to contend with, and one end of the garage is over a foot deep.

I have hardcore, but it's made of quite big lumps, some of which are half-
brick size.

My concern is that the depth of hardcore at the deep end will be
susceptible to settling because of the bigitudiness of my hardcore. So my
question is, will pooring concrete around the hardcore while laying it give
it enough strenght? My immediate thinking is yes.

Any thoughts or experiences you can share? I've searched groups.google and
not really seen anything dealing with a similar situation.

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers,

Mal.

Received wisdom is as long as its wacked down and a wacker plate is
doing that, then there should be a problem. Its quite surprising just
how much one of them can get it down much further than you think!...
--
Tony Sayer