Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Multiblade razors are a huge ripoff

Am I the only one that finds it impossible to shave with multiblade
razors? They just clog up immediately with hair and soap. Hopeless.

And yet these we have to suffer 2, 4, 5, even 6 blade razors claiming
to be "smoother still"

What happened to the simple single blade disposable razors that
actually WORKED????

Am I missing something or has the world gone mad.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"Eusebius" wrote in message
oups.com...
Am I the only one that finds it impossible to shave with multiblade
razors? They just clog up immediately with hair and soap. Hopeless.

And yet these we have to suffer 2, 4, 5, even 6 blade razors claiming
to be "smoother still"

What happened to the simple single blade disposable razors that
actually WORKED????

Am I missing something or has the world gone mad.

Why would any one want a single blade bic anyway

Shave like a real man and get one of these

http://www.carterandbond.com/browse....,%20Cut-Throat

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eusebius pretended :
What happened to the simple single blade disposable razors that
actually WORKED????

It used to be common to fit two blades into those replaceable bladed
wet razors, to improves the closeness of the shave - so the idea is
basically sound. Like you I can't help but wonder at the need for more
than two blades and every time they increase the number of blades, you
need a complete new kit. Seems the idea is to get you to keep buying
new kit each time.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-28 22:52:00 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
said:

Eusebius pretended :
What happened to the simple single blade disposable razors that
actually WORKED????

It used to be common to fit two blades into those replaceable bladed
wet razors, to improves the closeness of the shave - so the idea is
basically sound. Like you I can't help but wonder at the need for more
than two blades and every time they increase the number of blades, you
need a complete new kit. Seems the idea is to get you to keep buying
new kit each time.

Except that the margin is in the blades, not the handle.

Actually, I quite like them. I just binned the green one and bought
the orange one. I don't know what the products are called or really
care too much. However, the orange one seems to work better than the
green.

I only buy them because I can't be doing with those foil electric
things that fall apart or the Philips electric condoms that don't work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Am I the only one that finds it impossible to shave with multiblade
razors? They just clog up immediately with hair and soap. Hopeless.

Apparently so - I quite like the Mach3, and don't find they clog at
all.

Certain supermarket own-brands are a nightmare though - Morrisons do
(did ?) a triple blade, and they were horrendous. The depth of the
head was too short to allow it to flow* with the contours of the face,
and instead cut you to ribbons.

* the spring against the head was also too stiff, but a longer
training edge on the blades might have helped give it sufficient
leverage not to require you to gouge yourself to flex the head

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 23:17:01 +0100, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:

Am I the only one that finds it impossible to shave with multiblade
razors? They just clog up immediately with hair and soap. Hopeless.

Apparently so - I quite like the Mach3, and don't find they clog at
all.

I also use the Mach 3. As long as you rinse the 'blade' thoroughly
after use it seems to last weeks :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I also use the Mach 3. As long as you rinse the 'blade' thoroughly
after use it seems to last weeks :-)

thanks for the tip - any other satisfied shavers that can recommend
their favourite weapon?

Best I know is good old Wilkinson sword blades in the original safety
razor.

Worst is the yellow BIC replaceables with 2 blades.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.carterandbond.com/browse....g:Razors,%20Cu...

Tony

Does anybody on this ng actually use a cut-throat?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 21:15:49 -0000, Eusebius wrote:

Am I the only one that finds it impossible to shave with multiblade
razors? They just clog up immediately with hair and soap. Hopeless.

And yet these we have to suffer 2, 4, 5, even 6 blade razors claiming
to be "smoother still"

What happened to the simple single blade disposable razors that
actually WORKED????

Am I missing something or has the world gone mad.

I am a razor 'junkie' and must have tried most of them over the last 50
years. You are right that multi blade razors are a rip-off, but in my
experience the newest are often give the best shave. You should remember
that the two main companies 'trial' these machines for an extended period.
I currently use the latest Gillette Fusion Power. I used the Mach3 Power
before this. The main criterion which has made me change is the single
blade on the back of the head, which keeps the nose area clear.
However I have stopped using the power as I find this makes it skip some
whiskers and oil is a no-no as that really does block the multi-blades.
A brush with a cream called Ingram is my choice as its menthol makes
aftershave unnecessary and as some one said keeping the blade rinsedf stops
blockage.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eusebius wrote:
Am I the only one that finds it impossible to shave with multiblade
razors? They just clog up immediately with hair and soap. Hopeless.

And yet these we have to suffer 2, 4, 5, even 6 blade razors claiming
to be "smoother still"

What happened to the simple single blade disposable razors that
actually WORKED????

Am I missing something or has the world gone mad.

BIC Classic (NOT the "Sensitive" ones which rip me to bits) plus
Wilkinson's shaving oil (76p for 3 months) are all you need.

Another Dave

--
change nospam to f2s in e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
And yet these we have to suffer 2, 4, 5, even 6 blade razors claiming
to be "smoother still"

Obligatory link to the classic piece from The Onion: F**k Everything, We're
Doing Five Blades:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33930

There's probably some truth behind this as well: I think that the 2, 3, 4
"progress" is at least part marketing gimmick.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weapon of choice: Bic disposable yellow single blade sensitive skin.

They look the same as the bic yellow single blade standard model - so
there's no lubricating strip as you may expect. From my experience the
sensitive skin ones produce a more comfortable shave and last for
weeks - all for 10p a shot! The difference must be in the blade angle
or depth of cut.
Whatever you do, don't be tempted by cheap twin balded razors - the
space between the blades is a dead end, so get clogged from the first
stroke. The premium gillettes / wilkinson swords etc allow water to
flow between the multiblades allowing them to clear.
I also find disposable pivot heads pretty lacerating as the head
wobbles around causing lots of damage.

My 2 pence!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 00:48:57 +0100, Jim S wrote:

[...]

.... and which can give you a really nasty gouge if you're a bit casual
about returning to the top of the stroke. This is how I learned of the
presence of the single blade on the back edge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Eusebius" wrote in message
oups.com...
Am I the only one that finds it impossible to shave with multiblade
razors? They just clog up immediately with hair and soap. Hopeless.

And yet these we have to suffer 2, 4, 5, even 6 blade razors claiming
to be "smoother still"

What happened to the simple single blade disposable razors that
actually WORKED????

Am I missing something or has the world gone mad.

Does anyone have a friend that never needs to shave?...baldy armpits as
well!
I got a friend like that and I loathe the ****ing *******.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur2" wrote in message

"Eusebius" wrote in message
oups.com...
Am I the only one that finds it impossible to shave with multiblade
razors? They just clog up immediately with hair and soap. Hopeless.

And yet these we have to suffer 2, 4, 5, even 6 blade razors claiming
to be "smoother still"

What happened to the simple single blade disposable razors that
actually WORKED????

Am I missing something or has the world gone mad.

Does anyone have a friend that never needs to shave?...baldy armpits as
well!

I've had bald armpits since 1998 when I had radiation after breast cancer
surgery - but only one axilla was treated so I don't know why I'm bald under
both. Don't sweat there any more either, that's nice :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message t...
Am I the only one that finds it impossible to shave with multiblade
razors? They just clog up immediately with hair and soap. Hopeless.

Apparently so - I quite like the Mach3, and don't find they clog at
all.

Certain supermarket own-brands are a nightmare though - Morrisons do
(did ?) a triple blade, and they were horrendous. The depth of the
head was too short to allow it to flow* with the contours of the face,
and instead cut you to ribbons.

* the spring against the head was also too stiff, but a longer
training edge on the blades might have helped give it sufficient
leverage not to require you to gouge yourself to flex the head

I don't think I'll take up shaving!

Incidentally, among my mother's effects were two German cut throat razors in
boxes, one with papers telling me why it was the best in the world and
giving testimonials dated 1904 and 1906. Pity Spouse has a big beard.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Arthur2" wrote in message

"Eusebius" wrote in message
oups.com...
Am I the only one that finds it impossible to shave with multiblade
razors? They just clog up immediately with hair and soap. Hopeless.

And yet these we have to suffer 2, 4, 5, even 6 blade razors claiming
to be "smoother still"

What happened to the simple single blade disposable razors that
actually WORKED????

Am I missing something or has the world gone mad.

Does anyone have a friend that never needs to shave?...baldy armpits as
well!

I've had bald armpits since 1998 when I had radiation after breast cancer
surgery - but only one axilla was treated so I don't know why I'm bald
under both. Don't sweat there any more either, that's nice :-)

Mary

Lidl do triple blade disposibles for about 60p for 5.

Work fine. Use a couple of times and then discard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC DJC is offline

Another Dave wrote:
BIC Classic (NOT the "Sensitive" ones which rip me to bits) plus
Wilkinson's shaving oil (76p for 3 months) are all you need.

True, simplest is best. Stange thing is that if I buy Bic in Italy, or
France, or Switzerland they seem to work much better than the ones I buy
here. I am sure they must all originate in the same euro-factory
somewhere. Yet the uk ones are nasty things that always cut, buy them
abroad and they don't. Do they shove all the rejects in a bin marked
UK-ripoff?
Razor blades are one of those things I never pack going away, but find
their way into the luggage on return, so I have several years supply of
imported blades at the moment.

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 23:35:46 -0000, Eusebius
wrote:

http://www.carterandbond.com/browse....g:Razors,%20Cu...

Tony

Does anybody on this ng actually use a cut-throat?

There have been occasional suggestions to the more dysfunctional
members here that they take up this type of razor in a particular way,
but none have todate.

I have tried one ages ago and was impressed with the cut but not with
sharpening the silly things. Sharpening requires a skill not usual
these days.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eusebius wrote:
I also use the Mach 3. As long as you rinse the 'blade' thoroughly
after use it seems to last weeks :-)

thanks for the tip - any other satisfied shavers that can recommend
their favourite weapon?

Best I know is good old Wilkinson sword blades in the original safety
razor.

I have used Wilkinson FX Diamond twin blades for several years. The
flexible blade follows the contour of your face; I've had far fewer cuts
with these than any other blade.

Also, the diamond coating means the blades last many weeks (8 weeks is not
unusual). That must be the reason why Wilkinson seems to have discontinued
them as they are no longer available in the usual retailers!

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

EricP wrote:
Does anybody on this ng actually use a cut-throat?

I have tried one ages ago and was impressed with the cut but not with
sharpening the silly things.

It's the sort of thing which sounds a good idea but in practice really
only works if one has a manservant.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://www.carterandbond.com/browse....g:Razors,%20Cu...

Tony

Does anybody on this ng actually use a cut-throat?

There have been occasional suggestions to the more dysfunctional
members here that they take up this type of razor in a particular way,
but none have todate.

I have tried one ages ago and was impressed with the cut but not with
sharpening the silly things. Sharpening requires a skill not usual
these days.

You could learn - but strops can be expensive.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mikes" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Arthur2" wrote in message

"Eusebius" wrote in message
oups.com...
Am I the only one that finds it impossible to shave with multiblade
razors? They just clog up immediately with hair and soap. Hopeless.

And yet these we have to suffer 2, 4, 5, even 6 blade razors claiming
to be "smoother still"

What happened to the simple single blade disposable razors that
actually WORKED????

Am I missing something or has the world gone mad.

Does anyone have a friend that never needs to shave?...baldy armpits as
well!

I've had bald armpits since 1998 when I had radiation after breast cancer
surgery - but only one axilla was treated so I don't know why I'm bald
under both. Don't sweat there any more either, that's nice :-)

Mary

Lidl do triple blade disposibles for about 60p for 5.

Work fine. Use a couple of times and then discard.

er - I'm bald, axilliary ... don't need any shaving.

Not that I ever shaved under my arms anyway, what's the point?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eusebius wrote:
Am I the only one that finds it impossible to shave with multiblade
razors? They just clog up immediately with hair and soap. Hopeless.

They do work.
I think they started decades ago when Gillette employed two Phds to
research shaving. They fitted fibre-optics to a razor and discovered
that the blade pulled out the hair a bit before cutting it off.
The hair retracted too quickly for the human hand to pass again.
So the twin blade razor was born

Whether the effect is there from the 2nd blade I don't know but I find
the Wilkinson Sword Xtreme3 the best of the current bunch.
They don't clog if used correctly. Don't use soap for shaving use gel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-29 21:04:15 +0100, OldBill said:

Eusebius wrote:
Am I the only one that finds it impossible to shave with multiblade
razors? They just clog up immediately with hair and soap. Hopeless.

They do work.
I think they started decades ago when Gillette employed two Phds to
research shaving. They fitted fibre-optics to a razor and discovered
that the blade pulled out the hair a bit before cutting it off.
The hair retracted too quickly for the human hand to pass again.
So the twin blade razor was born

Whether the effect is there from the 2nd blade I don't know but I find
the Wilkinson Sword Xtreme3 the best of the current bunch.
They don't clog if used correctly. Don't use soap for shaving use gel.

The vibrator helps a bit as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
EricP wrote:
Does anybody on this ng actually use a cut-throat?

I have tried one ages ago and was impressed with the cut but not with
sharpening the silly things.

It's the sort of thing which sounds a good idea but in practice really
only works if one has a manservant.

Bet Andy Hall uses one then :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:
It's the sort of thing which sounds a good idea but in practice really
only works if one has a manservant.

Bet Andy Hall uses one then :-)

Aren't there complimentary in-flight shaves for super premium executive
business class passengers?

I thought it was only for First Class super premium executive business class
passengers.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:02:24 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

http://www.carterandbond.com/browse....g:Razors,%20Cu...

Tony

Does anybody on this ng actually use a cut-throat?

There have been occasional suggestions to the more dysfunctional
members here that they take up this type of razor in a particular way,
but none have todate.

I have tried one ages ago and was impressed with the cut but not with
sharpening the silly things. Sharpening requires a skill not usual
these days.

You could learn - but strops can be expensive.

Mary

Oh yes!

And they are only for final sharpening. "Setting" is also needed. Once
part of every barbers apprenticeship. Last barber I knew that could do
it retired twenty years ago. Horrible hand aching job apparently.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-30 08:33:00 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Owain wrote:
EricP wrote:
Does anybody on this ng actually use a cut-throat?
I have tried one ages ago and was impressed with the cut but not with
sharpening the silly things.

It's the sort of thing which sounds a good idea but in practice really
only works if one has a manservant.

Bet Andy Hall uses one then :-)

Good heavens no.... :-)

Mind you, I suppose that sharpening on the Tormek wouldn't be too hard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-30 09:40:58 +0100, Owain said:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
It's the sort of thing which sounds a good idea but in practice really
only works if one has a manservant.

Bet Andy Hall uses one then :-)

Aren't there complimentary in-flight shaves for super premium executive
business class passengers?

Owain

No there aren't.

Virgin Atlantic used to offer this in their Clubhouse lounge at
Heathrow and very nice it was too. After 11th Sept 2001, it was
scaled back to a safety razor and the lady uses rubber gloves. To be
honest, I don't really want that, so these days, the best offerings are
the haircut on the ground and the manicure in the air.

They do really nice bacon butties as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Owain
writes
The Medway Handyman wrote:
It's the sort of thing which sounds a good idea but in practice really
only works if one has a manservant.

Bet Andy Hall uses one then :-)

Aren't there complimentary in-flight shaves for super premium executive
business class passengers?

Since you like to wax lyrical, you need Brazilian Airlines, you do

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
The vibrator helps a bit as well.

So *that's* why the wife takes so long to do her legs... ;-)
--
Kenny
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-30 20:27:31 +0100, Kenny said:

In message , Andy Hall writes
The vibrator helps a bit as well.

So *that's* why the wife takes so long to do her legs... ;-)

Swap the U2s for 996 batteries and all will be well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:

I also use the Mach 3. As long as you rinse the 'blade' thoroughly
after use it seems to last weeks :-)

Another vote for Mach 3 here...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 06:11:29 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Frank Erskine wrote:

I also use the Mach 3. As long as you rinse the 'blade' thoroughly
after use it seems to last weeks :-)

Another vote for Mach 3 here...

My Fusion lasts 1 calendar month, but then so did my Mach 3.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Arthur2" wrote in message

"Eusebius" wrote in message
oups.com...
Am I the only one that finds it impossible to shave with multiblade
razors? They just clog up immediately with hair and soap. Hopeless.

And yet these we have to suffer 2, 4, 5, even 6 blade razors
claiming to be "smoother still"

What happened to the simple single blade disposable razors that
actually WORKED????

Am I missing something or has the world gone mad.

Does anyone have a friend that never needs to shave?...baldy armpits
as well!

I've had bald armpits since 1998 when I had radiation after breast
cancer surgery - but only one axilla was treated so I don't know why
I'm bald under both. Don't sweat there any more either, that's nice
:-)

My wife is half French - she only shaves one armpit :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eusebius wrote:
I also use the Mach 3. As long as you rinse the 'blade' thoroughly
after use it seems to last weeks :-)

thanks for the tip - any other satisfied shavers that can recommend
their favourite weapon?

Gillette M3 Power & any old foam. Vibrating thingy gives a great shave as
long as you rinse after every pass.

However, I do have a goatee beard & only shave around it, and only once a
week :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 19:51:20 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Eusebius wrote:
I also use the Mach 3. As long as you rinse the 'blade' thoroughly
after use it seems to last weeks :-)

thanks for the tip - any other satisfied shavers that can recommend
their favourite weapon?

Gillette M3 Power & any old foam.

I prefer Body Shop shaving cream to foam.

I even like old-fashioned hard shaving soap, applied with a brush.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. uk...

My wife is half French - she only shaves one armpit :-)

I can't see the point in anyone shaving at all - particularly only certain
areas*. There are some men with silly little apologies for beards and they
spend ages shaving ROUND them. What's the point?

Men grow hairy chins. Why argue with that?

Mary
* I've just thought of one - if hair would interfere with surgery, as it
would have done when my brain was seen to.

ACE Hardware ripoff Bob Home Repair 36 November 13th 12 12:46 PM
GE Ripoff Bob Home Repair 13 March 10th 07 04:19 PM
Bosch Ripoff Roo Home Repair 3 February 25th 06 04:27 AM
Dumpster ripoff? [email protected] Home Repair 22 January 15th 06 07:56 AM
Disposable razors was Staneley Knives [email protected] Metalworking 0 January 2nd 05 04:11 PM