Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thin render - one or two coats?

Hi, I have an extension built of thermalite blocks butting up to my
original house. The original part has a thin render coat,
approximately 1-2 cm thick. Should I render the extension with a
scratch and top coat or one single coat? Any other tips gratefully
received.
Thank you

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nafuk wrote:
Hi, I have an extension built of thermalite blocks butting up to my
original house. The original part has a thin render coat,
approximately 1-2 cm thick. Should I render the extension with a
scratch and top coat or one single coat? Any other tips gratefully
received.

Sounds like two coats would be easier. Use the scratch to try to leave
an even thickness for the finish coat. It does depend a bit on what sort
of finish you are after. If you just want rough cast[1] then you could
texture a single scratch coat and be done with it.

[1] note there seems to be a huge regional variation in what people
think of as rough cast.

--
Cheers,

John.

Mix for S&C render please? Kalico UK diy 3 October 21st 05 01:34 PM
Render. Picker UK diy 1 July 24th 05 03:21 PM
Plaster or render? Christian McArdle UK diy 1 October 22nd 04 02:44 PM
Interior render ? N. Thornton UK diy 5 July 4th 04 04:54 PM